Boxing and Kickboxing

• Hi all,

I joined a gym called KO Boxing & Fitness, which is a little gym down the street from my office and my house. A friend at work has been going to the a.m. kickboxing class and encouraged me to join. After a good six months of thinking about it, pondering it over, and basically procrastinating, I finally joined. All I can tell you is this class is the best, albeit hardest, workout I've ever done. It's an hour long, and during the course of the class we do bag work, i.e. jabs, hooks, fast punching and kicking all with a heavy bag; pushups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, lots of ab work like situps and bicycles... I've only been to three classes so far, and each time it's been a little different. They have about six other classes, but all have a boxing/kickboxing focus. I just LOVE it. I'm not in good enough shape yet to do everything the instructor does without stopping, but I'm not embarrassed to do as much as I can and go at my own pace. Twice I've been at 5:30 in the morning, and last Wednesday I went at 7 p.m. Although it's nice to have it done and out of the way first thing in the morning, but it's also great to be able to punch something after a long day at work! ha ha...

Just wondering if any of you have taken boxing or kickboxing classes and what your experience has been? Any suggestions for a beginner? I have to admit I was REALLY sore after the first class, but it's been getting progressively better each time. I am thinking of wearing a HR monitor, because I do really push myself and don't want to overdo it. I'm guessing I burn around 600-700 calories a class, at least. I'm drenched by the end and really feel like I couldn't do another thing.

They will be offering a 10 week program for women called GIII (stands for Go Girl Go, ha ha...) that I am thinking about joining. It's a group of 10 women or fewer, and you get specialized classes, a private training session, and weekly nutritional support from a trainer. It's $250 for 10 weeks, but that really seems reasonable for what you get. Plus you have a group to be accountable to. I'll let you know how it goes, it starts toward the end of August.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you on this!

• I'm so glad that you posted something about this. I don't have any information for you, but I have been pondering going to a Kickboxing class, but feel weird due to my weight. You made me rethink that and I appreciate it. I looked into the classes here and they are mostly in a Martial Arts Studio. They were $25 a week though, which is right on par with what you quoted. I hope someone who knows chimes in!
  • Hi Sassy,

There are a couple of other women in the class my size or bigger, but overall it's a diverse group... and mostly women. Of course the GIII will be for women only. The place I've been going is a gym, so there is a $29.00 monthly membership which includes all the classes, plus use of the equipment, and then the training is extra. Don't be intimidated because of your size. Like I said, I've had to stop and catch my breath for a bit in the middle of the class, but I feel good that I'm pushing my limits and getting stronger every time I go. It's a great feeling. Plus, it really is a good way to let off some steam, too. Will they let you take one class to try it and see how you like it? I hope you get to try it and really give yourself a workout. My confidence is already building, which is a big issue for me. I'd highly recomend it!
  • I go to the kick boxing class offered at my gym and absolutely love it (so much so I bought my own punching bag for those mornings when I really can't drag my bum further than my own garage!)
  • I just tried a Muai Thai boxing class last night. Holy. Not for the beginner fitness person. It was almost 2 hours of old fashioned situps pushups and partner work. FIRST CLASS! I was a bit shy because its with men too and I'm not used to that but.. Wow.. Give it a try once you get used to boxing and kick boxing a bit more. It will help you even though it's different techniques.

This really is the best way to workout. No more machines for me at the gym! It has been good to me and I don't get bored. I feel like I am focused and I concentrate and there's not TV to distract me. It's just good ol' training.
  • Thanks Mukisa; they actually offer that class where I go, and I was wondering what it was. You're right about the focus: no reading, watching TV or zoning out on a machine... you are really paying attention and WORKING hard. It feels great. I will wait a bit, since I'm barely keeping up in the regular ol' classes, and challenge myself with that when the time comes.

Lyria- look at that bod! Congratulations on getting in shape, you look great!! Don't have any room at home for a bag myself, but with my gym only less than 1/2 mile away, it's really easy for me to make it there to work out. I'm going to class tonight and really looking forward to it!