3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running up and down my stairs!?! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/152205-running-up-down-my-stairs.html)

Jpye 09-23-2008 02:18 PM

Running up and down my stairs!?!

HI! I have a little bit of a dilemma. I work full time and go to school in the evenings, and I live a little over an hour away from school so a lot of time is spent driving. I keep meaning to start running again. I was actually planning on starting this week. It's been many months, and I am gaining weight. Basically - I don't have a treadmill (and can't afford one right now). There is a 24/7 gym in my town but in order to get the cheapest membership with my discount from my job, I have to sign up for a year, and I don't plan on staying here for a year. I don't want to be paying for that gym membership when I am no longer living here or working out there! I get home so late during the week that running outside is out of the question, and I also practically get no sleep so getting up extra early to go running outside is also out of the question. Would I get a good work-out running up and down my stairs at my apartment? Could that put me in enough shape to be able to go for a normal run in a few months? Like when I have more time to do it normally, or if I happen to want to go for a run on a Saturday or Sunday. I'm just not sure if it can get my body into well enough shape to be able to run.

What do you all think?? Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. I want to run so badly... but I am having an extreme lack of time issue. I leave my apartment at 7am and get home at about 11pm. :(

jpye

MBN 09-23-2008 03:20 PM

I think any exercise that you can squeeze into your extra-busy schedule will help! Stair running will help to work your aerobic capacity, but it doesn't work the muscles the quite the same way as running. Still, it's way better than nothing. If you can get out for a run on Saturday and/or Sunday on a weekly basis, that would be even better.

The only other thought I had was to see if there is any flexibility in your schedule during the day to squeeze in some kind of exercise activity -- like lunch time? It's tough with such a tight schedule, so getting ANY kind of activity, even short intervals, will help your calorie burn. Even getting out for a brisk 20 minute walk will burn that many more calories.

nelie 09-23-2008 03:24 PM

running up and downstairs is a bit different than running on flat ground. It'll give you a good workout for sure but you won't be able to map it directly to regular running.

Are you able to run at work on a lunch break? Or before school? Or on weekends? Or go to sleep early and run in the morning?

owlmonkey 09-23-2008 03:39 PM

I personally don't run unless I'm being chased, but I'm a firm believer in any movement is better than no movement. And I admire those who do run.
I do my exercise on my lunch b/c it's the only time I can get to the gym. Perhaps that could work for you.