3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Exercising With An Injury (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/155294-exercising-injury.html)

paniania 10-30-2008 05:11 PM

Exercising With An Injury

Hello All:

I began having foot pain a while ago (end of September) in the ball of my foot right below the big toe. It took me about three weeks to get in to see a doctor (I know, I know, a long time. I can thank the HMO system and it's lovely gift to society of referrals.). It seems that I have sesamoiditis (he's not entirely sure though because I had to get a separate referral to get an x-ray and I'm still waiting on that one.)

Does anyone else have that? It seems to be a recurrent type of condition that makes it painful to walk let alone run.

Since it started, I completely fell off the exercise band wagon, but I have to get back on some how. I can't just be a couch potato for the rest of my life. Anyone have any exercise recommendations that are easy on the feet? I'm thinking stationary bike, but I can't just do that. I think I'd die from boredom.

This sucks, I'm too young to have this sort of problem! :mad:

gina1221 10-30-2008 06:43 PM

I have a non-union break of the sesamoid bone which threw me off the exercise wagon for several months. The podiatrist did give me orthopaedic inserts to wear for 6 weeks and this greatly improved the discomfort. I am back to wearing heels after 3 months and just ran for the first time again last night.

I was told that mine was an overuse injury - I was training for a triathlon but had to drop out because of the break and just 3 weeks before the triathlon too. :(

I'm taking the running slowly now since the podiatrist didn't give me good odds of it healing without surgery, however, that is a broken sesamoid (confirmed by x-rays) and not sesamoiditis.

I did a lot of research when I first found out and was absolutely devastated but things are improving. :crossed:

I was told that I could continue swimming and biking as long as there was not pressure or impact on the ball of the foot - this is not easy with biking.

So if you have access to a pool, swimming might be a good option with little impact on the sesamoid.

I wish you the best and a fast recovery. :hug:

Ami12345 10-30-2008 07:59 PM

floor work is a good option. i rolled my ankle & can't use it, so i've been doing crunches, push-ups, leg lifts, pilates exercises, etc. on the floor... u can do lots of strength & conditioning & maybe even get a good heart rate going if u try hard enough... hope u get better soon!

Schumeany 10-30-2008 09:03 PM

Hey now, no knocking the stationary bike. :) It is my primary form of cardio exercise. I love it BECAUSE it is mindless. I watch TV, and I do High Intensity Interval Training on my bike for 30 to 40 minutes everyday. I also walk a few days a week and I do strength training with resistance bands. It is all very low impact, but combined with calorie counting, I have lost close to 40 pounds in about 4 months.

Do you belong to a health club? You might also try the eliptical -- it is pretty low impact. Or some clubs have rowing machines. They get your heart really pumping without putting any strain on your feet at all.

Good luck!