Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

Default How Did You Start?

I was just wondering how everyone started out with their exercise? I try and my knees hurt or some other part of my body is hurting 10 min into it. I was interested in some ideas for exercises that wouldn't be so hard. Thanks!
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

The easiest exercises to do are walking and swimming. They are also both excellent for increasing fitness.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/236/154

Height: 5'6"

I use the elliptical machine and the stationary bike at the gym.
My advice is not to run until you get to a lower weight, I did this and got a stress fracture in my leg and then couldn't exercise at all for 3 months.
Britt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I've been doing Curves. It's low impact but I work burn at least 550 cal per session. I have a rod in my leg so I understand about legs and knees hurting. Low impact is the best for me. I also like to ride a stationary bike.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/188/160

Height: 5"6

The best exercises to do until you get to a lower weight would include water exercises (swimming, water aerobics), and walking (make sure you have good sneakers!)… Other than that, there are some seated exercises that you can do (arm raises, leg lifts)… Basically, you want to avoid exercises that are going to put too much strain on your joints.. Good luck
countrygirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I started by bouncing on a rebounder, in front of the TV, for 20-30 minutes at a time. I loved that...it was a perfect starter exercise for me. I switched later to a variety of things - exercise tapes, walk/jogging, and finally, the elliptical, running, and weight lifting.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Depending on how I define 'starting', it would be a few different things. The start of my successful weight loss started with weight lifting only.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #8  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I started off by doing aerobics tapes which show "beginner" options. I like the tapes/DVD's which have people of different levels working out at the same time, so you can just pick a person at your level and follow him/her.

I have older tapes from Susan Powter which have exercisers of all shapes, even one spunky lady who looks to be quite obese but she powers through the work-outs just fine. So, I just followed that side of the room.

If you can find some of those tapes from Susan I would recommend them highly for a beginner. She always shows modifications for exercises if you are having trouble doing them or keeping up, she has people of all sizes in her tapes doing the work-outs at the different levels with different modifications, and she stresses proper form. She isn't doing high impact aerobics or lunges, so it should be do-able for you.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #9  

I started out with long, slow walks around town. I was all achy at the end without any muscle pain so I started taking glucosmine to help with the joints and I still take ibuprofin from time to time after a walk, but the aches and stiffness went away after a few weeks of taking glucosmine (just pretend I spell it right).
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote