3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #91
Plateau-Mania!

S/C/G: 184/155/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm still trying to get myself into the swing of things, but once I get started exercising regularly then I'm set.
Today I ordered the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, maybe since I can't make myself go to the gym this will work much better!
I'm feeling pretty optimistic lately, especially since I've finally made my decision on what type of career I want. Next Friday I'll be going to a seminar at a local college to look into their nursing program. I'm really excited! I'm running about 6 years behind on that, but it's all good...

Those recipes do sound good FatPants, I need to try cooking more healthy meals. Tonight I'm baking some chicken tenders I marinated in italian dressing and I'll saute up some zuchinni, we have buttloads of it, in olive oil.

Diana, I've always wanted to learn how to cook a pork tenderloin, I had it once at my cousin's rehearsal dinner and loved it! Did you use any special seasonings?

Way to go on the loose clothes Spoz! That feeling is definitely better than any type of food! I've been wearing pants that I haven't wore in two years, and it's awesome!

I start my women's self defense class tomorrow night, so excited!
platnumjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #92

Spoz- I resisted the exercise at first, but I found since Sunday I have been looking forward to my exercise and my legs and feet aren't in pain anymore; although I do feel it in my butt and hips when I am exercising. I can not wait to measure myself again, but I want to give it 20lbs before I measure again.

Platnumjo- Have fun at your self defense course tomorrow! Before I put it in the crock pot I cut it into slices about 3/4-1" thick. I then sprinkled them with soy sauce, garlic powder, Pork-Grill Shakers seasoning blend by The Spice Hunter (I got it at Target). It is basically a mix of salt, onion, garlic, pepper, chile pepper, parsley, brown sugar, celery seed and citric acid. Then I dumped a can of sauerkraut on top and added some more water. I had to add salt and pepper a few more times because I think the sauerkraut might absorb some like potatoes do.

Tonight I am doing salmon. I am using a glaze on it though, but I counted the honey in my daily count. The glaze is equal parts honey and dijon mustard. I have never tried it before on salmon, so I will let you know how it is. Usually I like dill, horseradish and fat free sour cream with a splash of lemon as my sauce for salmon if I use a sauce, so this is entirely different for me.

Last edited by DianaG; 09-30-2008 at 07:47 PM.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #93
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Jo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE zucchini, but I understand having too much to know what to do with it! Your dinner sounds yum. I love marinating chicken in italian dressing and grilling it when the weather is good. Delicious!

Spoz, high five on the looser clothes!

Diana, that pork recipe sounds yummy yummy yummy. Sounds like you had a good day with the girls!

Well, I am disappointed in myself tonight. The good news is I got to the gym for a pretty intense session on the cross trainer and burned 450 cals. Yay!

Then I just blew it. A Mtn Dew in the check out line, 3 pork carnitas for dinner. I would have been ok if I had just listened to my body and only had TWO carnitas like I had planned, and left the pop alone. About 200 over for today. At least I worked out so it wasn't a total wash.

By the way, this carnitas recipe is pretty good. I get a pork shoulder (I need to find a leaner cut of pork!), a bottle of salsa verde, and some mexican spices (cumin, garlic, cayenne, etc.). Throw it all in the crock pot and turn on low for 8 hrs, then shred. SO yummy. I eat it with 90-cal tortillas and a little sprinkle of shredded cheese. I usually don't eat three, but tonight I just went to town.

Oh well. Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it!

My very long goal story w/ photos!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #94

Fat Pants: My husband is an absolute hot sauce and spicy food lover. I will have to try your recipe for him. Currently his favorite addition to his meals is Endorphine Rush hot sauce. When they say only a drop is needed they are right! This stuff brought tears to my eyes and brought made my face beet red. I told him he can add it to his after I serve me and the girls. No way I am torturing them with that sauce. lol

Sounds like you had a great workout. I feel like the heat is ruining my diet plan. I am retaining water from all the heat. I swear I drank a gallon of water today and only went to the restroom like three times. I am hoping by drinking tons of water my body will not want to retain so much, but my rings are tighter than they were the other day.
Diana
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #95
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Fat Pants: I do that quite a lot, have an intense workout then go and eat a whole load. But you're body is still going to show the workout and you still did something good for your body so I wouldn't say you 'blew it'.

Platnumjo - that is awesome! And better late than never right?

My scale is up a little, I can't seem to get past 155 so I'm going to make sure I'm drinking enough (I know on non-gym days I don't) and make sure I keep my calories in check because they have all been a bit sloppy lately.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #96

Spoz: One thing I do to make sure I get lots of water during the day is to use the same cup all day. I have a 24 oz sports cup (the kind with the pop up lid) that I fill at least 5 times during the day and I do not let myself go to sleep until the bottle is empty.

