Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/129.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

Exclamation ☼╟░░Get Fit at Home Thread░░╢☼

Welcome!

This is a new thread designed for those who get fit in the comfort of their own home or outdoors without the use of a gym. We believe that it is possible to get fit and stay fit at home. Perhaps you use exercise DVDs, a treadmill, an elliptical, other equipment, or a combination of these items.

The primary purpose of this thread is accountability and workout variety discussions.

Please feel free to post your daily workout accomplishments here.

We also discuss ideas for mixing up your workout routine at home with the use of new exercise DVDs, equipment, etc. Feel free to write reviews or ask questions about fitness DVDs or at-home fitness equipment.

Don’t forget to check out collagevideo.com where you can preview exercise videos before purchasing!

Have a great, fit day!
streudel423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/129.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

Hi!

I have been an at-home exerciser for about 10 years. I was a member of a gym for about four months last year, but transportation to and from the gym took nearly 45 minutes. Now that I workout at home, I'm more dedicated again and have more time to exercise each day. It's great to get up in the morning and head straight upstairs for a great workout!

I use a combination of exercise dvds, the treadmill and elliptical. My favorite videos are Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos. I own nearly 20 of her workouts! I also enjoy step aerobics videos. For toning, I use Denise Austin's Get Fit Fast, Hit the Spot Pilates, and Yoga Body Burn (all only 10 minute workouts, which is very convenient).

This morning, I did a 2 mile WATP video and 15 minutes on the elliptical. This evening, I'll do another 15 minutes of walking.

Hope everyone has a great evening, and I hope we can support each other here each day!
streudel423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi there,

I'm 40 and most of my life have been either an athlete or at least very active. I played sports through college, then took up cycling and rode a lot, doing a good bit of mountain biking and long road rides, including centuries. In my early 30s I had some health issues and, while I continued some cycling, the intensity and distance dropped dramatically.

The last few years I've been doing a lot of walking (I have a workout buddy and we like to walk FAST for an hour a few times per week), and I still do a bit of this and that (tennis, biking, etc.).

But recently (the last year maybe), I've really enjoyed doing workout dvds at home. It's such a time saver - I enjoy the privacy my home affords, and I have enough dvds now that I get a real variety. And I really enjoy the option of doing the dvds when it's either really hot or really cold (or raining) outside.

Yesterday my husband and I did Yoga Zones Stress Relief and Flexiblity (about 1 hour). I could never get him to a yoga class, but he actually enjoys doing it at home!

Today I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred -- Level 1 and Level 2 back to back. I thought I was going to die! It was pretty killer, but I do want to build up to Level 3.

So yes, I would say I'm now a home exerciser. In fact I put a "freeze" on my gym membership just this week.

Streudel - I'm jealous that you have your own elliptical - I'd love to have some equipment (besides my dumb bells and yoga mat)!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I am a reasonably new at-home exerciser... I have an elliptical trainer, a recumbent bike, a few small weights, a yoga mat, and DH just ordered a Weider Max home strength training system. I also use on demand exercise videos from exercise tv pretty frequently.

Lately I've been doing a 10 minute yoga warm up, either "Pilates for Abs" or "Abs & Back Workout" on demand and then 45 minutes on the elliptical with varying incline and resistance. I don't use the bike as often, but when I do it is usually 35 minutes - DH uses it more than me.

I need to mix things up a little - I know that i'm missing target groups and focusing too much on cardio, but I'm seeing some great fat burning result and have lost inches, so I'm afraid to change what is working! :-)

Exercise TV has a "Walk at Home" program and list Leslie Sansone as the trainer. Wonder if it is the same one you have? There are a lot of different episodes of it and it looks pretty cool.

Any suggestions for me on things to do?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #5  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I became an at-home exerciser last year after I moved and got a new job that had me driving a lot farther. That extra 20 minutes a day driving to the gym was just too much. I have tried early morning exercise but it hasn't been working for me. I typically exercise IMMEDIATELY after I get home from work at 6:30.

I have no elliptical or treadmill, although I'd really love to have one. Our house is VERY small and there's just no room. Even the living room where I do my workout videos is pretty cramped and there's a lot I can't manage in that space.

I was going strong with Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, and I've also gone through stages with Hip Hop Abs and Turbo Jam. I also try to walk at least 4 days a week for a half hour or more. I recently had something removed from my foot that caused me not to be able to wear sneakers or workout for awhile, so I'm just getting back into my routine. It's SO hard after missing a couple of weeks. This week I've just started Callanetics and I'm excited to see how it works. I also am walking more frequently for cardio.

I am definitely better at gym workouts and find it hard to keep myself motivated at home. A new gym close to me will be opening up in December (supposedly) and I can't wait to get back into that routine.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #6  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default I would like to join.

Hi there.

I would like to join your thread.

I workout at home and outside. I try to get in some stretching and toning at least four mornings a week. Pilates, yoga or Callanetics. Four - five evenings I either walk outdoors or use one of my Leslie Sansone dvds.

