3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Funny (or embarrassing) Gym/Exercise Stories? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/152334-funny-embarrassing-gym-exercise-stories.html)

owlmonkey 09-24-2008 06:00 PM

Funny (or embarrassing) Gym/Exercise Stories?

So I wanted to share a few funny/embarrassing exercise stories, and encourage any one else who wanted to do the same. I hope these make you smile:
I go to the gym at my work which is located in the basement, with no windows. I walk to this building from my own, in full fitness gear and sunglasses. I walked in, go on the elliptical and started going, wondering "gee why is it so dark in here." I had forgotten to take off my sun glasses.

Then there was the time I unfortunately discovered that beans for dinner + a 6 AM workout on the elliptical in a crowded gym could be a disaster (beans beans the musical fruit!)

But the utter worst for me: the gym wedgie. No matter what underclothes I wear I will inevitably be victim to this cruel fate. And how do you focus on a workout when you feel that? With machines at a premium, I don't want to go off to the restroom to adjust. How to I do this without anyone noticing?

:o

Quiet Ballerina 09-24-2008 06:25 PM

Once when I was working out, the woman next to me was laughing *very* loudly at whatever she was watching on TV. I kept trying to glance over to see what she was watching, but I couldn't tell. :)

It was funny at first...but then it got a little annoying.

stacylambert 09-24-2008 06:31 PM

For me its usually just interesting sweat marks. Its never my armpits which would be normal. I'll get two wet circles on my buttcheeks if I'm using the bike. Or sometimes, I guess from my legs rubbing together, I'll get one that looks like I wet myself. Fun fun :)

owlmonkey 09-24-2008 06:38 PM

oh-yes sweat marks are the best-sometimes when I'm done it looks l missed a regular nursing session, except that I don't have kids yet...

BlueToBlue 09-26-2008 03:55 AM

Sweating is always a problem for me.

I sometimes take spin classes and there is one instructor that always comments on how much I sweat: "Look at how much Barbara is sweating! Wow, she really sweats a lot!" I kid you not! :mad:

On Thursdays I take a circuit training class that involves also sorts of crazy stuff. At one class, we were crawling around on the floor and I accidentally put my hand down in a sweat pool. I was totally disgusted and it didn't help any when I realized that I was probably the one that created it. And then, just today, someone in the class commented to me on how sweaty and gross the floor was and, as I stood there with sweat literally dripping off me, all I could think was that I was probably the biggest contributor to it. :o

I have to make sure all of my workout pants are black and don't show any change in color when they are wet with sweat. Otherwise, halfway through my workout it looks like I've peed my pants. :o

I also get really red in the face. This morning I ran intervals on the treadmill and, afterward, one of the regulars at the gym saw me and said: "Wow, you really have a sun tan!" Oops, no, not a tan--I'm just that red in the face from exercise. :o Give me fifteen minutes and I'll look as pale as ever.

I've also had a few inadvertant "gas explosions," usually when doing ab exercises. :o Those are the absolute worst in terms of embarrassment.

And then there are just the stupid clumsy things I do, like hitting myself in the chin with the weight bar. Luckily, I haven't managed to injure myself seriously yet. Once my trainer and I were doing an exercise that involved him throwing a medicine ball to me and me catching it; I missed the ball and it completely hit my head. That was pretty funny. :lol:

Spoz 09-26-2008 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueToBlue (Post 2380363)
Sweating is always a problem for me.

I sometimes take spin classes and there is one instructor that always comments on how much I sweat: "Look at how much Barbara is sweating! Wow, she really sweats a lot!" I kid you not! :mad:

What! I would put in a complaint about the instructor or pull them to the side and kindly say 'I really don't appreciate your picking me out in your sessions, so stop it'

nakedmango 09-26-2008 07:11 AM

I am completely uncoordinated in aerobics classes. Once I get a move down, I'm okay, but switching between them is my downfall. Yesterday, I tried a new class and the instructor was moving around the room, leading from different spots in the room. So he's standing next to me, doing the moves with us and I'm grinning because now it's completely obvious to him that I completely suck. He says, "At least she's still smiling, that's all I care about!" :lol:

PhotoChick 09-26-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

nd then there are just the stupid clumsy things I do, like hitting myself in the chin with the weight bar.
Oh my gosh I do this all the time. I'm SO uncoordinated.

Let's see ... one time I was doing step-ups on a weight bench and I lost my balance and fell backwards into the guy behind me doing curls. That was embarrassing.

Once I was reallypushing myself on the lat pull machine and sweating like crazy and my fingers slipped off the bar. The weights CRASHED down and I swear the entire gym stopped and looked at me.

Once I was doing walking lunges across the length of the gym and one of the trainers backed into me (she didn't see me and I was 1/2-way into my lunge and couldn't stop) and we both went down in a tangle.

I dropped the squat bar once and landed on my a$$ in front of a bunch of really cute guys! :) That was super embarrassing.

