Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 03:53 AM   #1  

HI everyone,

I have been meaning to get to the gym but each week goes by and it doesn't happen. I'm restricted by having to pick up my daughter at night (my husband works nights) and would love to have some machine or something in my home that I could do while watching TV. I don't have a lot of room for something but would like SOMETHING, anything to try that will be USED. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #2  
Losing it!

I've bought my share of exercise equipment and even own the Total Gym now.

I but if I really had to offer a suggestion I'd say go to Walmart and buy a set of 3 or 5 lb dumbbells/ankle weights. Then hit the library or video rental store and try out the different resistance training tapes or books. Before you invest an incredible amount of money on more exercise equipment - try the cheap route. I wish I did.

Personally, I like The Firm tapes. They combine aerobic and strength training intervals to supposedly give you 3 times the fat loss of aerobics alone. They claim visible results in 10 workouts. I've been using them about 5 weeks and the difference is noticable.

------------------
Mony
179/164/135
valentines day goal - 164....yes!
st. patricks day goal - 161

Progress not Perfection
Old 02-15-2001, 12:58 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I have to agree with Mony here -- if you can't make it to a gym then just buy some dumbbells/weights.

With exercise machines, you really get what you pay for -- spend a lot, get something great -- spend a little, get something suitable for hanging your clothes on(I know someone who uses the HealthRider [remember those?] that she paid $350 for as a towel valet in her bathroom). Personally I'd stay away from most of the stuff you see sold on those TV shopping networks, unless you get a 30-day guarantee (of course, shipping a big piece of equipment back is a real hassle!).

One of the advantages about going to a gym is that they have the bucks to buy and maintain those big stairclimbers, EFX's, treadmills, etc that we all love (right?).

If you don't have time or feel comfy in a gym you might check the exercise equipment stores in your area -- some of them might actually lease exercise equipment (plus you can try before you buy). Or if you have a bike, invest in a trainer (Blackburn or CycleOps are both good ones). They can be a little on the noisy side but you can get a great workout on them!

MrsJim
265/159/145
Old 02-15-2001, 01:56 AM   #4  

I agree with the others. A nice set of free weights and a few good videos is a great (and cheap) thing to do in front of the tv and takes up little space. I also love my aerobics step, which I use for everything from its intended step aerobics to weight lifting. Another thing I love is my exercise ball. It was cheap, and it gives me a super ab workout and stretch.

As for equipment...I broke down and bought a treadmill a few months ago, and I love it. I did so, however, after having gotten into a walking routine and then migrating to a consistent outdoor running routine. It's wonderful to not have to worry if the weather outside will affect my ability to run. The treadmill is a good investment for me, because I enjoy walking and running and can tolerate doing so on a treadmill (some can't).

If you do find that you want a machine eventually, a gym is a great place to try them out to discover which one you like and will use regularly. Even if you could manage a brief trial membership, it would give you a feel for which activities/machines appeal to you.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:03 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I have been a member of my local 24 Hour Fitness for six years now! My monthly fee hasn't changed ... $24 a month. Since I go six days a week on average, it is really a 'cheap luxury'. Another advantage is that they are open pretty much 24/7 (except on Christmas, Thanksgiving), since I'm a morning workout gal, makes it much more convenient for me.

Besides, my place is really small, I don't even have the space on my floor to work out, let alone have a piece of exercise equipment! When I use my wind trainer, I have to use the garage or my hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom!

MrsJim
Old 02-18-2001, 02:47 PM   #6  

Thank you ladies for the input. I did wind up joining a gym because I was so confused about equipment etc. I found a small women's gym that has babysitting and I can also go on Saturdays when my husband is home. There is a 24 hour fitness club near me and I'd love to join there since my club is not open on Sundays and closes early during the week. If I stay committed, I will research more gyms. Glad to hear from a satisfied 24 Hour Fitness member! I have been checking it out on their website!
Closed Thread