3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Running in the street is a whole new beast...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
MotoMichelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 558

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Running in the street is a whole new beast...

Well, sadly I have to admit it has been 7 full days since my last workout. I was consistantly going 5 days a week but when all this hurricane business rolled in things got out of whack.

Without making a long story of this, basically I haven't exercised in 7 days and I've been eating horribly. BUT! Today I said enough! I can't let the current changes in my daily life throw me off. I busted out my calorie journal and planned to take a run around my neighborhood this evening (all the gyms in my area are still closed due to damage/no power).

Soooo I went jogging around my neighborhood. Holy cow it was hard!! I was very pleased with myself because a week ago I ran my first full mile without walking on the treadmill at the gym. I felt so good at my progress! However, tonight I couldn't even make it half a mile before needing to walk.

I realize that terrain changes, even minor, plus a harder surface make the jog more challenging, but I was still a bit disappointed. I was also pleased, though, because I finally got off my duff and got back to exercising.

Until my gym opens back up I'm going to continue working out around my home. Hopefully I will build up to be able to do a mile in the neighborhood soon.

Do you guys have any tips? I'm assuming it's just - keep at it till it gets easier. heh

Sorry, I guess this was mostly a rant! My husband just doesn't understand, though, and I know you guys will.
__________________
Tea at Dusk - A food blog
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Thin girl escaping
 
oh2bthintoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 52

S/C/G: 212/203/140

Height: 5'5"

Default

I moved from treadmill to road running a few years ago (it all slipped and I'm back on the treadmill) and from it extremely difficult to start with. It's a completely different way of running. The way I bulit up was by using the street lamps. They are placed at equal distances in the UK so I would run to one, walk to the next and so on, I then gradually increased to running two walking one until I was running them all.

The rule my trainer gave me is increase your cardio weekly by 10%.

Hope this helps

oh2bthintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
MBN
Senior Member
 
MBN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 843

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Default

Running outside is VERY different. The footing and terrain isn't consistent, the weather is a factor, the surface is harder, and I find that my stride is somewhat different too. The treadmill forces a consistent pace, outside doesn't. The perspective and visual scale of the outdoors is so much bigger -- you may be trying to run faster, without realizing it.

Personally, I don't think there's a thing wrong with walk breaks. You're still moving through the same distance! But, if you'd like to maintain a jogging pace throughout, my suggestion is to consciously slow down, even if you feel that you are practically crawling. You'll be able to sustain a slower pace for longer. As you adjust to the different conditions outside, you will naturally speed up over time.

Just my 2 cents -- keep it up!!! When you are starting out, the most important thing is to be consistent .... improvements naturally come with consistent practice.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Out there trying
 
elisa822's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 765

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default

I guess that I was warned so much about how hard the switch is from treadmill to outside that I didn't find it too bad. It did, though, definitely take some getting used to!

I would bet that you will eventually love it! The treadmill can seem like torture when you're used to running outside.

My advice is the same as others...take all the walk breaks you need and definitely slow down. That was the hardest part for me. I was used to the treadmill setting my pace for me but outside, it's all up to you. I think that I felt like I was going so slowly that it seemed odd. Slowing down, even if it feels like you're hardly moving, will likely make the transition easier.

Good Luck!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
No description available.
 
midwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 7,344

Default

There is a nice article in the current Runners World about transitioning from treadmill running to outdoor running.

My advice: keep at it! And good job!
__________________
"And that's how Beowulf rolls"~ my DD
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
MotoMichelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 558

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bthintoo View Post
The way I bulit up was by using the street lamps. They are placed at equal distances in the UK so I would run to one, walk to the next and so on, I then gradually increased to running two walking one until I was running them all.
This is a good idea. I sorta did this last night on my jog. I would jog around the whole block and then walk half a block, jog whole block, walk half a block. I will probably continue this until I build up to a consistant jog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
Running outside is VERY different. The footing and terrain isn't consistent, the weather is a factor, the surface is harder, and I find that my stride is somewhat different too. The treadmill forces a consistent pace, outside doesn't. The perspective and visual scale of the outdoors is so much bigger -- you may be trying to run faster, without realizing it.
Hmmm. I never thought that maybe I was trying to run faster than usual. That could be! I was also more self-conscious in the neighborhood because people look at you when you jog by their house. I will try to be more conscious of my pace next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa822 View Post
My advice is the same as others...take all the walk breaks you need and definitely slow down. That was the hardest part for me. I was used to the treadmill setting my pace for me but outside, it's all up to you. I think that I felt like I was going so slowly that it seemed odd. Slowing down, even if it feels like you're hardly moving, will likely make the transition easier.

Good Luck!
Thank you. I think I will try to keep my pace slow and steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
There is a nice article in the current Runners World about transitioning from treadmill running to outdoor running.

My advice: keep at it! And good job!
Thanks! I will see if they have that article online too.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
__________________
Tea at Dusk - A food blog
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2