Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/139

Height: 5'10

Default Ellipticals

Does anyone have any thoughts on ellipticals? I was thinking about buying one to add to my Turbo Jam and Yoga. With the exception of going to classes I'm always home, and live in the boonies with my little girl. I don't really get a chance to walk as much as I would like, and thought an elliptical might be a good purchase. Your thoughts? Do you like one better than another, do you think they are worth the money? Have they helped you on your weight loss/healthy living?
stacysreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #2  

Just my humble opinion....

I just purchased an elliptical -- used -- I personally have purchased most of my exercise equipment this way -- kind of like baby clothes, exercise equipment gets "outgrown" before it "wears out". Mine is a $500 machine I paid $100 for because the individual is moving. It's good enough for me (not gym quality) -- exercises my big butt without any problems.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have an elliptical from Precor, which is the one used at the gym (though it's not the top model). I think I paid about $1500.00 for it about 5 years ago. I totally regret it though! I have already spent over $500.00 just trying to repair it and it's still a bad piece of equipment. I recommend that if you get a machine like this, that you know of someone in your area that knows how to repair them or that you get some sort of an amazing warrenty, because this has been the pain in my neck! I just thought I'd let you know.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I had a Proform Cardio Stride that I paid about $350 for. It broke after two and a half months of regular use - could have been fixed I think, but I got frustrated with it and bought a Nordic Track 990 Audio Stride for $999. I like the Nordic Track a lot so far. The ProForm was small, squeaky, harder to use. So far, the Nordic Track has been fine - I've only had it for a month or so. I did notice that once DH started using it that it started making a little noise from one of the pedals. I tightened it up and the noise stopped. I did buy the four year extended warranty, so I get five years total.

Most of the ones in the sub $1500 category are defined as "light to moderate use" and have lower weight limits, so keep your eyes out for that...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote