Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

Default cardio vrs muscle workout timing

Okay, I went to sign back up at the gym today and I was talking to the guy signing me up. He said something that I didn't quite understand and I was hoping someone could tell me if it was BS or what it's really about.

He said that working out cardio at you target heart rate for x amount of time jumpkicks your metabolism into working for a few hours after. Then he said, if you do cardio for less time and then add weight training/lifting the metabolism stays with you for much longer.

It just surprised me because I had always heard you should do cardio for 40-60 mins at least - and here he says it's more time effective and efficient to do less cardio and then supplement with weights. It just sounds weird to me.
mistypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #2  

I'm guessing he means high intensity interval training for 15-20 minutes coupled with weight training

If you have just started working out u cant do HIIT straight away, so just stick with regular cardio until you are comfortable with that.
ROFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
He said that working out cardio at you target heart rate for x amount of time jumpkicks your metabolism into working for a few hours after. Then he said, if you do cardio for less time and then add weight training/lifting the metabolism stays with you for much longer.
He's correct.

Combining cardio with weights and combining steady state (ss-cardio) with high intensity interval training (HIIT-cardio) is far more efficient.

Lifting weights will help you build muscle (and no, you won't bulk up - women don't have the testosterone in their bodies that allows them to bulk like men. women who bulk have to WORK at it really hard with weights and diet). Muscle is metabolically active - so that means that the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn, even at rest.

HIIT cardio also creates an "afterburn" effect, where you continue to burn extra calories for several hours after your workout, whereas ss-cardio doesn't raise your metabolism in that way.

When I added weights and HIIT to my exercising it's like my weight loss took off again. Also my entire body shape changed. I said this in another thread just this morning ... I look better now at 160 and lifting weights than I ever did at a skinny and out of shape 120.

Also, I do believe you can start out with HIIT. Does that mean you can do 6 cycles of it for 20 or 30 mins. Nope. Sometimes *I* can barely do 30 mins of it. But even one or two cycles of HIIT is beneficial and before you know it you'll be doing more and more and more. Don't ever say "you can't" ... because if you say it, that's the way it'll be. Start slow and build up and you can do almost anything!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-18-2008 at 10:34 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6.5

Photochick, in case no body told you today, I love you! I love reading your posts and still look forward to buying one of those outfits on your blog when I reach my goal weight!!!

I was just looking at HIIT cardio training and you sealed the deal for me. As you know, I've been doing the C25K an am almost done with it...a LITTLE frustrated that I'm still at that 160ish mark but happy that I can officially call myself a runner now. Starting next week I am going to do one day of 30 mins of straight running and the other days HIIT training. Maybe that give the weight loss the kick in the butt it needs!!!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #5  

Jamie - you're gonna make me cry again!

I think you'll love (and hate) the HIIT. I know it's helped my stamina and my weight loss. I'm hoping that the stamina I've built doing HIIT will help as I start working on my 5k training.

I"m excited and scared all at the same time. I've never run any kind of race before!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, no one should be doing 40-60 minutes of cardio unless they absolutely love it and want to. I started running and expect to run for more than 40 minutes at some point but its because I want to not because I NEED to.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6.5

haha! GOOD! I like making people cry!

I've never run any kind of race before either...only military PT tests, WHICH I HATE and fail.....I think that is why I've always been so afarid to really give running a go. I was always trying to run because I "had" to....and would always give up because I could never do it. Now that I'm doing it because I WANT to do it, it's such a woman power feeling....

I was looking foward to getting into a local triathalon next summer but I think I'm going to enter a 5K instead first. I tried doing the run, bike, and swim the other day at the gym and it was NOT a good time for me....
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jamie,

For training, I wouldn't recommend doing all 3 on the same day. You should only do all 3 on the day of the triathlon I have a 5k coming up in less than 3 weeks. After that, I'm going to aim for a 10k.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
Photochick, in case no body told you today, I love you! I love reading your posts and still look forward to buying one of those outfits on your blog when I reach my goal weight!!!
There's outfits? (My inner clothes-horse is starting to wake up these days )
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #10  

Oooh .. yes. The outfits. Maybe I need to post more to encourage myself.

My blog is linked under my avatar ... go visit and see!