3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Please help -- my calves are BURNING!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/154011-please-help-my-calves-burning.html)

shannonmb 10-13-2008 10:42 PM

Please help -- my calves are BURNING!!!

I hope someone here has some advice or words of encouragement for me.

I started exercising about 2 months ago, and I have been loving it. I do strength training with a trainer 2 days a week, and try to get in at least 3 other days of cardio. I'm already seeing so much more definition in some of my muscles, and feeling SO energized. :carrot:

Here's my problem...My calves :mad:. I did all this testing at my gym that is supposed to tell you what your individual resting metabolic rate is, and different zones to get your heart rate to during cardio. (They have you wear this freaky mask and it is supposed to measure CO2 output at rest and on the treadmill). Unfortunately, when I walk on the treadmill, I CAN'T get my heart rate up to the level they suggest because my darn calves start hurting so bad I can't even continue. What the heck???

Is it lactic acid? Will it get better if I keep trying to push myself? Even when I walk at a lower heart rate than suggested, I still get winded and a great sweat going. Do I just need to be patient and listen to my body? Egads, if I had never had all that EXPENSIVE, personalized testing, I wouldn't be frustrated with what I'm doing, I'd be proud!!

Please help!!! :(

chunckymonkey 10-13-2008 11:14 PM

Hi, there are two different discussions going on in my household to answer your question. Husband says it is the lactic acid and you need to push through it. Lactic acid also cause the cramping some experience after exercising. I'm thinking that the treadmill is causing too much stress on your joints. There are two types of elliptical machines - (1) is just for the legs while the other type you move both your arms and legs. I find more calories are burnt with less pain. Also, you may try taking a couple of aspirin or some type of omega 3 to help...Good Luck!

FB 10-14-2008 12:00 AM

I agree - find a different way to get your cardio in, no need to be in pain. I think the elliptical is a great choice for workouts, it does hurt less while burning lots of calories.

Oh, ETA: I don't do the treadmill often, but have found it's immensely more comfortable if you warm up with something else first, elliptical, stairstepper, ect. I too have had the pain you describe in the past but do not know the cause.

Schumeany 10-14-2008 01:29 AM

Sweaty is not a problem, and a little breathless is OK, but if you are so breathless that you can't talk then I would stop being so stressed out about getting your heartrate into some arbitrarily set zone. Everyone's resting heart rate is different and everyone's cardiozone is different. Really, the main question is are you losing weight? If you are in awful pain, you will not keep up the exercise. Better to exercise at a level that you will be able to keep up, and see if the weight still keeps coming off. As your weight drops, the exercise will get easier, and your calves will probably burn less. In the meantime, stop stressing out so much, listen to your body, and maybe try the Eliptical or something else that is less hard on you. Or, stick to the treadmill and just take it down a notch -- there is no need to kill yourself to get the whole weight loss thing done. Good Luck!

shannonmb 10-14-2008 08:05 AM

I appreciate it ladies! I'm going to try the elliptical next time. I never have before, I'll see how that goes!

Schumeany, I'm going to listen to my body! I knew it, but it helps to see it in black and white. I HAVE been losing weight, only weighing once a month, but I'm getting smaller! I feel it! Gotta keep doing what I can do LONG TERM!

Thanks again!!!