Burning calories at work?

• I was wondering if anyone knew how many calories I'd be burning while at work?

I work at Tesco on the checkout and my Dad seems to think I wouldn't be burning hardly anything but there's a lot of twisting involved, and stretching especially when you have to push the shopping right to the end for the customers, then twist back around to get the next items.

There can also be a bit of heavy lifting, especially towards the weekends when people buy the big packs of lager and it's us that has to lift and scan them lol

I realise it might not be a lot, seeing as you're sitting down but I'd like to know that I'm doing something that could make at least a little difference

Thanks!
  • We all burn calories doing everything. That said, I'd say what you're burning is minimal unless you are consistantly moving without stopping. What you can do is pick up a heart rate monitor watch pretty cheap ($35-$45) at even Wal-Mart and you can set it up to see how many calories you tend to burn while at work. In the end though, it's all about keeping that heart rate up.
  • Quote: We all burn calories doing everything. That said, I'd say what you're burning is minimal unless you are consistantly moving without stopping. What you can do is pick up a heart rate monitor watch pretty cheap ($35-$45) at even Wal-Mart and you can set it up to see how many calories you tend to burn while at work. In the end though, it's all about keeping that heart rate up.
    I was thinking about buying a monitor of some sort, would one of them calorie burner pedometers do the same thing? Or are they the same thing?

It's a pretty busy store so most of the time I get finished with one persons shopping, look up and there's always people there waiting!