3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Help for (very!) sore muscles after workout (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/150557-help-very-sore-muscles-after-workout.html)

Naia 09-01-2008 06:27 AM

Help for (very!) sore muscles after workout

So I guess I overdid it on the workout the other night. It felt good when I was doing it, but today I can hardly walk, literally. Like, 'lean the wrong way and fall over' literally.

I definitely overstrained my leg muscles. I'm not sure what to do for it. I took advil & used some bengay, but when I go to sit down I actually fall into the chair/sofa/whathaveyou because my muscles give way. The couch I don't mind so much... but I feel like I need bars for the toilet!

I did a light workout today, more just to keep the muscles warm and stretched than anything.

Does anyone know -- is there a way to help your muscles get back to normal? And also, should I be working them out, or resting them?

Thanks for any info!!!

nelie 09-01-2008 09:01 AM

A light (very light) workout can help warm them up and then stretch, stretch, stretch. Stretching does help reduce soreness. I am horrible at stretching but definitely try to stretch after your workouts to reduce soreness the next day.

luckymommy 09-01-2008 09:05 AM

I've heard (not sure if this is true) that sore muscles are due to lactic acid built up. Drink lots of water througout the day and see if you can sit in a jacuzzi hot tub and do some stretching while you're in there. If you can afford it, maybe a sports massage. Also, eat foods that are high in potassium, such as figs and bananas (but watch the calories). I hope you feel better soon!

Naia 09-01-2008 08:00 PM

Thank you! I wish I could afford a hot tub or sports massage -- I'm settling for a hot bathtub :-)

I'm also trying gentle stretching and lots of water and potassium filled foods. I take diamox, which can lower your potassium, so maybe that's part of the problem right there. Well, that and putting too high a weight on the machines! I'll remember not to get quite so ambitious next time ;) It's not the pain (that's actually kind of good - reminds me I've worked out) but it's the falling into things that I want to go away. I don't know if my kitchen chairs can take this abuse! :D

carinna 09-01-2008 08:09 PM

Light stretching and apply heat. And try to rest them, let them heal. :sorry:

Tai 09-01-2008 08:32 PM

I use something called Aspercreme (like Bengay, but without any scent) and a heating pad when I overdo it. It doesn't heal anything quicker, but definitely helps with the discomfort. Feel better!

mazza 09-01-2008 11:24 PM

These are the things that I do that work for me:

A) stretching (obvious and basic, but underrated!)

B) hydrotherapy - getting in the shower and alternating between hot and cold water for a while, and at the same time massaging sore muscles.

C) magnesium powder (or in other forms, tablets etc but I've researched that powder is best for rapid absorbtion). In australia, we have a company called BioCeuticals that makes an orange flavoured supplement called Ultra Muscleze - magnesium, mainly. It's great for muscle soreness, keeping cortisol levels in check, and also actually helps you to sleep better.

Just some ideas, hope this helps =]

mazza 09-01-2008 11:28 PM

Also, in addition to my other post;

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckymommy (Post 2342279)
I've heard (not sure if this is true) that sore muscles are due to lactic acid built up. Drink lots of water througout the day and see if you can sit in a jacuzzi hot tub and do some stretching while you're in there. If you can afford it, maybe a sports massage. Also, eat foods that are high in potassium, such as figs and bananas (but watch the calories). I hope you feel better soon!

Good point about the lactic acid, Luckymommy.
Low intensity cardio like walking or even light cycling/swimming can help by increasing blood low, which can break down some of the lactic acid build up.

ImpalaHoarder 09-04-2008 05:11 AM

Yeah. Exercise is helpful, even when you're sore, but you might want to think about varying the sort of exercise you're doing. Or possibly not. I've found that the only time I can ignore sore legs is when I am actually engaged in running- loosening them up really helps me both during and after. Of course, that doesn't really apply to strength training, which just gets increasingly useless as you do too much of it in a short period.

Hat Trick 09-06-2008 02:15 PM

I did the exact same thing you did when I started using weights -- except it was my biceps that caused my problems. It was excruiatingly painful. I literally coulnd't straighten my arms for about 5 days. Oh the pain!

Ibuprofen and advil are the only recommendations I have and no, they didn't really help that much. I did gently, gently stretch them but time was the only real healer. I just prayed that it moved at warp speed.

When you start in again, take it slowly and lightly. The 'gung ho' approach is something I've learned a lesson from! Feel better soon. :)

Naia 09-08-2008 02:26 AM

Thank you all! My muscles *finally* feel back to normal!! I'm not going to make that mistake again :D I've also added a multi-vitamin, some high potassium foods & lots more water into my diet. It seems to be helping.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!