Bike or running

• I don't really know if this is the correct place for this (move it if it isnt)!!!

BUT.....I was wondering, Is biking or running better for losing weight. Which is better for the body? Or is it personal preference...
    Either way I will be asking Santa for bike for Christmas (or Tax tame !LOL!) this year. Opinions welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
  • I would think running. Thats just my opinion anyway.
  • Do they have to be mutually exclusive?

Variety may keep you motivated to continue your workouts.

I don't know which burns more calories but a quick google search says that running burns more calories than biking but no sense in limiting yourself.

If you enjoy bike riding or maybe can bike ride to do a few errands you will accomplish two things at once.
  • Running is much more productive then regular stationary biking IMO...but many people really DO NOT like to run. If biking is something you think you would stick to, DO IT! Both are great exercise.

Running uses your whole body where biking is typically just your lower half.
  • Do you mean like a road/mountain bike or an indoor bike?

Biking outdoors can burn tons of calories, especially in hilly areas. It also utilizes upper body and core muscles. Biking inside is a bit different especially on a recumbent bike but you can still get a good workout.

With running, you can burn tons of calories but it should be approached gradually. Get good running shoes (fitted at a running store) and follow a plan such as couch to 5k. Look into what clothes you'd need for running outside (hat, glasses, reflective gear, whicking, etc).
  • Thank you for the Great replies!
    I was talking about biking outside...in the elements.
    I cant really bike here in the snow, But I can run and now that I found an awesome site to "teach" me how to run- I'm going to try it! Im going to finish the 30 day shred and then start running every week as well as indoor exercise. Lets hope I can keep to the Schedule.
  • Biking outside and running both burn a ton of calories. Biking will be easier on on your joints, but variety, as mentioned before, is key.
  • Variety is the spice of life, do both ....

Last Christmas DH bought me a bike rack so I could bike in the house with my own bike, I love it... I've set up a corner of the basement with a TV and when it's not nice out, I go and bike for a while ...
  • Both!
  • I'd LOVE to start running, but it kills my ankles and knees. I've lost 80 pounds using a recumbent bike and elliptical trainer...but I'm sick to death of them after more than a year. Like everyone's saying...mix it up and do it all!
  • Thank you all! I will defiantly spice it up with running AND biking!! I cant wait to be on a bike again! lol
  • Try to avoid running on hard surfaces at first, though - it will kill your knees.