Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #1  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

Height: 5'4"

Default HOW long do you exercise and how often???

I was just wondering how long most of you exercise per day and how many days a week you do it..

I'm starting to wonder if i'm trying to do too much as i'm not losing weight and am exhausted yet i keep aiming for doing at least an hour each day--- should i cut down or switch over to easier workouts ?? i'm doing the biggest loser workout and attempting to do some wii fit each day as well
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

I do just about as much as DisgruntledOne - cardio for 45-55 minutes, 7 times a week; toning for 45-60 minutes, three times a week.

My caloric intake is somewhere around 1800 calories a day; but I just try to be aware of my food intake (especially strictly limiting carbs) and I don't vigilantly calorie-count. However, TheDailyPlate helps a lot with estimates.

Good luck, and hope I helped!
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Cardio: On my exercise bike 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour. I do 30 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training and then 15 to 30 minutes of mellower steady state. However, this is a bit of an increase for me in the last, oh, month or so. For the first 35 pounds of loss, I did 30 minutes a day, every day -- alternating between HIIT and SS. I also walk three days a week with my mom -- but because she can't go all that fast, it is more like sauntering.

Resistance Training: Every other day I do a routine that includes two fifteen rep sets, using resistance bands, for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and chest. Then I do some floor work including crunches (regular, straight leg and bicycle...ugh), push ups, two types of leg lifts and a lovely little thing I call "peeing the dog" which looks exactly like it sounds...and it hurts like ****.

Oh, and for the first 35 pounds of loss, I ate around 1500 calories a day and averaged just a touch over two pounds a week of weight loss. As I got closer to goal, I wanted to slow down my loss so I upped my calories to 1800, stalled out for a while at 145 lbs, dropped my calories down to 1700 and added that extra 15-30 minutes of cardio...things are now toodling along again at around a pound a week or so.

Last edited by Schumeany; 11-15-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I dont think you are over doing the time you exercise, but the intensity might be too much if you are exhausted. also, may need to add some calories, or some good carbs for energy. are you on a multi vitamin? that might help too.

I do about 50 min of cardio 4-5 times a week, and 30 min of strength training every other day. also stretching. an hour is not too long, so maybe just lighten up your work out a bit
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are just starting to exercise, then it may be your body getting used to it. Also, it may be what you are eating or what you aren't eating.

I don't think an hour every day is too much. I try to do an hour every day myself with a mix of running, swimming and weights.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #6  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

thanx everyone for the great feedback--- i dont know my calorie count--- i need to start tracking it---but yes like some of you stated i honestly dont think i consume enough--- and that might be my biggest problem-- -i'm also going to switch around the routine so that i get some easier ones in there--- and no i dont take a multi-vitamin --- oh and maybe i should since i've always been slightly anemic --- that might be what it is ---
oh and i've only been at this working out thing for about 2 months---
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I exercise about an hour a day, 5-6 days a week.

3x per week is 30 mins of weight lifting, followed by 30 mins of ss-cardio
2x per week is ab work and stretching, followed by 30 mins of HIIT cardio
Then one day a week I try to do something active as opposed to going to the gym. On weekends I work, I get a pretty good workout at work (I photograph weddings). Otherwise I'll pop in a DVD or try to go for a long brisk walk, or try out roller blading, or something like that just to be moving.

One day a week I rest.

So a few thoughts on being exhausted:

1 - If I don't eat enough and especially if I don't eat enough protein I am wiped out. I aim for 1500 or so calories a day, and 35% of that from protein (about 120g of protein a day).
2 - I definitely sleep more now that I'm working out on a regular basis. I used to get by on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I can't do that like I used to. I still keep long hours, but 6-7 hours of sleep a night is a must, especially if I'm working out hard.
3 - If you're just starting out, it will take your body a while to get used to the extra activity. You'll find after a while, if you're eating right, you will actually have more energy and feel much better by keeping up with regular workouts.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/169/150

Height: 5'5"

My goal is 40-45 minutes 4-5 days per week. I also walk a fair amount, but don't factor that into my workout time.
hush hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

most weeks i aim for 5-6 days of at least 45 minutes. If i'm having a particularly busy week, i cut down to just 20-30 min as many days as i can just so i don't get out of habit.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #10  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I aim for 1500 or so calories a day, and 35% of that from protein (about 120g of protein a day).
PC, that's a lot of protein! Do you mind if I ask if there's a specific reason for having that amount?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #11  

Quote:
PC, that's a lot of protein! Do you mind if I ask if there's a specific reason for having that amount?
It's not really that much. I think you'll find a lot of people here aim for a similar figure - either 30% or 100+g.

If you study nutrition from the perspective of an athlete's diet - especially weight lifters, eating more protein is recommended. The main reason is this: Muscles are built from protein. So when you're consistently working your muscles and working them hard, you need to to consume enough protein to repair and build and then maintain those muscles.

