3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   yoga and weight loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/151852-yoga-weight-loss.html)

rileyozzy 09-18-2008 11:34 PM

yoga and weight loss?

I am going to a yoga class tomorrow and I just wanted to hear about other people's experience with yoga and weight loss. I am hoping that it helps me loosen up and become a little more bendy. Plus, there is a 30 minute meditation portion and I would like to use it to help me focus on keeping a healthy body.

Pacergal29 09-19-2008 08:38 AM

Yoga is the only form of exercise besides walking that I do, I have found it very helpful and relaxing. Not to mention a great toning tool. As for the meditation, I have a mind that goes 90 miles an hour and the 30 minutes of meditation would be very difficult for me! ;)

I think you will really enjoy it, good luck!

MotoMichelle 09-19-2008 01:20 PM

I use to attend yoga class 3x a week and loved it! Sadly we moved and it is too far from us now.

Yoga did not really help me lose a lot of weight but it definitely helped me gain flexibility and strength! I was surprised at the muscle development I had from yoga class.

Enjoy your class!

rileyozzy 09-19-2008 04:59 PM

Thanks! I am excited about my class tonight. I am a little nervous about the meditation though. I hope I can rest my mind.

rileyozzy 09-20-2008 12:36 PM

I did it and I loved it! The meditation part was amazing. It is so what I need on a Friday afternoon right before the weekend. The weekends are the hardest times for me and using the meditation for positive thinking time was awesome!

Wolf Goddess 09-20-2008 03:35 PM

I noticed myself become far more tone and limber after I started doing yoga, but I only lost around five pounds. I love it though, and it's very much worth doing.

Ilene 09-22-2008 12:41 PM

Yoga is the best :yoga: ... I've been doing it on and off for 20 years and when I am "on" I feel so much better. My DD does it to lose weight and I've noticed that when she does yoga regularly her shape is really pretty. I also love it as relaxation tool and highly recommend it to someone if they are high strug although it will take longer for them to relax it will be well worth it... Stress is not healthy....

raw23 09-22-2008 01:02 PM

Pilates is the way to go for me!
:goodluck:

JulieJ08 09-22-2008 01:04 PM

Yoga was the only exercise I was doing (started end of April) until I started C25K (on week 6 now). I was doing a long routine (1-1.5 hours every morning), with lots of standing and strengthening poses. Now I do the C25K M-W-F morning followed by a shorter (~30m) of yoga, just stretching. I lost lots of weight and the yoga made me muscular! The flexibility increases are a given ;) and also quite lovely. I even had a little bit of aerobic conditioning going on, and I'm sure the yoga is what kept me from having the shin splints when I started walking/running that plagued me in the past.

raw23 09-22-2008 01:10 PM

I was thinking that yoga focused on meditation, strength, flexibility, and being limber. I dont think it has a lot to do with loosing weight, does it? :dunno:

JulieJ08 09-22-2008 01:15 PM

Strengthening has every thing to do with losing weight.

But also, I think yoga really helps you start developing a different, positive relationship with your body, which many of us so need.

I think that often, feeling better about yourself goes a long way to making a weight loss successful, rather than the other way around.

MotoMichelle 09-22-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJ08 (Post 2373429)
Strengthening has every thing to do with losing weight.

But also, I think yoga really helps you start developing a different, positive relationship with your body, which many of us so need.

I think that often, feeling better about yourself goes a long way to making a weight loss successful, rather than the other way around.

So true. I was so much more positive about many things in my life when I was doing yoga regularly. I felt so great both physically and emotionally.

This thread is really making me miss my yoga class.

junebug41 09-22-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raw23 (Post 2373419)
I was thinking that yoga focused on meditation, strength, flexibility, and being limber. I dont think it has a lot to do with loosing weight, does it? :dunno:

All components of weight loss, give or take. Especially the strength part ;)