Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #1  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Question Experience with Resistance Band Training?

Anyone with experience with a training program that involves mostly resistance bands? I am looking for a program that I can do while traveling. Cant rely on exercise rooms in many hotels, but concerned about figuring out how to make the band routines work in small rooms with variable furniture.

Would be great to hear some comments on:

1) what type of bands you bought 2) any accessories? 3) Any books or CDs you liked or didn't like? 4)Any other advice? 5) Any thoughts about how this compares to strength building using weights?

TIA for any help!
shrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I love them and so does my husband. They are inexpensive and sooo incredibly good at reaching all of the body's muscle groups. I bought a set of three from Reebok at Target -- not the ones that look like a giant rubber band, but the kind that has handles on both ends and a door-jam attachment that comes with them. They came with a DVD to show me some basic exercises, and they also had a chart in the box with some additional exercises. I found that I was a little too strong for the highest weight for some of the exercises so I went out to a fitness equipment store and bought a few individual bands that had greater resistance -- they also came with a list of possible exercises. There are also a lot of sites on the web that can show you various work-outs. Basically, I made up my own routine -- targeting each of the major muscle groups. I designed it using the DVD, websites and the info cards that came with the bands.Oh, I do not use mine for cardio work-outs, so if you are looking for that, I cannot help you. That is a different can of worms. I just use mine for strength training -- saves me a lot of money on health club membership! For cardio I ride my exercise bike or walk/jog. I LOVE the results I am getting in the muscle definition in my arms -- and my guy's. He made fun of me when I first bought them. Then he tried them, and now he is totally hooked.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I recommend looking at this sticky on the Weight lifting and resistance forum

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96976

Resistance bands are great because they are inexpensive and so portable. I have some and I've used them once in a while but honestly, they aren't my favorite. I know others who use them extensively though and I would like to explore them a bit more myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

shrinkin
Leslie Sansone has a few great videos using the resistance bands. I do them three times a week and prefer the resistance bands to other forms of resistance training. I have some that have handles and some that don't. Since I have long nails some exercises are easier to do with the ones with handles. Some exercises are really better with the ones without handles.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-Ultimate...1102843&sr=8-3

I have these. It's kind of a pain to switch the bands out, but I really like them. I feel like I get faster results and it's agreat workout.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #6  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Smile

Thanks to all of you for sharing!

Sounds like Schumeany and junebug41 are both liking the tube style with handles and door attachments and Shy Moment uses both styles. I have been having physical therapy with therabands for an elbow injury and wondered how easily I could convert to using them for exercise. So far, I have a red and a green band, but not having handles does seem to be a downside and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to attach the theraband to things.

Thanks, nelie, for the sticky reference. Some of the links are still active and very helpful.

ShyMoment- love to know the titles of the Leslie Sansone videos that you like. Can either post or PM me with it. Please?
shrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote