3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   i dont get it? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/155688-i-dont-get.html)

HVEECK 11-05-2008 02:58 AM

i dont get it?

my work out of choice is the elyptical. I feel like i get a real good work out on it, and i burn lots of calories:yes: I know you are suppose to mix it up a bit in order to keep your metabolism going strong, so i recently started doing the stair stepper on alternate days. I feel like I work out much harder on the stair stepper, even on a pretty low level:o I feel like i should be burning tons of calories on the stair stepper because of how much harder it feels, but I dont:?: I burn twice as much on the eliptical than i do on the stair stepper even tho i feel like i get a better workout on the stair stepper. just thought i'd put this out there to see if anyone could shed some light on this for me. thanks;)

JoyfulVegGirl 11-05-2008 03:39 AM

How are you estimating calories burned? Are you going by the machine readouts or do you wear a heart-rate monitor or use an online calculator...?

There is a huge variance in machine readouts. Some are way over, some are way under. Same with online calculators. Everyone is built differently, our metabolisms and muscles are different, so no reading is going to be completely accurate (and sometimes, they're not even close.)

If you're wearing a heart-rate monitor then I'd guess that it might be because the elliptical has you using your upper body as well as lower, but that's just a guess.

cher37 11-05-2008 11:09 AM

I agree w. JoyfulVegGirl - each machine is different & not entirely accurate - the best way to go would be with a heart rate monitor.

If this can give you any encouragement HVEECK - keep it up with the stairmaster/climber!!!!! whenever Bob or Jillian want people to burn more calories/fat, especially at last chance workout, they'll put people on the stairmaster! The legs have the largest muscle group, working those muscles increasing metabolism = weight loss!! & to make sure you get the max. workout - if you can, don't hold on to the bars, use your arms for balance or at your hips!

Keep up the good work :)

PhotoChick 11-05-2008 11:23 AM

I agree that the first question that needs to be answered is how are you determining the number of calories you're burning? If you're just relying on the machine readout, then you really can't use that as any kind of guideline.

The only thing that affects the number of calories you burn *while exercising* is how high your heart rate goes. The higher your heart rate, the more calories you will burn.

However, the *while exercising* part is important. Because although you may get your heart rate up higher while working on the elliptical, the resistance of the stair stepper may be building more muscle that remains metabolically active long after you get off the machine.

There are a lot of variables here ... and like I said, it all depends to start with, on how you're calculating your calories. :)

HVEECK 11-05-2008 05:22 PM

Yeah, i was just using the machine read outs! I guess i should get a HR monitor. that makes me feel better about it tho, because I really think i MUST be burning more calories on the stair stepper since it is so much more strenuous. thanks!!! I really like the stair stepper, mainly because i feel like i get such a good work out :) i will keep it up. I am going to do the elyptical one day, then the stair master the next. I like them both. thanks again

mazza 11-05-2008 09:37 PM

Are you holding on to the stair stepper's handles?

chunckymonkey 11-05-2008 09:51 PM

I tried the stepper for the first time tonight for I too always worked out on the elliptical - I could not last as long nor did I wanna. Wow, after 10 minutes my legs felt like jelly and I was exhausted. I watch the Biggest Loser weekly and never paid attention to what machines they were working out on - I have been solely amazed on the floor exercises - anyways, my weigh in is Fri and I shall be working on the stepper with hands off.

Thank all of you for the info...

Great thread

HVEECK 11-05-2008 11:30 PM

yes, i hold onto the handles :(
i know its a better work out if you dont. I have recently started going hands free on the elyptical for a few minutes at a time. which is a lot harder on the legs. I have a hard time with the balance, but im sure that will improve after a while. I will try it on the stair master too;)
chunkymonkey, i felt the same way when i first tried it a couple weeks ago. I was like "wow, this is hard!!" but, i liked it because i knew it had to be a good work out. I started out with twenty minutes and hopefully will get up to 40 like i do on the elyptical.

FB 11-06-2008 12:37 AM

The stair stepper is physically harder for me, but burns less according to my heart rate monitor. My heart rate goes about 20 points below that of an elliptical workout. HTH!

MotoMichelle 11-06-2008 11:39 AM

Hmm I experience quite the opposite. I have a very hard time getting my HR up on the elliptical even with the ramp and resistance set high. The stairmill, though, has my heart pounding and I'm generally pouring sweat by the end.

Also there's a difference between stair-steppers and a stairmill. I've found the stairmills to be more difficult and efficient for my workout.

Grab a HR monitor and see which machine works you out best. ;)