I have been taking bellydance classes for the past year or so. It is great! I can only speak from my own experience as I am not a fitness expert. To me bellydancing is as follows:
1. Good cardio workout without stress on knees.
2. Exercises most of your body, legs, hips,butt, thighs,abs, arms but I have never felt hurt after a class just limber and invigorated.
3. My problem areas are my butt and thighs and I have lost 2 skirt sizes already! I have always had a problem losing inches in these areas.
4. It teaches you to stand tall and lift your sternum, hold head up level, gives you better posture and balance which is great for your spine.
5. No special equipment required, a flowing skirt or leggings and a scarf to tie around your hips are all that is needed-most people dance in barefeet, socks or ballet slippers.
6. Empowering! There are women of all ages shapes and sizes in my classes. People seem to be selfconscious for the first 2 classes and then just get into and lose themselves in the music.
7. Enlightning.. it makes you feel very womanly and sexy no matter what your size and you carry that over into your daily life.. I feel much more confident about myself.
8. Classes are fun so I rarely miss a class.. I am not motivated when it comes to going to a gym.
9. It also exposes you to another culture and some very beautiful music.. good for the mind and soul.
10. Once you learn the moves you can practice at home whenever you feel like it and to most types of music that has a good beat to it.
Enough of my rambling...I love belly dancing that's all there is to it! Hope this has helped a bit.