OnceUponaDrive, I did Callanetics for the first time in about 2 years yesterday. Afterwards my abdominal muscles burned. Today my thigh muscles burned. It was from Callan kicking my behind! When I did it a couple of years ago, it was only for about two weeks. I liked the results though. I felt stronger, straighter and more "drawn in".

Shannon, I say definitely keep doing what works! You'll probably end up throwing in some other types of exercise eventually anyway. Just to keep from getting bored.

Walking, you're so lucky to have a workout buddy. I would love one. Until then, I will keep going it alone.

Streudel, I'd love more of Leslie's dvds. She used to have a walk and yoga, but I don't think it's sold anymore.
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #7  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Hiya, I've just started this exercising at home lark.,
Today I did Billy Blanks Bootcamp vid and jogged a small length.
Im hoping to build on that. together it took 1hr and 15mins.
I rly hope this works!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #8  

Height: 5ft 2in

I have an exercise bike, a rowing machine and a step. My favourite exercise, if I have enough time, is to drive to the beach (20mins) and jog/walk on the damp sand. I live at the bottom of a steep hill and that should provide plenty of opportunity for getting puffed - but it is a narrow coutry road that the cars whiz up and down and there is no pavement - too dangerous on busy days.
Today I'm going to do a mini circuit on my equipment at home!
pufffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #9  

Hi girls!

Streudel - Thanks so much for starting this thread - seems there are quite a few of us working out at home instead of the gym!

My recent workouts:

Friday -- yoga in morning --45 min. Yoga Zone dvd with DH (it is a miracle that he is enjoying doing yoga with me), and Level 1 and Level 2 of 30 Day Shred. Can I just say I thought I was going to keel over during this???

Saturday -- 90 minute bike ride on road and fire trail. Beautiful day!

Today -- Plan is to walk in neighborhood alone with ipod (walking partner still out of town) and later on (after house cleaning) either Pilates dvd with resistance bands or Level 2 again (depends on my energy level)

Shannon - your home gym sounds pretty awesome! Do you have a room devoted to all your work out equipment? Currently I'm working out in our office (I have no large equipment, just my yoga mat!), but I would LOOOVE to have an exercise room. It sounds to be like you have a good routine going, and you say it's working; I would stick with what you're doing, until you get bored.

Once - I've been doing 30 Day Shred too -- It is BRUTAL! I have done Level 2 about 3x now and finally decided to just watch Level 3. Good gosh... I'm wondering if I'll be able to make it through that... what do you think??

Hi Amany! Yes, I am lucky to have a work out buddy - she's been out of town for over a week, and I have been doing lots at home. She and I are supposed to walk again this week. Sounds like you are doing great with your plan!

Angel - Lots of people seem to love the Billy Blanks - I've heard it's a killer workout. Do you have any other dvds? I really like the Jillian Michaels if you're looking for a very basic, quick, but very tough workout.

Puffin - What equipment do you have? And, where do you live??? Sounds gorgeous with hilly country roads and the beach so close by - wow! Too bad about the danged cars though.

I think this thread is going to keep me accountable with exercise. It's all good now, but I teach, and when school starts in 3 weeks I lose a lot of steam. I am going to try hard to continue my workouts and post them here!

Have a great day, girls!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[Claire
Puffin[/B] - What equipment do you have? And, where do you live??? Sounds gorgeous with hilly country roads and the beach so close by - wow! Too bad about the danged cars though.

I have an exercise bike, rowing machine and a step. Just tried to do a workout and the bike is not working AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! The pedals just whiz round with no resistance and no mileage appears on the screen. Now I am in a thoroughly bad temper and endangering today's food control by munching a handful of almonds for comfort. I live in Scotland by the way.

I'm off to kick the bike....

Last edited by pufffin; 08-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufffin View Post
I have an exercise bike, rowing machine and a step. Just tried to do a workout and the bike is not working AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! The pedals just whiz round with no resistance and no mileage appears on the screen. Now I am in a thoroughly bad temper and endangering today's food control by munching a handful of almonds for comfort. I live in Scotland by the way.

I'm off to kick the bike....
Ah... Scotland! How wonderful! So sorry about your bike - that stinks! I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to fix it. Maybe you could do your beach run today instead?? Resist those almonds! I've hidden mine in back of fridge because I kept getting into them...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Ah... Scotland! How wonderful! So sorry about your bike - that stinks! I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to fix it. Maybe you could do your beach run today instead?? Resist those almonds! I've hidden mine in back of fridge because I kept getting into them...
It's bucketing out there!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #13  

Quote:
It's bucketing out there!
Any dvds??
Old 08-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Any dvds??
Claire - I am in a very bad mood. You seem determined to snap me out of it. Yes I do have DVD's but I am too cross to do them. However...the sun is coming out!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #15  

Quote:
Claire - I am in a very bad mood. You seem determined to snap me out of it. Yes I do have DVD's but I am too cross to do them. However...the sun is coming out!
Ha, ha! I have lots of good practice snapping my husband out of his moods. Yay for sun. I am now lacing up to go on my "wog" (walk/jog). Need to get off the danged computer and move...

We can both report back later what we did... Ok, now I'm getting darn right pushy