3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   can yoga blast nagging belly fat? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/149829-can-yoga-blast-nagging-belly-fat.html)

BlueParade 08-22-2008 06:05 PM

can yoga blast nagging belly fat?

i'm about 10 lbs from my goal and i've been thinking of just using moderate cardio and consistent yoga sessions as a way to get that last annoying jiggle to disappear. will this work? has anyone else used yoga to get rid of the final buldge? or is this the wrong reason to enter into yoga practice?

my dad says spot training doesn't work, so i'm thinking a bajillion ab exercises will only kill me and maybe not be that beneficial...

and suggestions?

150reasons 08-23-2008 07:49 PM

Research right now points to high intensity interval training combined with weight lifting for fast fat loss. Here is a good article on the subject: http://www.figureathlete.com/free_on..._treadmill&cr=
I have been doing the HIIT, but not the weight lifting, not yet anyway. I have only been doing it a few weeks, so I can't really say whether it's working or not, but I feel great.

I used a combo of yoga and Callanetics many years ago to get a fantastic figure. I had always had the lower tummy pooch, but had never been obese at that time in my life. This combo gave me an incredible flat tummy. Looking at your S/C/G, my completely unprofessional opinion is that it might work for you, although I would read the above article before enlisting in a moderate cardio program. Hope this helps!!

Ilene 08-23-2008 11:34 PM

BlueParade, your dad is right, we cannot spot reduce. We need to reduce the fat on top of the muscle before the muscle under shows. That said, I think Yoga is an excellent all around exercise. It works the core muscles which is very important, working core burns a lot of calories, which will make you lose fat. HIIT is good for fat burning too much better for fat burning than moderate cardio, but you shouldn't do HIIT daily but you should do some type of cardio regularly.

What do you consider moderate cardio? Do you sweat? Or just an easy no sweat walk outside or on the treadmill? I feel if you don't sweat you don't burn calories/fat, just my opinion.

150reasons, you should incorporate weight training right away you won't lose muscle as you lose weight and it will help keep the muscle you have as you lose. Muscle burns more calories when you're resting, so don't be shy start weight training right away...

Ilene 08-23-2008 11:36 PM

BlueParade, just wanted to add that when I do Yoga regularly my shape is much nicer, I also notice the same in my daughter she's 18. Yoga is really an awesome exercise. I love the Rodney Yee Yoga Burn video, he makes you sweat, or maybe I sweat because he's so hot looking :lol: ...

BlueParade 08-24-2008 12:32 AM

hahaha rodney yee? i'll have to google him and see if i sweat ;)

i guess moderate for me is about a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10.....i always sweat during workouts. i love it! i'm just having trouble getting over the fact that i've gained some weight back and i feel defeated more or less....

i know there is no "quick fix" but i want to maximize my workout. i am a fan of interval training so i was thinking i'd mix that in with some aerobics classes for cardio and then do yoga during the week with some weight training....

i just need my motivation back.

thanks for the advice ladies....

150 reasons
thanks for the link. i'll definitely check it out. :smug:

150reasons 08-24-2008 04:16 AM

Blue Parade- I hope you find what works for you.

Ilene- Actually today I found a good workout with dumbbells on figureathlete.com I can't really join a gym right now because I will be moving shortly, and even a dumbbell workout can be challenging to get to because my space is so small. As soon as I am moved I intend to hit the gym-HARD.

Tomato 08-24-2008 08:40 AM

I don't have any Rodney Yee video although I agree that he is one hot guy!!
(Ilene, you have good taste :D)

Yoga is great and I also thinking that if you want to focus mostly on your abs you may consider Pilates. Do you have a Swiss ball? there is a huge number of exercises that you can do on the ball to target your core.