I keep it on my desk when I am working, use it for all my meals and take it with me when I go places in the car. Having it with me all the time makes it easy to drink all of the water.

Diana
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #97
Crazy runner

Hi ladies, good Wednesday morning to you! Feeling a little confused and down this morning. I have averaged about an hour working out most days since getting back on track last Monday. My eating has been mostly spot on, with yesterday as an exception and perhaps Saturday getting a little "sloppy" as Spoz put it. Well tomorrow is my official weigh in so I wanted to peek at the scale this morning just to see what kind of progress I was making.

I have lost nothing! zero! zilch! nada!

I can't believe it. Maybe I just need to tighten up on the eating, but I thought I had been doing so well. I am not yet done with TOM and yesterday I was pretty bloated so perhaps it is a little leftover water retention. I just thought with all the exercise I've been getting, I would at least have seen some sort of result!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #98

Fat Pants- Do not get discouraged it is probably water retention. I peaked at the scale the other night because my rings were tight and I was up 4lbs! I drank some water and cursed the air conditioner and went to bed. When I woke up I weighed myself and was down 2 from the night before, but rings still tight. I think I had too much salt, or not enough water due to the heat and was retaining water because when I woke up this morning I was down to where I should be and then some. It is amazing how many pounds of water weight the female body can fluctuate by. I bet if you give it a few days, avoid added salt and drink your water that you will see the scale move from all the exercise you have been doing.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #99
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I can either do gym first thing in the morning which many people prefer or after college. The problem is I dont have to be at college till 1, so I can see myself sitting around and thinking ' I cant be bothered for gym' and then rushing around later tomorrow night. So has anybody tips on early morning motivation?

Fatpants - Usually when I find I've really tried and the scale doesnt budge that I go and be really naughty food wise, find the next day the scale drops and because of my binge two days later I'll gain. So just hang in there, your body is probably just taking it's time, and maybe you've lost inches?

Diana- I usually have a 1.5 litre bottle that I fill and have with me but if I ever leave it in the kitchen I tend to totally forget about it. I'm working on that though.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #100
Crazy runner

I could see the too much salt thing. Those carnitas - while yummy- are salty. I think it's the salsa I'm using. Maybe I should look for a different brand. Spoz, when I do really well and then go and binge, the scale always drops for me, too! It has always been a mystery to me....

Well today has royally sucked (some issues with my final exam panel forcing me to change professors less than two months out...ahhh!!! Stress!!!) so I am going to take it out on the gym.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #101

Spoz: Early morning motivations is tuff for me because I am so not a morning person; however, my toddlers get up insanely early so I am learning to be motivated in the morning. What gets me moving once I have them fed and dressed is to have my morning coffee before I hop in the shower. Then when I am awake I put on some of my favorite tunes and eat my breakfast. By the time I am done with breakfast the coffee and shower have done their magic and I am ready to get to work.

Fat Pants: I am trying your pot roast recipe tonight. I don't have any potatoes so I added a package of lipton instant onion soup for flavor and it smells wonderful. I just checked it and it fell apart when the fork touched it. I have it on low until my husband gets home from work. I guess I will serve it with a side salad and some mixed veggies. That should not be too bad even though the lipton soup added 160 calories to the crock pot. I figure about 20 calories a serving?

That so stinks about your panel doing that to you! Is it your Chair professor or one of the committee professors? I am not sure if it works the same at your college, but my chair was my advocate who helped guide my thesis and stood with me to help me defend. It would have been awful to have him changed two months before the defense. I hope it works out for you.
Diana
Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #102
Crazy runner

Hi Diana! I hope you liked the pot roast. I have done it before with the lipton onion soup mix and it is delicious! If you get six servings out of the pot roast (that's usually about how many we get) then I think the calorie estimate is probably about right.

The issue with my defense is I had an adjunct prof on my panel and her schedule couldn't match up with the dates, so my chairperson called to suggest we replace her with this other professor that I just absolutely loathe. He is a huge jerk! I think I have found another professor to take the adjunct's place so hopefully it all works out. Whew! Can't wait for this to be over.

I am happy to say I'm right on with eating today, and got in an intense 20 minute weight lifting session and 20 minute cardio session. Felt good, but I think I'll be feeling it tomorrow, too!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #103

Fat Pants: The Roast was delicious. My husband loved it. He likes spice, so about halfway through cooking the roast I added a couple of tablespoons of horseradish, since it is a free food, and let it soak into the roast. It really had a nice flavor that went well with the mixed veggies. We have half a roast left and I would say the girls only had 1/2 servings each, so it probably is six or seven servings.

That is awful that a professor you loathe would be the replacement unless your other professor can do it.