Hm. I know there are more. I'm a huge klutz and routinely do things that make me pause and look around and go "did anyone else see that?"

carrie77 09-26-2008 11:07 AM

I took a swig of my water bottle on the treadmill at the gym last week (I was at a running pace) and before I could put it back in the holder it slid from my hand, landed on the treadmill, flew off the back, and hit a poor lady a few feet behind me. I thought it was hilarious...everybody else was probably annoyed lol.

BlueToBlue 09-26-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedmango (Post 2380432)
I am completely uncoordinated in aerobics classes. Once I get a move down, I'm okay, but switching between them is my downfall. Yesterday, I tried a new class and the instructor was moving around the room, leading from different spots in the room. So he's standing next to me, doing the moves with us and I'm grinning because now it's completely obvious to him that I completely suck. He says, "At least she's still smiling, that's all I care about!" :lol:

Oh, yeah, I miserable at stuff like that! I don't even try to take those classes because I'm so bad at doing the moves that I can't get a good workout from them. I have to go really really slow.

Early on my trainer tried to have me do some kick-boxing moves. That was a total disaster. He finally just told me that if I ever get in a situation where I'm about to be involved in a fight, I better just run (I might not be coordinated, but I can run at a pretty good clip ;)).

When I was in college, I took a Tae Kwon Do class. Another total disaster, made even worse by the fact that I was overweight back then and they made us wear those really unflattering white uniforms (my number #1 rule of exercises is that I will never again do any kind of exercise where I have to wear clothing I don't feel good in). I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy trying to be violent. Not pretty!

Oh, and then there was the rock climbing class. The one where I got stuck and the instructor actually had to crawl up the rock and unstick me. I also was the only one in the class to fall off the rock (thank god for safety harnesses but I felt bad for my spotter who had to hold me while I dangled there helpless). No more rock climbing for me!

PhotoChick 09-26-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

I took a swig of my water bottle on the treadmill at the gym last week (I was at a running pace) and before I could put it back in the holder it slid from my hand, landed on the treadmill, flew off the back, and hit a poor lady a few feet behind me.
hahahah! I live in FEAR of doing this on the elliptical. I know that some day I'm going to spray half the people around me with water because the bottle slipped.

alinnell 09-26-2008 02:19 PM

Except for the one time I almost fell off the treadmill, I don't have too many to share.

To avoid wedgies, I usually either wear running shorts with the built in panty so I don't need to wear the wedgie inducing kind OR I wear none (only with yoga pants/shorts that can't flash open!).

I get the red face too, and it lasts for at least an hour afterward--just wonderful when I go to pick up my son from Karate (even after I've splashed with cold water).

And sweat, thankfully I'm not like I was in high school/college where I would go to the gym with makeup and then wouldn't work out too hard because I didn't want to let people see me sweat. I feel like I should carry two workout towels to wipe the equipment when I'm done! It doesn't embarrass me, though (but it would if I wore gray pants that would show sweat! I stick with black--besides they make you look slimmer!). I have a tendency to sweat on my chest--above my breasts, below my collar bone. That is weird.

One embarrassing thing that I've noticed is that when I'm doing a fast walk on the treadmill, I think I look like I'm drunk. I wonder if I have a balance problem, I kind of start tilting to the right. It's like when I used to ski--I could ski all day on the black diamond (expert) runs and never fall. Then I'd get to the bottom of the run, get back in line for the chairlift, and promptly fall over.

PhotoChick 09-26-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

One embarrassing thing that I've noticed is that when I'm doing a fast walk on the treadmill, I think I look like I'm drunk. I wonder if I have a balance problem, I kind of start tilting to the right.
Oh same here. I'm left handed, though, so I list to the left. :)

I have to concentrate to stay "centered" ... or lightly rest my hands on the railings, which I really don't like to do, because I wind up gripping them instead. If I'm running (which I don't do often because of the "bounce") I don't list. But a brisk walk .. yeah.

Actually, I do it in real life, too. Hubby used to refuse to walk on my left because he said I was always pushing him into things as I angled left. He'd walk on my right and hang on to my hand if I started drifting! :)

Kimphin 09-26-2008 02:28 PM

I was taking a step class faithfully and was by far the largest woman there. The instructor makes a point to go around to everyone after the class and personally give encouragement. Except after about a month he just says to me loudly from the front of the room "You are doing so GOOD! I hardly ever worry about you anymore!"

Uh - worry? I didn't know he was worried. Worried about what? That I might break a hoof? That I might need the defibrillator? I was mortified.

owlmonkey 09-26-2008 02:45 PM

Hee hee

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2381137)
hahahah! I live in FEAR of doing this on the elliptical. I know that some day I'm going to spray half the people around me with water because the bottle slipped.

Hey it will cool them down, or steam them up :)

I tried a Nia class once-I could not keep to all those moves & transitions. I just looked like I was trying to pull a weasel out of my underclothes!