Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Help for my dad...

My father (63) is a long haul truck driver who rarely gets an opportunity to get out and exercise. Now his doctor has told him that exercise is a MUST, and he MUST lose weight. He's taking more care with what he eats out on the road, but exercise is hard to come by for him. Changing jobs two years from retirement isn't an option. In his truck he's got room to stand up in the sleeper, so it's possible he could use some type of equipment there.

I'm looking into those little portable machines, like portable stair steppers and mini bikes. Also some weights. Anyone have any suggestions about these things...like do they work?

I've lost a lot of weight using mainly a recumbent bike, so I know a bike will give a workout. Just not sure about the mini ones...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mindi - Is it possible for him to walk while he is out on the road?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #3  

He can walk some...but spends a lot of time in the northeast, rainy and cold, and a lot of time in big places like Los Angeles, Houston and Seattle. So he's a little bit afraid to get out in most places.

I've been encouraging him to walk as much as possible, and get over his aversion to chicken and start eating more of that at restaurants! I'm also going to suggest that one of the family members get him a portable oven for his truck for Christmas, so he can take and eat his own food, rather than eating out all the time.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #4  

He goes to the same areas a lot...but you can't really park an 18 wheeler in their parking lots....I'm really considering the little bike....
Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

How about just marching in place, step ups or knee raises.
Squats and lunges get your heart rate up.
Push ups, too!!
You can get exercise without equipment
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #6  

he must change his diet , eat less high GL carbs , to eat lean meat and vegetables , if he is on a road he can take with him protein powder and greens powder and some almonds and he can eat that , that is great MRP
Markoni is offline   Reply With Quote