Secondary to that is that our bodies have no mechanism to store protein for later use - what isn't used by your body is excreted. So if you're working your body hard, and you haven't eaten any (or much) protein at that point, your exercise will be less productive and your muscles will take longer to recover and to grow - because there are no stores of protein to draw on.

Hence ... eating a lot of protein at frequent intervals throughout the day, but especially within an hour or less of working out.

Also some studies have shown (and my personal experience bears out) that eating a higher protein diet helps control hunger better, and makes you feel more satisfied with what you eat for longer.

When I started lifting weights, I started increasing my protein intake and I found I lost weight faster and I recovered from a workout faster. I get in at least 1/2 of my daily protein in the evening - a protein drink after I work out and then protein with dinner.

But I also find that if I make sure to eat protein with every meal and snack, I don't get the hunger cravings that I used to, and I find myself feeling less snacky overall.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #12  
=D

PhotoChick - I'm trying to understand what you explained in your post.

Do you mean protein is excreted as in completely eliminated from the body?

I don't believe that's the case - a surplus of protein (when it comes to calories) is just like any other - if it isn't used, it becomes stored as fat in the body. The conversion of protein into adipose tissue is a more strenuous process than the conversion of fat into adipose, but it still happens.

When you say "Secondary to that is that our bodies have no mechanism to store protein for later use - what isn't used by your body is excreted." are you referring to the amino acids in the protein or the calories?
We know that the body's mechanism to store unused protein calories is just like with any other unused fat/CHO/protein calories - they are stored as fat if they are not used in glycogen or ATP production.

Also, you say muscles are built of protein - absolutely true - but then you mentioned:

"if you're working your body hard, and you haven't eaten any (or much) protein at that point, your exercise will be less productive and your muscles will take longer to recover and to grow - because there are no stores of protein to draw on."

- we have our muscles (built of protein) to draw from. It's not the best way to get by, but it is what the body resorts to when other energy sources become depleted.

I found some info on a website which supports what I'm saying:

"Protein is broken down into amino acids in the stomach and small intestine, then distributed via the liver to cells throughout the body for a variety of uses included cell formation and repair. Some surplus protein amino acids are kept circulating in the bloodstream, the remainder is either converted into a type of simple sugar and used as energy, or (like carbohydrate) is converted to fatty acid and stored in adipose cells."

http://www.annecollins.com/body-fat-...ssue-guide.htm

I agree with you about the effectiveness of protein in controlling appetite - but I'm not sure that a lot of protein should be distributed in intervals throughout the day. For the average person, there's no need to fuel the body with protein more than 3 or 4 times a day, and if more than that - no more than small amount is really needed. (Obviously different depending on the individual's activity levels and lean body mass)

I also agree that athletic (and generally active) people absolutely need more protein so that their muscles have the ability to repair and recover. Sedentary individuals don't need as much, as they aren't having as much damage done to their muscles.

Upon reconsideration and taking into account what you said - I guess 120g isn't as much as I'd initially thought - but personally I find that I function pretty well on anywhere from 80 - 100 grams per day, and I'm a very active individual.

Of course, we're different and I respect that people have varying nutritional needs, but I just wanted to explain why the number you gave surprised me.

Last edited by mazza; 11-23-2008 at 04:12 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

And lots of us (nonsedentary, losing weight, building muscle, no raging appetite get less than 80g of protein most of the time, and do just fine .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #14  

Why do I feel like I'm being attacked for my diet choice here?

I feel like I have to defend what I eat or why I eat it when it's working for me. If I had said that everyone else should eat the same way, I can see the responses here, but I never said that. I said this is how *I* eat (and several people on the board eat the same way).

I don't think 120 g is an excessively large amount. Most weight lifters aim for 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight to support muscle growth.

I do believe that eating protein throughout the day helps even out metabolism, sustain muscles, and curb appetites. There are studies that show it works, there are studies that question it - like everything. I've found that for *me* it does work.

Really, enough. I'm done.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Why do I feel like I'm being attacked for my diet choice here?

I feel like I have to defend what I eat or why I eat it when it's working for me. If I had said that everyone else should eat the same way, I can see the responses here, but I never said that. I said this is how *I* eat (and several people on the board eat the same way).

I don't think 120 g is an excessively large amount. Most weight lifters aim for 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight to support muscle growth.

I do believe that eating protein throughout the day helps even out metabolism, sustain muscles, and curb appetites. There are studies that show it works, there are studies that question it - like everything. I've found that for *me* it does work.

Really, enough. I'm done.

Uh, PC, really? Are you serious? No one remotely attacked you. With all due respect, seriously, I think only you can answer why you feel attacked.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-23-2008 at 12:58 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote