Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

MBN - I love hearing that about your 5K times. It means there is hope for me to get faster - lol!

Primm - Don't feel too bad about going a little extra. I did a December 8-mile trail race with dd once that we did so slow (because she was so cold she couldn't run - gotta love midwest winters) the water stop at the halfway mark had been taken down!! We ended up going out further than the 4 miles, but not by too far, before we turned around. By the time we got all the way back they'd taken down most of the food and the time clock and everything. Someday I'd like to do that race again just to see how I actually do, but that's one I definitely don't want to do with her!

Lene - I tend to agree that the first 2 miles are usually the hardest. I love when I tell non-runners that and they say that's what would be hardest for them because they'd keel over before they got that far!

Collegegirl - I can't give you any better advice than what was already given re: the weather, so good luck!

Julie - For me, drinking is much harder from the cups at races, but I still slow down if I have a water bottle or something on me during training.

I got back out and did 2 miles today. I have a cross country race the weekend before Thanksgiving so that should keep me on track for a few more weeks.
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 138.8/135.4/122

Height: 5'1

W5D2 of C25K. I made it! It wasn't as bad as I thought. I slowed down my running pace to about 4.6 mph. and it seemed to help. I was more worried about finishing than going fast. It feels good to accomplish something. Reading everyones times and rece reports have been a great motivator. Keep up the great work guys.
tinamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #93  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I did Saturday's run last night as I wasn't feeling good on Saturday. I was amazed that I could do it. It was 35 minutes of 2 minute run/walk intervals.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 171/150/145

Height: 5'8

Great to read everybody's race reports. I ran my 10 mile race last Sunday (19 Oct - I think). My time was 1hr 34. I had sort of hoped for better, but those are nine and a half minute miles so not too bad. For the first 5 miles I ran with my Mum. The course - Twickenham Cabbage Patch run - went down one side of the river Thames and up the other. It was all very flat apart from one small hill near the end which was like a bad joke when I saw the marshalls waving us up it!

The weather for the race was cold and it threatened rain, but in the end it stayed dry. It was great to run along listening to my headphones. As I got up to mile 7, I thought that I really ought to push the pace, but frustratingly I just couldn't make myself do it - a failure of mind over matter.

My Mum finished about 10 or 15 mins after me, having had to stop for a while as she had hurt her knee. My little brother did the race in 1hr 10 - even though it was his first race of any sort and he'd had to run an extra 2 miles to reach the start line, having got lost on the way. I guess it's different for boys.

I enjoyed the race and hope next time will be quicker! I'd like to sign up for a half marathon next. Meanwhile I have a 10k next weekend. Does anyone have tips for working out a sensible - but challenging - target time? I usually run nine minutes miles on the way to work, which is five miles, but am not very tired at the end (just extremely sweaty).

Good luck to all.
southofriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Great job everyone on keeping up the running and racing.

Tinamae - I think C25K is a great program. Slowing down will definitely help build your endurance so you can go farther. Eventually you'll be able to speed up again when you are going farther!

Nelie - Way to keep up with the program despite the not feeling well obstacle.

southofriver - glad to hear your race went well. a 9-1/2 minute pace is pretty good if you ask me! Great job!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

So, a question if I may ... I finished the C25K program a couple weeks ago. I was timing myself instead of counting distance. I'm a slow runner, so by the time I got through the 9 weeks, I was running 30 minutes, but not 3 miles! Probably about 2.25, plus walking a little over .5 miles between warmup and cooldown.

The last two weeks I've run about 2.5 miles M-W-F. I have a knee that complains a bit at the end of my runs, so I try to increase slowly. So far so good with that.

I'd like to start running Sunday morning too (4 days a week). But even if I just take a 2 mile run on Sunday, that's more than the limit of 10% increase in weekly mileage recommended on coolrunning.com. But it would seem weird to run shorter than that.

Does it seem like too much to add that Sunday 2 mile run? Should I just stick to the M-W-F for longer. I'm adding another 1/4 mile every couple weeks, so 2.5 miles a day this week (7.5 weekly), 2.75 miles a day next couple weeks (8.25 weekly). That does come out to close to the 10% limit.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here. But I was kinda wanting to run 4 days instead of 3. Just seems right. But I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #97  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Julie, I posted this very same question on another running forum I'm on (about adding a 4th day, but keeping within the 10% increase limit). Here's the answer I received:

Quote:
I would say for the begginers and specificaly to last question :

add the day 4, but run all other days a bit slower and day 4 real slow - recovery jog.

By going slower You will cover less distance so You are not likely to kill the 10% rule.

