Running FAQs

You're on Page 3 of 11
Go to
  • nm.. i didnt read page 2 before posting.. hehe
  • About 5 years ago, I slowly worked myself from couch to 5K on a 4 day/week plan and ran regularly (4 days a week) for about a year. I then decided to do a long run every week, working towards a 10K. It was at this point (I'd worked up to running for a couple of hours straight) that I developed plantar fasciitis which sidelined me for 6 months. I gradually returned to running, but developed a frozen shoulder and was advised to stop running while my shoulder healed. I haven't gotten back into running and really miss it. Last summer/fall, I walked 45 minutes every day (at a 4 mph pace) and was injury-free but it took up so much time and I didn't love it like I loved running.
    [By the way, I had knee surgery (meniscus tears) way before I ever started running and my knees actually feel better when I run since the muscles are stronger and help stabilize my knees.]
    So, I've bought new shoes and am planning to do the couch to 5K 3 day/week running plan and work on increasing speed and doing hills rather than increasing distance. Can't wait!!

Thanks for posting the plan here and the tips.
  • I personally hate running but it works great for me. Its a lot harder now that I'm 50 lbs heavier
  • Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...
  • Make a decision that you WILL continue. And if it helps, tape the receipt up somewhere you will see it so you know you gotta get out there and bring that $/mile cost down.
  • Quote: Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...
    If you decide that you don't like running (but I KNOW you'll LOVE it ) you can always use the running shoes for walking, going to the gym, cross training, etc.... I walk in mine all the time...
  • I have a question, I am 300 lbs, 5'8". Have started the slow intervals, walk/run. Got up to 7 min cumulative Tues, but the next morning had significant knee pain. Been running on concrete. (That's what the path in my park is..) Feel better now, but some people tell me I should just walk till I lose 100 lbs or so. I need to get some better running shoes for overpronators, and plan to run on grass from now on.
  • Yes, running on concrete is very hard on the joints no matter what weight you are... As you lose weight you will certainly find running easier but I think if you get good shoes, which is extremely important, that will help a lot... running on grass is a great idea, although when I run on grass I get worried that I will trip on a bump that I can't see because of the grass, but that's just me... Don't run every day give your body a day of rest that helps your joints, also stretch weel after each run...
  • I'm glad you are being cautious. It is better to avoid injury than to have to recover from one (they seem to hang on and nag for awhile). Concrete can be difficult for some folks to run on. I do okay, but DD avoids concrete like the plague cause it kills her shins (better to avoid injury....). My favorite surface to run on is dirt.
  • Thanks, I did my running, such as it was, on the grass. Was somewhat easier, will still ice my knees.
  • Ok I have two questions please. I am new to run/walking (less than a month) but I developed a blister on my the ball of my right foot is this from my shoes not fitting right or would this be just the way I am running? Next on my right side it constinley (sp?) feels like I pulled a muscle right at the top of my hip bone is this from my jogging?

thanks
  • Quote: Now that I've read through this, looked at the links etc. I'm mildly concerned. I can't afford to buy new trainers for running unless I know for sure that I will actually continue to use them... but by the sounds of it I may be shooting myself in the foot by not having the right shoes, as may be a cause of me not continuing to run...
    I ran two months in shoes that gave me blisters. Yes, really. I finally went to N Balance store and bought a $100 pair. I richly deserved them. Do not find allow any yourself any excuses. Just do it. You will be so glad when you bite the bullet and just do it.
  • Quote: Ok I have two questions please. I am new to run/walking (less than a month) but I developed a blister on my the ball of my right foot is this from my shoes not fitting right or would this be just the way I am running? Next on my right side it constinley (sp?) feels like I pulled a muscle right at the top of my hip bone is this from my jogging?

thanks
    Hi Nancy, a couple of questions for you... How old are your shoes?,Are they quality running shoes? If you say yes to both then IMO you're getting a blister because of the new shoes... If not, it's time for new shoes. New and good running shoes will make all the difference in the world. Go to a running store where they will analyze your gait. The prices vary from $60 and up, and it's worth every penny.

Your next problem could be because of not stretching properly...Here is a good Hip stretch other stretches
  • Thank you Ilene! I did go to a running store this afternoon and bought a good pair of shoes and insoles (I have a high instep) and was amazed at the difference in fit from old to new. I did not get a chance to run in them today but will on Tuesday (tomorrow is my weight training day) I am also going to do the hip stretches.

I can't thank you all enough for putting this thread up for us new commers it really has help a great deal
  • Got my gait analyzed and bought some brooks shoes that really make a difference. I have also been getting up early to walk and run. And I am NOT a morning person.