Two of the three on my panel were professors I knew and respected even though they are considered "tough." The third was the head of our department who I had never met. He was a bit of a problem. His first comment was, "So what is your thesis?" Gee, after reading the abstract, introduction and conclusion he couldn't figure that out. Afterwards my mentor told me it was a question meant to get my back up, sort of a devil's advocate question.

My husband and I celebrated afterwards with a movie and dinner. This is before we had the girls. You will be soooooo relieved.

Congratulations on your intense workout! What do you do for weight training? I think I am ready to add weight training to my exercise plan now that the cardio is a habit. I have hand weights, but no videos or anything. I think my husband can show me some exercises, but I have not asked him yet. I am especially interested in working my triceps. (Is that the back of the arm?)

I am having a great day today. The air conditioner place called and our part came in early. Woohoo! They will be here to put it in later. Who would think I would be so happy to add this to my debt? Heat makes you think crazy things.

I also cheated and got on the scale today even though my weigh in isn't until Saturday and I am so close to getting below the weight I was in 2004 before I got pregnant with Olivia. That will be a small personal victory for me. Although, I do not think my belly will ever be pre-pregnancy condition again.

If the air is fixed in time for dinner I might make chicken, hmmm. Not sure. I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I am running out of fresh fruit and veggetables. I guess it is a lean pocket for lunch today. I want to save the last apple for my afternoon snack.

The high today is only going to be 80, so I think I will take the girls for a walk before the repair person shows up instead of doing the treadmill.

Last edited by DianaG; 10-02-2008 at 10:26 AM.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #104
Plateau-Mania!

S/C/G: 184/155/140

Height: 5'5"

So, I show up for my "women's self defense" class last night and there were a bunch of parents with their little kids signing up and getting karate clothes. I go ask the lady with the clipboard if i'm in the right place and she flips over a paper and there's my name with like three other ladies'. She says they combined the women's class with the "jr. karate" class since not enough women signed up. I was so mad! No offense to little kids, love em can't wait to have my own someday, but I did not sign up and pay for 5 year old karate! So I left, extremely disappointed. I'm calling the lady in charge of the community classes today and having her put me in something else... maybe belly dancing (for adults hopefully!)...

And to top that whole escapade off, this morning I go to get my emissions done on my car and the dang thing doesn't pass! And I know exactly why, nothing is wrong with the car, it just has an upgraded air induction system (for better gas mileage) that the car's computer doesn't recognize...

Sorry about my rant fest, my mood is slowly improving as the day goes on. I went to the local farmer's market this morning and got apples and pears for .39 a pound, ! And last night I did some crunches, push-ups, and lunges, and boy I'm feeling those lunges today! Yay!
platnumjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #105
Crazy runner

Hi everyone! Diana, so happy your A/C replacement part is in!!! The sweaty wait is over! I am none too pleased about the last minute changes to my panel, so hopefully this alternate professor gets back to me quickly and I can move on. This guy - he is the head of the dept. and kind of has the "aura" around him of an egotistical person. I told my husband I'd rather have my statistics professor on my panel than the other guy!! And I LOATHED statistics!

Weight training - well I go to a gym and use the weight machines because I haven't had the courage/knowledge to do free weights yet, but there are plenty you can do at home. Some of the best restistance/weight training exercises I learned from a few sessions with a personal trainer - I never used anything higher than a 10 lb weight I believe.

Have you used an exercise ball before? The two I liked best using those were a chest press and reverse crunches. Yowzer! I want to buy an exercise ball soon and use it at home. It seems to be VERY effective from what little experience I've had with them. Here's a good website showing different exercises: http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/

Another one I liked - don't know how good your knees are, mine are somewhat ok - just doing simple squats and lunges at home. You will feel it for sure!

Tonight we are having one of our couple friends over for dinner. I'm making baked chicken breasts stuffed with a slice of fontina cheese, basil, and artichokes. I modified it from a Martha Stewart recipe. Also having roasted zucchini/squash/mushrooms and red potatoes. Yum! They are bringing dessert so I've been good all day so I can sample some.

Jo - that sucks about the self defense class! Nice of them to let you know ahead of time. I don't blame you for not wanting to do a "self defense class" with karate for five year olds. Hopefully you can find something to replace it with! Sorry to hear about your emissions test. Boo! I had a day like that yesterday... channel all that frustration into a serious workout!

Well, I was down .6 today for my official weigh in. I am not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I guess i'm realizing it's more and more about the journey and not the short term outlook. A loss is a loss!

I *should* get to the gym today, but I'm so sore and burnt out from cleaning the house top to bottom last night and not getting to bed until late. I'm trying to justify... been working out every day since Sunday... ok, I know I should go. I need a kick in the pants!!!

Last edited by Fat Pants; 10-02-2008 at 04:21 PM.