Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #1  

Default Starting An Exercise Program

I have an elliptical machine and want to start exercising on it. I've done NO exercise for about a year and am wondering how slowly I should start.

Any advice appreciated.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd just listen to your body. Start with the lowest resistance setting on your elliptical, at a slow pace. Speed up or increase the resistance if you feel you can, and do maybe 20-30 minutes. If you feel OK at the end, and feel fine the next day, maybe up the resistance a little more, or go a bit longer. When you hit your "wall", you'll KNOW it! Work at that level until you feel you can go a bit more, then up it again.

It's no race, so be patient and pay attention to how your body feels.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Hello Friend

When I started at a little bit higher weight then you, I started on the elliptical and even doing 5 minutes sucked! I was having trouble breathing and I just hated it. But I stuck to my guns and did about 30 minutes a day for 3 days a week. I slowly increased my time and resistance (started at 1!) over a couple of months and was doing 60 minutes on resistance levels that varied, but up to 10. Now I only do treadmill running because my shins have improved over time and have strengthened enough that I don't want to be on the elliptical....the main thing with this is to take your time!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #4  

Hi there, Amanda!! Thanks for the advice, everyone.

It's so crazy being in this position. I used to be so fit. I'm still just a bit amazed that I'm this out of shape. I mean, I'm breaking unfit records.

But not for long.....
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote