I need to know how to adjust my eating

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I don't know if I'm just worrying too quick, but I got an elliptical and have been unsing it and now I've gained three lbs back. I just want to know, what should I eat more or less of now that I'm exercising?
  • I wouldn't change a thing. Chances are you've only gained a bit of water weight. It could either be from sore muscles not used to exercising or the fact that aerobic exercise quickly increases the volume of blood plasma in your body. Exercising hasn't added fat to your body and that's all we care about, right?
  • meg is right about the sore muscles , that happens to my too , i weight myself and the do one hour and half of aerobics and i end weight 2 to 4 pound more , but in the morning it gone , that why the morning that i have to go and WI i don't do my exercise,i just do it in the afternoon , so i don't end gaining false weight, just keep doing what you doing
  • Oh, that's good to know. thanks ladies!
  • BA, I just want to reiterate what the others are saying. I have read as you begin an exercise routine (especially if you have done something to make your muscles sore) fluid will fill the muscles in part of the repairation process. I would say three pounds is normal but they will leave you just as quick as they came on in just a few days.
  • Food wise, It is best to exercise earlier in the day and eat after you work out. If you want to eat before, it should be good carbs - maybe some cereal or some rice cakes. Actually, even after you exercise, it's ideal to eat good carbs. I can't wait until I get an elliptical machine. Good luck!
  • Quote:
    Actually, even after you exercise, it's ideal to eat good carbs.
    Hm. I disagree slightly. After you exercise, it's a good idea to eat protein. Carbs before, protein after.

The reason is that your muscles need protein to mend from the exercising - this is especially important if you're doing any resistance or strength building exercise. And the muscles are MOST receptive to that input of protein within an hour after being worked hard.

I always have something with some complex carbs before I work out (usually 1/2 pb sandwich - protein and carbs) and then a protein shake w/in about 30 mins after I workout.

• good for you for starting exercising!
  • Regarding carbs after exercise, if you're ever going to eat simple carbs, that's the time. A carb + protein meal is often recommended after exercise because simple carbs act as fast glycogen resynthesisizers (getting glycogen back into depleted muscles) and help transport protein to muscles. Fast carbs = fast transport. As a matter of fact, a study a few years ago found that chocolate milk is the perfect post-exercise drink because of the 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein!

But we're talking moderation, of course.

I avoid sugar for lots of reasons so don't use it, even post-exercise. But after the gym is when I have my starchy carb of the day -- oatmeal -- since carbs seem to be best utilized after working out.
  • Ohhh thanks for the info... after I'm done world religions at school, I'm planning on doing a foods course. The course will teach me about all the carbs and proteins and stuff. Which will be perfect since I have very limited knowledge on foods. lol
  • That's a terrific idea, Ace!
  • The guidance counsellor at my school suggested it, never even came to my mind, but she told me it has all kinds of information about those things. My school is so supportive of me. They have this point pyramid thing where if you have 15 or more points saved up (points are used on sick days or days you take off, and earned by going to school 5 consecutive days in a row etc) anyways, the principle gets everybody with over 15 points pizza, once every two weeks or something. Since she knows what I'm doing she offered to get me my own salad, so I don't feel left out from the pizza! ahah she's such a sweety.
  • Convenient that chocolate milk is a good post exercise drink, because I have it quite often! I mix my protein powder in it sometimes, too...
  • What about just milk? How about cottage cheese, the label shows it has lots of protein, what should I eat it with?

Sorry for asking so many questions!!! <33
  • I found this good page of cottage cheese recipes!!!!
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23