3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Walking speed (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/153629-walking-speed.html)

LandonsBaby 10-08-2008 08:49 PM

Walking speed

How fast do you walk? I'm talking about just walking, not jogging or running. Today it took me 45 minutes to walk 2 miles. That was actually pretty good time for me. I didn't jog at all this time, just walking. My hubby thinks I'm slower than a snail. I know I am slow..and I am just 4'9" but I'm wondering how if I'm so slow it's ridiculous?

nelie 10-08-2008 09:26 PM

A standard casual walking speed is 3 miles per hour. Some people walk a bit faster, some a bit slower.

LandonsBaby 10-08-2008 09:39 PM

my casual walking speed is definately way slower than 3mph. i wasn't trying to walk casually so by your comments, yes, i am indeed slower than a snail when i exercise. :D

traveling michele 10-08-2008 10:07 PM

You do sound kinda slow but I think your height does have a lot to do with it. The shorter your legs are, the shorter your strides are, and the more strides you have to take to walk the same distance as a taller person.
I wouldn't worry about your speed.
Being active is the important part! As you get more healthy, your speed will likely increase.

LandonsBaby 10-08-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveling michele (Post 2400970)
Being active is the important part! As you get more healthy, your speed will likely increase.

I've been walking for YEARS. I don't seem to get any faster..I just get bored and jog instead. :D

stacylambert 10-08-2008 10:40 PM

I feel like such a slooooow walker too. I'm average as far as height (5'6") but my legs are way too short proportionally. I always have to buy petite jeans or they go way over my feet. It's definitely related to your height and I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your walking that's all that matters!

kelly315 10-08-2008 10:53 PM

I have a hard time keeping up with my bf too. Short legs definatly don't help. I've been walking for exercise a bit lately, and though I'm getting more used to walking, I haven't noticeably sped up much...so I'll blame it on my short little legs.

LandonsBaby 10-08-2008 11:02 PM

I think if I could get a decent pair of shoes (I wear a size one in kids) I would have less leg pain in my right leg, and therefore could walk faster. As of the last 3-4 years I get pain in this leg and it will NOT ease up until I take off my shoes. It makes it difficult to walk, shaving time off my already slow pace.

Losing4another 10-08-2008 11:47 PM

Yep me too...I'm 5' 1 and walk one mile in 20 mintues. I just started back at the gym so i'm hoping I get faster the more fit I become.

Landonsbaby- You have tiny feet. My 12 year old daughter is around 4'7 -4'8 and wears a 3 in kids sometimes a 4. I wear a 6 1/2 . Look online for shoes I do that for my daughter. Shes ready to dress all grown up but it's hard to find what she likes in her sizes....Shopping online makes life easier LOL

gatorgirl6 10-09-2008 05:47 AM

I walked in a charity 5K (~3.1Miles) and it took me 48min. I didnt feel at all like I was rushing, but Im 5'7" so the height might make a difference. When I am at the gym a speed in the 3.7 range seems like a good fast, but not too fast walk.

shannonmb 10-09-2008 08:19 AM

Ha, just imagine how many extra steps you're taking with those petite little legs!!! I'd say height has a lot to do with it for you.

I'm around 5'4" and yesterday on the treadmill I walked 2.2 miles in 45 min. That was at a speed averaging about 3mph. I just don't know how you ladies can do 3.7!!!! Anything over 3.5 and I feel like I'd have to run to go any faster. I just started about 6 weeks ago, so that's an IMPROVEMENT for me :o. I was sweating my butt off, btw! :woops:

Guess I agree with the others, we'll get faster as we keep at it. But "just doing it" is the main thing, at least for me right now!! ;)

clickchick 10-09-2008 08:56 AM

I'm just getting back to the treadmill after years away and I'm walking at 3.0 and working up a decent sweat. I'm hoping to improve my current 20 minute mile over time but I'm just glad to be doing something at this point! :)

Ingrid

nelie 10-09-2008 10:05 AM

I have short legs for my height and last night at my running class, I realized I walked faster than my 5'11" husband when trying to walk fast.

LandonsBaby - I didn't realize you were 4'9 which does have something to do with your walking speed. Also, if you happen to have tight leg muscles (eg that need to be stretched out), it can shortern your stride and make you even slower. I've been working on stretching my leg muscles to help increase my stride. Not sure if it has worked yet but I'm trying.

owlmonkey 10-09-2008 11:51 AM

Yoga

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 2401430)
LandonsBaby -, if you happen to have tight leg muscles (eg that need to be stretched out), it can shortern your stride and make you even slower. I've been working on stretching my leg muscles to help increase my stride. Not sure if it has worked yet but I'm trying.

I'd recommend the following poses in Yoga to help with tight legs:
Standing forward bend (remember to lift your bottum up rather than push your knees back)
Downward facing dog
Dolphin
Triangle

They all have helped me when my legs are tight!

RangerChic 10-09-2008 11:56 AM

I find that I like to keep the treadmill set at 5 mph, sometimes 4.5 mph. Can't say how fast I walk off of it, but I guess I'm in the 4 mph range or so. I do a mile in about 10-11 minutes it seems.