Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #91  
Workin' It

Welcome, Hat Trick! Sounds like you have a lot of variety in your routine. I'm falling into that "10 minute video, 45 minute elliptical" rut and am starting to look for variety...

Haven't exercised officially today, but I did clean the bathrooms (50 mins), vacuum (60 mins), sweep (60 mins), mop with hoover floormate (60 mins), cut the grass (90 mins) and edge (30 mins). According to The Daily Plate I've burned 1248 calories. Yeah, like i believe that.... I'll probably get on the stationary bike later to get in a little real exercise, or do a long yoga video or something to stretch out the stiff I have from the cleaning!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Hat Trick!!

Today I did a 30 min walk/jog on the treadmil, it was raining so I didnt get outside to walk. I also tried about 15 mins of yoga. But I was doing one of the pull outs from a magazine and had a hard time following it? I need to get a video or something!

Good luck this week everyone!!

Angel
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hello to all the Newbies on this thread... it's great to see everyone chatting so actively (we had hit a slump there about a week ago).

Sounds like everyone is rolling along with the work outs... GREAT JOB!!

I survived the first week back to school (ugh!). It's such a tiring transition, and with coaching hockey, I just didn't do much exercise. I did my Yoga Zone dvd one evening - that was it.

I did walk yesterday for 1 hour - after we cleared up from Hanna. And today DH and I did our walk/run 1 hour at the local park. It's a good work out for me trying to keep up with him!

AND... drum roll... I made Dr. Oz's green Drink both yesterday and today! Yum! I feel so healthy drinking it. I wish I could afford the time and expense to make it every day. DH is planting winter spinach and lettuce so that would cut down on the cost.

I have my last Pilates class tomorrow night (been a 10 week course). I'll check in soon!

Keep up the great work, girls!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #94  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Hey, thanks for the nice welcomes you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I made it up early yesterday and today and did my 45 minutes if interval HITT in my elliptical, if you can really call it that... I don't think I follow the rules you are supposed to follow for HITT - I think I just get my heart rate way up there and then don't ever let it get back low enough inbetween...
I had the same problem when I started out doing intervals. I never, ever got low enough. Here's a couple of links that might help. The first one is from Craig Ballantyne (Turbulance Training). He gives a pretty good example of how HIIT is suppose to work. The rest period is suppose to be just that; took me a long time to wrap my head around it! The second link is just information on interval exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUV7Xiy2HAQ

http://exercise.about.com/b/2005/04/...l-training.htm

Quote:
I'm finding that the farther along in the week the harder it is to maintain the HITT intensity... Thinking about taking two days per week off from cardio, or at least taking one day in the middle and doing much lower intensity...
While I think interval workouts are great (and a great timesaver!) I finally realized that I was in a rut w/this too and started changing the intervals up. Sometimes I'll do 1 min. at 15% incline, then back down to maybe a 2% or 3% incline for 1 1/2 mins. then up to the 15% again for like 8-10 rounds. Or I'll walk at 4.5 mph at a 5% incline for 25 or 30 minutes (you should see the 'cals burned' numbers add up when the incline is upped, not to mention your butt will know you've done something different!) Then there's the 'steady state' that I like to do every other week or so. Just to keep my body from going 'oh, you're doing that again'.

It's why I'm trying to add yoga in several times a week too. I absolutely stink at stretching. Like, I just don't do it. So doing the yoga adds the stretching and more. I'm a novice at best but I like it. I really like doing it after strength workouts.

Quote:
Haven't exercised officially today, but I did clean the bathrooms (50 mins), vacuum (60 mins), sweep (60 mins), mop with hoover floormate (60 mins), cut the grass (90 mins) and edge (30 mins).
Um girl, in my book this is a workout!! No doubt about it! And congrats on your loss -- WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMae View Post
I also tried about 15 mins of yoga. But I was doing one of the pull outs from a magazine and had a hard time following it? I need to get a video or something!
I didnt' know where to start w/yoga either so I browsed around collage video. I bought this one and really, really like it. I has several levels for beginners to more advanced. It is not too hard but def. intense. The instructor cues you constantly about breathing and it has extras on the dvd about yoga and information. I also bought the Firm's 'Power Yoga'. I don't know if it technically qualifies as true yoga; some real yoga folks have called it a 'glorified stretch workout'. I don't know but I like it. I def. feel more flexible from these yoga workouts so I guess they must be doing something!

