Question about treadmill and time vs speed

• What do you think would be better. 30 minutes at a straight 3.2 or going up and down anywhere from 2.5 to 4.3 for 30 minutes.

I've been doing the up and down thing, cause I can jog a little, but 5 or 6 minutes is my limit bc I feel like my legs are gonna give out on me. So, then I go down to 2.5 and gradually make my way up again. What do you guys think?
  • Personally, I like to vary my miles from 3.2 to 4.6. It keeps things interesting and I can definately feel it in my thighs. Having the incline up and going at 3.2-4.2 is a workout for another day. Depending on how I feel, I do 20-30 minutes of each.
  • I go up and down too. I've heard this is actually more effective because it keeps your body guessing so it never settles into one routine.

But I think the most important thing is finding a way to exercise that you'll stick to, even if it's slightly less effective. I've found that switching speeds and resistances keep it more interesting, so I'm more likely to do it!
  • I like to vary the speed I walk at too (although I'm not on a treadmill, I walk on a bike trail.) I do short bursts of running, slower walking, and faster walking. I agree that it keeps it interesting, and I've read that it's a better workout that way too.
  • when i'm on the treadmil i tend to do as my music - if it's a slow song i lower the speed and incline if it's a moderate pace song i pick up the speed and incline if it's real pumped up fast i jog/run.
  • I also have been told by my trainer that it's a better workout to go up and down. That way you'll keep improving your fitness instead of just staying with the status quo. I bet if you keep that up, you'll be able to go at the faster speeds for longer, then be able to even kick it up from there!!!

Great job!!!!!
  • The problem here is that those numbers are meaningless when trying to determine "best" - because we're all individual and we all have different fitness levels.

What's BEST is the amount of exercise that gets your heart rate up. As far as losing weight, many studies have shown that interval training is the most effective. Interval training is where you get your heart rate up as high as you can go for a short period of time (most people can do 20-30 seconds at that intensity) and then lower it back down to a mid-level intensity for about 2 mins. Then repeat the cycle again for about 20-30 mins.

If you can't/won't do that kind of interval training, then making sure you get your heart rate up to a medium intensity level and keeping it there for at least 30 mins is important for both building cardiovascular endurance and for losing weight.

What numbers on the tread mill get you there - that's totally up to you!