Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #151  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Default training plan

I was talking to anyone interested in sharing. I got off track with the sprint plan I was doing from beginnertriathlete.com. I just having a hard time fitting in everything I want to fit in. I was doing double workouts most days so I could fit in the extras I wanted too, but time is a challenge right now. Plus right now I really enjoy running the most, so I get antsy to do it more than 2x a week, so I add it in as a second work out and feel tiiiiiiired. Do you all do Yoga and/ or weight train in additon to 2x a week? I'm still trying to figure it out.

Christine
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #152  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm trying to figure out a new workout schedule myself. When I was training for the April sprint, I ran MWF, swam TSa (sometimes only one or the other), and biked ThSa (usually only one of those days). But I had a lot of my workouts cancelled because of springtime rain.

Lately I've been weight training TTh, doing bootcamp MT, and swimming or biking Su, and occasionally something on W, F, or Sa. Bootcamp is ending though and I'm still eyeing those August sprints.

I'm thinking my new schedule will be something like this:
M - run
T - weight training, maybe swim
W - run
Th - weight training, maybe swim
F - rest
Sa - swim and/or bike
Su - swim and/or bike

I don't really know. I've been swimming in my neighborhood pool lately which is usually full of little kids so it's hard to do laps. Sunday mornings it is pretty much deserted so that's my ideal time for swimming. OTOH swimming is my favorite to do after weight training because my legs cramp up too much biking or running. I am open to suggestions! I do my weight training at lunchtime at work so my evening is free for another workout.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #153  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

"Do you all do Yoga and/ or weight train in additon to 2x a week? I'm still trying to figure it out"

No yoga - She does have us "strength train" but to be honest I'm finding it not that useful. We do it from worksheets which I find myself fumbling around and reading more then doing. I was thinking of just forgoing those and just picking out a strength training DVD to do instead. I have the Chalean Extreme DVDs which I'd love to do but I think it would be too much/too often on top of the tri training so I'm not sure what would be a good replacement.

Sucks that you can't train that well in the pool. Mine is a university pool with lots of swim lanes and has a community membership.

I like the BT plans, I'll probably follow one for my 1/2 IM I want to train for next summer.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #154  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I got my trisuit at the end of last week and I love it! It's going to be great for just our long bike rides when I am done with this triathlon. I got it here: Paragon Sports
Only $67.50 with free shipping! I wore it biking on Saturday and then for a swim and it was very comfortable and I think it reduced drag in the water.
My tri is on the 12th of July. I think I am going to do 1 or 2 more bricks between now and the weekend, then take it easy and do lots of stretching next week.

Any good hints on what to put in my transition bag from swim to bike?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #155  
Ironman in Training

Fiber - besides the obvious - Bike helmet, Sunglasses, Bike shoes, Socks, and liquids...

I'd make sure you have at least some gels or something similar... and advil just incase. I also like to have chapstick. Try doing a search on some of the tri sites for suggested packing lists you'll get tons of suggestions.

And make sure you remember to remove the bike helmet for t2... In my first tri I ran off wearing it before a friend noticed shortly after I crossed the mats. D'oh! but makes for a good newbie story.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-03-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #156  
slow and steady

Fiberlover!!! I just saw on the maintainers thread that you did your triathlon!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #157  
slow and steady

After much agonizing I finally signed up for the downtown sprint triathlon on August 16th. The deciding factor ended up being that I tried swimming in the reservoir and got freaked out, and tried biking the hills in the park and got exhausted, so I figured I was better off saving that more challenging course for next year.

Now I just need to figure out my training plan for the next couple weeks until the tri. I haven't done any bricks since the last triathlon so that will probably be on my plate soon.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #158  
Ironman in Training

Paper - Good luck!!!

I think I should have stuck with a sprint this year also... I signed up for the Oly because it's what I did last year, but I've been having a hard time getting my run fitness to match last season (Stupid Stupid me for taking too much time off!!) and smart me then signed up for a 15k on top of that Nov 1st of which i'll likely be dead last!

4 1/2 weeks and counting for mine....

(Off to hop of the bike trainer!)

Last edited by Idealmuse; 07-29-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #159  
slow and steady

Muse, how is your training going? I saw in your sig you're planning a half IM next year - wow! A friend of mine just did one of those (the Vineman). I doubt I'll personally ever progress past sprint distance, just because of the running.

I need some advice from you ladies. My sprint is coming up next weekend. There are two problems:

1) I stupidly didn't check my calendar and scheduled it during TOM. I hate hate hate tampons. Any advice? I could stack my BC to skip my period but I really hate doing that too.

2) We're expecting temps in the upper 80's and high humidity for race day, plus there is little shade on the course (also a potential for thunderstorms, but I imagine it would be cancelled if that happened). My last race was in April and it was cool (60 degrees) and rainy. I had a Clif bar in my fuel belt and it was fine. I imagine it would melt into gooey nothingness at 86 degrees and full sun. What's a good alternate energy bar that won't melt? I admit, I'm still afraid of GU.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #160  
SGeranium

Default I'm afraid of GU too

I think GU and others also makes gummy bear like energy bits. I tried them once and they were OK. The power bar will probably still be OK though, just softer. I ate a lost in the hot car protein bar last week when it was in the 90s. It was a little sticky, but it still did the trick . I 'm drifting aimlessly the last couple of weeks. I need to refine my plan. DH and I have a big hike scheduled for Sunday, I hope I'm up for it, last time I went hiking with him I bit off way more than I could chew. He's nuts........
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #161  
Ironman in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Muse, how is your training going? I saw in your sig you're planning a half IM next year - wow!

1) I stupidly didn't check my calendar and scheduled it during TOM. I hate hate hate tampons. Any advice? I could stack my BC to skip my period but I really hate doing that too.

2)What's a good alternate energy bar that won't melt? I admit, I'm still afraid of GU.
Well That's the plan either a half or full (which would be insane I know) but we'll see how things go. My run fitness isn't coming back as quick as I'd like. I can run it's just sllllllloooowwwwww.

Not sure about TOM. Mine looks like it will hit during my race too. If your doc thinks its okay to skip it with BC it might be your best option as racing otherwise w/o a tamp it's like racing with a wet diaper.

I agree with switching to the gummies. Might be slightly stick but won't melt... or a Gu packet. I like to use the shot blocks that cliff makes or the luna moons. Your race is short though you might be able to get away with just liquid nutrition.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #162  
slow and steady

Thanks for the advice, guys! Muse, if I could just find a tampon that was comfortable I wouldn't have a problem with it. The other thing I'm thinking about doing is taking out my Nuvaring a day or two early so that my period might be over by next Sunday. Not sure how that affects its contraceptive powers though, I guess I should check the labeling.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #163  
Ironman in Training

Good Luck this weekend PaperC! Let us know how it went.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #164  
slow and steady

Thanks Muse! I'm a little freaked out at the moment because I popped a bike tire and need to fix it. I have all the equipment, the guy at the store showed me how to do it, but I'm still afraid I'll do it wrong and go flat in the middle of the race! My plan is to fix it tonight and go for a ride, and if it's flat again tomorrow afternoon take it to the shop and let the pros do it.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #165  
SGeranium

Default good luck !!!!!!

It's always good to have a back up plan. Be strong and we'll need an updaye after.

C