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchre...or+weight+loss

I managed a quick dog walk today; am ready to jump back in full force tomorrow. This is the kid's first full week of school. They are not happy. I must say I rather enjoy the silence while they're away. Glad when they get home and all but . . .

Last edited by Hat Trick; 09-07-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #95  

Height: 5ft 2in

Hello All! I always seem to be apologising for not posting....Today I am off work sick so I have popped in to see how you are doing. Glad to see some new names! I have not lost any weight in the past week but have stayed stable so I suppose that's OK. I was one run (wog) short of my target last week which irritated me an alarming amount - i didn't realise that I'm becoming obsessive!
I have made myself a mini-goal ticker after our chat about mini-goals. I must say it looks nicely achievable which is encouraging.
I'm rather scared to go outside today - cannot stray too far from "facilities" if you get the drift....maybe this evening. It's a lovely sunny afternoon here in Scotland. This must be summer!
Be good everyone and be happy!
pufffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #96  

By the way Hat Trick - my house is in dire need of your energy - would you like to come and visit soon?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #97  
No surrender, no retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufffin View Post
By the way Hat Trick - my house is in dire need of your energy - would you like to come and visit soon?

LOL!! I sound way more energetic than I really am. I'm pushing the exercising right now because I have more time. Work has been slow but the next several weeks it w/be busier so I'm taking advantage right now. Also, I'm putting energy into working out but then . . . it seems to drastically taper off when it comes to cleaning the house and such. I go in bursts and have gotten things down to a dull, manageable roar since the kids are back in school. During the summer? Um, more like a petrie dish!

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Hat Trick!! I am going to take a look at that in a minute!

Today I am feeling accomplished already! Another benefit of getting up earlier!
I deep cleaned the whole house, some how it gets super dirty over the weekend. That took me about an hour and a half.
Then I did thirty minutes of strength training and towel streching (something I found on Self.com).

And tonight after dinner I am going to walk my mile, maybe a bit more. I want to try to start doing a mile and a half this week!!

Have a good day everyone!!

Angel

Last edited by AngelMae; 09-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #99  
Workin' It

Good morning everybody! I did my 45 minute elliptical yesterday and this morning, I also did 50 minutes on the Weider yesterday afternoon. I focused on triceps, shoulders, chest, abs, a little back got thrown in simply because the ab and shoulder exercises cross over a little. Let me tell you, I am totally feeling it in my arms and shoulders today... The first few times on the Weider I didn't really feel an impact, but today is a whole different story... Whew...

And, yet again, I think I'm coming down with a cold, or the same sinus infection I've been fighting off for what feels like 6 weeks now might be finally winning... Blah...

Hat Trick - Thanks for the links, and for the elliptical insight. I'm having a hard part with the 'rest period' concept myself... Have to work on that. I get up to 180-185 on my HRM before I notice, which is 95-100% of my estimated target heart rate, and I know way harder than I should be working... Now, I know it isn't over 100% of what I can do, since I didn't pass out or explode or anything, but I need to be careful... :

Claire - Good to see you! Glad you made it through the week, I know it wore you out!

Angel - I have a hard time with yoga workouts on paper, too. www.exercisetv.com has some you can download to computer. I've also purchased used Gaiam videos from those 'previously used DVD' stores before, and a couple from Amazon marketplace. I like the Gaiam ones, the ones I have at least, explain the poses nicely.

Puffin - sorry you don't feel well... tummy upset is the worst kind of sick for me... Hope you feel better soon!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #100  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

good Afternoon everyone!

I found this thread just stumbling around here. I too work out at home or outdoors. I like the scenery better than a gym. My work outs of choice are DVD's , walking, or cycling. my goal nis workout 4-5 days a week and 3 out of the 4 to do 2 work outs a day by doing one in the morning and then one before dinner.

I abasolutely love the Crunch videos especially Fat Burning Pilates and Burn &Firm Pilates. Ellen Barrett does both of them and she is really good.

I also have a collection of Denise austin videos and i really like The Firm system. they do alot of circuit or interval training and it def hurts to squat the day after you do them, lol.

