Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default Running FAQs

This sticky thread has been added to help our beginner runners and their most Frequently Asked Questions ....

So, veteran runners you can help our beginners by adding to this thread ... so post away and have fun sharing your insight ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Default Couch to 5K

I know this has been posted so frequently around 3FC, but the Couch to 5K program helped me get off the couch and start attempting to run. It is a very approachable program for people completely new to running. So if I may:

Couch to 5K
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Excellent first suggestion Faerie!!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

This is more of a philosophical point -- but many beginners don't think of themselves as "runners". We have this perception of runners that are long, lean, and effortlessly lope along for hours. Well, they aren't all like that, and certainly no one started out that way!!

In reality, "runners" come in ALL shapes and sizes, all ages and levels. Some are really fast, and some are really slow, and others use walk/run intervals. But, they are ALL runners, and you can be one too. Once you've laced on those shoes, gotten out the door, and taken those first jogging steps (no matter how slow, no matter how long you last), YOU are a runner!

IMO, the most important thing for a beginner is just to get out there consistently. Start with run/walk intervals and work to increase the amount of time you are jogging. Don't try to go too fast. And just keep at it ... improvements WILL come with time.

Oh, and get some good shoes, preferably by consulting a local running specialty store. The right shoes can help prevent injury.

I'm sure the others will chime in, but I just want to encourage you to get out there and try it!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I have some questions now that I've started running and enjoying it. (C25K)
Can I run every day? (With one day a week off)
Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?
How do I incorporate arms/shoulders and core/abs?
Thank you in advance for any help, and also thank you to Ilene for starting this thread.

Last edited by Kofarq; 09-18-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Stay well hydrated. That doesn't mean to drink a gallon an hour before a run. You will have the most miserable run of your life. Staying well hydrated is something to work on all day, everyday.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/180/155

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb A great starter running podcast...

Hi guys, brand new here!

I'm currently training for my first half marathon -- Starting with the Couch to 5km program, and extending my distance over the next four months. My half marathon (for Team Diabetes) is in Orlando FL in January.

What I wanted to share was a very cool podcast that goes along with the Couch to 5K! I've written a blog post about it on my blog at netchick dot net -- They won't allow me to post the exact link here, so scroll down the page a bit for "Couch to 5K" post!

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone out there starting to run. I never thought I'd be running a half marathon, but, here I am making progress a little at a time!
NetChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Can someone please answer this question for me? I have posted it before and on two other threads, but still haven't gotten any help with it.

Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Kori you asked:
Quote:
It is not recommened you run every day. It's an exercise that is very intense and hard on the joints. The recommendation is to run every second day. If you wish more cardio do something that is easier on the joints like biking, elyptical, walking, swimming etc.
Quote:
You should not run on leg days. Just do your leg workout and another type of cardio.
Quote:
You CAN incorporate those body parts on days that you run...

Hope this helps and ask more questions if need be ....

Last edited by Ilene; 09-22-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #10  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I have a question, if I may. I've tried C25K before, and am starting it again. I keep stopping around week 3, for various reasons, but the main one is this: Shin Splints. Is there some way to preemptively stop them, or prevent them? I seem to have a tendency toward them.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Default Shoes

It was mentioned that it's important to have proper shoes for running. (Very much so!)

If you're completely clueless as to where to look for a specialty store, I noticed that the Runner's World website has a store locator:

Runner's World Store Finder

It's someplace to start Though it only has US & Canadian stores.

Last edited by Lovely; 09-30-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a good article on Shin Splints and treatments...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #13  

Hey there Im new here.

I have tried running on a few seperate occassions
but each time I find I get this annoying cramping sort of pain in my right shin. Is that normal? :P
Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...
Oh thanks for that
Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote