Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

Question Plus Sized Runners

Ok, so I've been doing my "brisk walking" for about a week now. And I was thinking that maybe eventually I could jog, then at some point maybe even run. I found a couch to 5K running plan in which you gradually work up to running 3 miles by running in smaller increments.

So I was wondering (and this may be stupid). Is this reasonable for a plus sized person. Should I wait until I weigh less and it's not as much pressure on my knees/legs? Should I just continue with the "brisk walking?" I mix it up with some gym time too. Should I be doing more strength training for my legs first? Will the running be better for me (higher intensity/more weight loss)?

I dunno... I think I just have this vision of me somewhere collapsed on a sidewalk. Is this setting the bar too high for now?
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I run in intervals, and I'm happy with the progress I've made. I think it's a good way to burn calories, and there's nothing like showing people that "big girls can run too". I say go for it!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #3  

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #4  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

A few things I've done:

Buy good runners. From a proper running shop, not one staffed by teenagers, and not a "chain" store. Someone who knows what they are talking about.

Run on grass (like I do) or a proper soft rubber track.

Warm up before and stretch after.

Go slow. I'm doing the C25K and am up to week 3 now - going for my W3 D1 run when it cools down a bit this afternoon - I didn't get up early enough this morning!

Good luck.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Beaka- I've been running/ walking for about three months now. I've worked my way to now I can run a 10 min mile. I weigh a lot more than you and I've been fine. I have to be careful b/c I have a rod in my right leg and it's giving me trouble since I've had it about 10 years. I lost 19 pounds before I started exercising and it's been fine good. I started running when I was 287. I never just run straight. I always mix it up a bit.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I definitely recommend going to a running store and getting properly fitted for shoes. I joined a running program at the store and there are people of all sizes and ages in the program.

Not only are there plus size runners, but there are also plus sized triathletes. I'm hoping to do a triathlon sometime myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/219/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey Beaka, I just wanted to chime in and say that about 2 years ago...the last time I lost weight, I did the couch to 5K running program you're talking about. I really enjoyed it. I am NOT a runner, and pretty much hate everything about it, but with that plan I found running rather enjoyable because I could actually do it! Before I knew it I was running 2 miles! I find that the program increased the amount of running at just the right pace. Go for it!
Mae8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #8  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I started running a few months ago doing the C25K program as well. I have lost weight but I am still big, at least 60-70 pounds over the weight I should be for my height. I can run 30-40 minutes now without stopping. I agree with the others, who recommend getting proper running shoes.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
Beaka- I've been running/ walking for about three months now. I've worked my way to now I can run a 10 min mile. I weigh a lot more than you and I've been fine. I have to be careful b/c I have a rod in my right leg and it's giving me trouble since I've had it about 10 years. I lost 19 pounds before I started exercising and it's been fine good. I started running when I was 287. I never just run straight. I always mix it up a bit.
And this is a great illustration of why you don't have to assume you can't do something at a certain weight, or judge all fitness by weight - because I am 153 pounds and only running a 12-13 minute mile (I think). I'm about to start Week 8 of C25K. Everybody's different, and ya can't tell by lookin'.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Julie- Thank you so much. This was a huge compliment to me. Most people that know me would be surprised that I can do it, so I keep it to myself and keep trudging along. So thank you.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

It's different for everyone. You may start and feel wonderful or you may start and feel aches and pains. Personally I love running but I have trouble with my left hip when I run at a higher weight.

Either way it doesn't hurt to try to it. Start slowly (people love that couch to 5K plan!), get the proper equipment, and eat and hydrate properly. Good luck!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

You should definitely give the C25K program a try. I believe anyone who has even the slightest inclination toward running should try it. I thought for years that I could NEVER be a runner. I weighed 275 pounds in July 2006 and started with walking, then started a slightly altered version of the C25K program in September, after losing about 25 pounds. My knees hurt a bit at first, and I had to ice them sometimes, but as I lost weight that went away. By March I was running six miles at a time without stopping, and I ran a 10K. By the summer, I was training for a half marathon. I ran it in August of 07, and at that time I also became an assistant cross country coach at the high school where I teach. When I stopped running because of pregnancy, I was running 8-minute miles on my shorter runs (working on a sub-25 minute 5k) and was planning a marathon and two half marathons for 2008. Running helped me lose 110 pounds, but I would've done it anyway once I got addicted to it, even without the weight loss benefits. I couldn't run while pregnant, and I ended up gaining a LOT of weight back, so I'm trying to get back to the point where I can run again. The baby was born 2 months ago and I've only been able to do two VERY short jogs so far.

Anyway, my point is: YES! Run! There's no better exercise for weight loss, and it's addictive!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #13  

Thanks ladies! I think my plan is to keep going with the walking, and start the program after columbus day (I'll be out of town). I'm sure you'll see me post in the C25K forums to let you know how it's going.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 205.5/185.8/128

Height: 5' 2"

I USED to run when I weighed a lot less and decided to start training for a 5k in december. Fortunately, it's one of those walk/run fun ones and I can already walk 5 k without a problem hehe

To get back on track, I had looked at the C25k program and found it really difficult for me. My cardio basically just sucks and my calves burn way too easily. My chest is too heavy. I also have to be careful to avoid knee issues since that is why I had to stop running before.

I'm lucky that I have a smart doctor in terms of his understanding exercise and weight loss. We came up with a plan that is working well for me so far. I use a heart rate monitor for tracking. Every other day I am doing my "run day" and increasing it by 0.10 miles per week now. I started at 1, went to 1.15 and just finished 1.25 week. Tomorrow starts 1.35.

What I'm doing is a 5 minute warm up to get my HR into moderate zone. Then I'll switch to running until I hit 90% of max heart rate. I go back to walking then. When HR goes to bottom of moderate zone, I start to run again. My last session on Tuesday I actually was able to run 10 minutes of the 1.25 miles over 4 shots.

To continue to build the strength in my calves, I am walking at least 1 mile on the days I am not running. I'm keeping that at low to moderate heart range level.

I'm not advocating others try this but my doc agreed with me that it was safer for me to get back to running by focusing on HR rather a set schedule to build up endurance. There was no way I had the physical ability to jog more than a few minutes out of 20 in my first go. I work my b*** off with training and it wasn't feasible for me.
ANewMe is offline   Reply With Quote