Well i just wanted to give a little background on my workout routines. I hope today nothing comes up so that i am able to go home and do a pilates video and then i have some house cleaning to do that will burn a few extra calories too.

TTYL
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Hi All,

I realized I was sort of a drive by poster to this thread. I said Hi and I haven't been back since. But here I am. I have just been busy. We had an incredibly full weekend (But I got my exercise in -- on Saturday at 11:00 pm...yuck). However, despite my whining about late nights on my exercise bike, it is because I work out at home that I could even do that. Made me happy with the flexibility of my choice -- And I felt very smug in a solitary kind of way (since everyone else was sleeping!) when I was done. I also hiked five miles on Sunday, did my resistance work-out and got on the bike again that evening. I just felt so full of energy. I am not sure why. On Monday however, I felt full of...sore muscles. I think it must have been the hiking. There were a lot of tree roots, rocks, etc. on the trail and so it made it pretty challenging.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Dip - welcome!!!

Shu -- Drive bys are welcome!!

Shannon -- Sounds like your Weider machine is giving you a pretty great workout. Maybe taking easy though since you're getting sick... hope you're feeling better!

Hi everyone else!

I came home from hockey last night, and it was already 6 pm. I would've had to leave in 15 min to make my Pilates class which is a good 30 min drive. It's a once a week thing that I do with one of my best buds - worked great in summer when school was out, but I just didn't have the energy to drive over last night. I wouldn't have gotten home till past 8:30. So instead, I did a 40 minute run/walk (my "wog") in the neighborhood. It was a BTN day!!! (Better than nothing!! )

Hope everyone has a great day.... be healthy!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #103  

45 minutes down on the beach (2.5 miles) running/walking into the wind and rain on the way back - I thoroughly enjoyed it! I treated myself to an audiobook which I listen to on my i-pod only when exercising - special reward.
Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #104  
No surrender, no retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
It was a BTN day!!! (Better than nothing!! )
Hey, I like this! I've had those kind of days (this Thurs. will probably be one for me; time is tight and a brisk dog walk may be my only exercise that day). I love the BTN expression, cause some days -- that's just the way it is.

Yesterday I took the dog for a walk, did a TM interval and then did the 'Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss' dvd. I hadn't done it in awhile and forgot how much I liked it. We just got an 'adult education' guide for a local H.S. and they're offering yoga classes; I just might take the beginner one to understand what I'm doing. Of course, it's being offered on Tues nights and Fringe (which premires tonight) is on then . . . ah, decisions, decisions.

I just got done a strength workout. Here's a video I found yesterday browsing around. Excellent exercise; you can really feel it (although I think the girl in the video is lifting weight that is a little too heavy for her; she seems to struggle w/form). Hope it's ok that I post links like this? I figure one can never have too many tricks in their exercise bag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZXv4...eature=related

Last edited by Hat Trick; 09-09-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #105  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone - I did my 45 minute elliptical this morning, but my On Demand is still out, so no other workout video... I have the cable box in my car to go exchange at a comcast facility later today... Figure I'll work out with the weider tonight when I get home. DH takes his certification exam tomorrow, so tonight is my last night of staying out of his way while he works, getting the Weider in will be harder after that! I'm thinking about shifting my workout routine to having a Monday night session, at least for football season!

dlp - welcome! I've heard a lot of good things about the Denise Austin videos -if I don't get my Exercise TV On Demand back I may be looking for them myself...

Schumeany - perfectly okay to just pop in occassionally! I know what you mean with the exercise bike at home - sometimes I don't get to mine until late at night or way early in the morning, couldn't do that at most gyms!

Claire - don't worry about missing the Pilates class, you have a lot going on right now! Good job on getting out there for a 'wog'! And, I'm trying to feel better. It seems like I've had some kind of upper respiratory crud going on for the last six months... I'm ready for it to be cool outside - the hot and humidity sure doesn't help...

Puffin - walking on the beach sounds wonderful... Glad you are feeling better!

Hat - I have that same yoga DVD and have never even taken the plastic wrap off it... I need to get it out and use it. I've been watching the commercials for 'Fringe' and really want to watch it, but I haven't been very invested in network tv the last few years, so don't know if I'll make it... I've been pretty much only watching old tv series on DVD that I was behind on... or, in the case of 'Buffy' that I just rewatched, just wanted to see again...