Aim for 3x50 minutes and 1x75-90 minutes

as You get use to it and feel fresh etc Your pace will start picking up,
so covering more and more distance inside the 10% rule
but still keep at least 1 of the days real slow recovery jog.
And another one:

Quote:
lets say Primm runs 5k, 5k, 8k in a week = 18k
10%=1.8k. lets call it 2k
increase to 20k.
maybe 4x5k OR 2x5k + 10k

I would probably do 2x5k + 10k
but the next week maybe 3x7k
then the next week 4x6k
then maybe 5x5k

mix it up a bit don't get too stuck into a routine.
So basically add the extra day, but cut back the mileage on your other days for a bit to keep within the 10% rule. They all seemed to agree that the 10% rule is pretty much set in concrete though, or you are at serious risk of injury. Hope this helps!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Primm. I just can't see cutting back on my usual runs, since they're only 2.5 miles, and I only just now worked up to that. Those would be some pretty darn short runs. But it helps to know I should really stick to the 10% rule. So I guess I'll keep gradually increasing the 2.5 miles to 3. I just feel like I need another day out on the road . Thanks again.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hello!

Found my way to this thread and wondered if anyone minded me joining on in?

I've been running for a little while so will throw the hand up and own up to being an addict

I try and run about 4-6 days a week with one long run on a Saturday morning and several smaller runs (about 8-10kms or 5 - 6 miles) through the weekdays.

I ran a personal best Saturday just gone I managed 30kms (about 19 miles I think) which took around 2 hours 45 mins and boy...did my backside feel it lol.

The next challenge is the 8th of November - I have entered an actual race which is over 26kms (just over 16 miles) and around three peaks (Mt Ainslie, Mt Majura and Mt Pleasant). I never thought I would enjoy the prospect of running around a mountain but I ran one back in July and loved it! Although that one was a little shorter - 16kms.

Anyway! Just thought I would pop in and say hello and join in the running conversation
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #100  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by southofriver View Post
Meanwhile I have a 10k next weekend. Does anyone have tips for working out a sensible - but challenging - target time? I usually run nine minutes miles on the way to work, which is five miles, but am not very tired at the end (just extremely sweaty).
It's hard to pick a target time, so much depends on the day -- the weather, the course, how you feel, etc. But considering that you just ran a 10 miler at 9.5 min/mile (which is GREAT btw), and your normal 5 mile daily run is 9 minute miles, I would guess that you could run 9 minute miles for 6.2 miles. That is a finish time of just under 56 minutes. My suggestion is to go out at your regular 9 min/mile pace and pick it up in the last couple of miles if you can. (negative splits). But, please don't be too fixed on a particular time, it's lots more important to go out and have fun and burn lots of calories!!

9:15 min/mile 10K = 57:29 min
9:00 min/mile 10K = 55:55 min
8:45 min/mile 10K = 54:22 min
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #101  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think I may see myself actually running nonstop one day! Today for our running class we did 3 min run/1 min walk. Uhh it wasn't bad at all. Part of the run I felt was as easy as walking. Granted I am SLOWWW! Still though, did 25 mins of run/walks 5 intervals of 3/1 and a little warmup walk with cooldown walk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #102  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome Lyria! Your upcoming race sounds fantastic and challenging! Congratulations on your personal best this past Saturday, whoo hoo!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Thank Tyler

Yes, I'm quite nervous...its one thing to run on mostly flat surfaces for that distance but another entirely when it's up and down and around mountains (or in Canberra's case...large hills!).

I'll be having a weekend off from long runs this Sat since I don't want to still be recovering when the 8th rolls around. Went for a 5 mile run this morning in my new shoes - faster time and NO PAIN!

Bought new running shoes yesterday as the pair I bought about 2-3 months ago have been giving me HUGE blisters and keeping me in agony. We're talking blisters no joke 5-6cms long and 3cms at the widest on my instep. It really hampered things as I'd be able to do one run and then have to wait 2 or 3 days to let the blisters go down. My partner actually had to forbid me to run because he was worried I'd really damage my feet. (He was right...but argh it was so frustrating). Anyway, these new ones are just the best - you don't even know they're there.

I've been raving about my new shoes a lot...it's probably kind of strange but I just cannot get over the feeling of running with NO pain anymore lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 138.8/135.4/122

Height: 5'1

I completed W5D3 of C25K! I had been running based on time but this morning I mad up my mind to do two miles no matter how long it took. It ended up being about 25 minutes to finish the two miles.

I hope everyone keeps posting their race reports. It is great to see how everybody is doing. And it is great motivation for the rest of us.
tinamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #105  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

i jogged 4 miles for the first time yesterday.....im hoping to do it again tomorrow
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote