3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Yoga vs. Pilates, help please! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/152137-yoga-vs-pilates-help-please.html)

peachcake 09-22-2008 06:22 PM

Yoga vs. Pilates, help please!

A few years ago I did a little bit of yoga and a little bit of pilates but I don't remember much. I want to start doing it again... but I'm not sure which or a combination of the two. I am thinking of getting a couple of DVD's, any reccomendations? I know a lot of you use this so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

What is the difference between the two? I'm a dummy on the subject.

aphil 09-24-2008 09:19 AM

Pilates is an exercise form that was started as a way to train professional dancers. It specializes in strengthening and shaping the core muscles of your back, abs, and hips, as well as the legs. All of the muscle groups that are important to a professional dancer. The primary focus of Pilates is to strengthen and lengthen the core and lower body muscles.

Yoga is an ancient exercise form that is composed of getting into different poses. The poses all have unique benefits to them. One pose may open up and lengthen your back, for instance...while another pose might relieve tension and stress locked into your shoulders, and another pose may promote relaxation. Depending on the goal of the particular session-some yoga sessions may focus on different things-relaxation and stress release, strength, flexibility, etc. Yoga can do MANY things for the body and the mind, depending on what you are doing with it. In yoga, it is very important to be in tune with your body and your mind together. They have to work together in yoga.

nelie 09-24-2008 10:09 AM

The Gaim yoga DVDs are awesome. I have quite a few of them. I have some pilates DVDs as well but I don't care for them much. The only pilates DVD I do like isn't really a pilates DVD, its Crunch fat burning pilates. Its a pretty gentle exercise DVD I'd do on light workout days.

peachcake 09-24-2008 11:21 AM

I tend to be rather high strung, and after researching I am thinking that Pilates is geared more towards what I'm looking for but I may try some Yoga as well to help with stress and things like that.

The reason I even started looking into it was because I noticed every time I run or jog I end up with a really sore back for a few days and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my core muscles are weak. I'm hoping these will help.

BlueToBlue 09-26-2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peachcake (Post 2377128)
The reason I even started looking into it was because I noticed every time I run or jog I end up with a really sore back for a few days and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my core muscles are weak. I'm hoping these will help.

Are you stretching after you run? Making sure you really stretch well, especially your back and leg muscles, immediately after you run, would also probably help. If I don't stretch properly after running, I will absolutely end up with a sore back. If I take the time to stretch well, it usually isn't a problem.