Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Menstrual Cramps worsen after exercise?

I just started doing Turbo Jam yesterday. This morning when I woke up I had very very slight premenstrual cramps and I always heard that working out can help. Anyway I'm determined to do the TJ 10 day challenge so I went ahead and did the 20 minute workout.
Almost immediatly afterwards, while getting some water, my cramps came back so bad I couldn't stand up straight. I tried walking them off but I kept doubling over in pain. I took 2 pain killers, drank some water. Called my husband. Then I ate a banana and took a shower. Seems to be okay now but I didn't know if any of you had a similar experience? I do have an IUD inserted so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
CTripp924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #2  

for me, exercise make mine better. i hope you feel better soon.
bluemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Usually mild exercise helps mine, I'm sorry yours came back with such ferocity. That's a bummer, but we are all different.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Well, yesterday and today is not really a long enough time to change things up.

I have found that my cramps are *much* less bothersome when I'm eating right and exercising, over the long haul.

A bit of moderate exercise will also help alleviate whatever cramps I do have at the time I'm exercising, but as soon as my heart rate is down a bit, they do come back.

(keeping in mind that I used to have the kind of cramps that put me in bed and made me not be able to eat anything ... so having any that are bearable is a huge improvement for me! )

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #5  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've never had that problem. Quite the opposite, actually: since I started working out regularly and eating right, my cramps have virtually disappeared.

I still get them, but they are so minor as to just be an annoyance, and I don't even need to take anything for the pain anymore.

To illustrate how big a deal that is for me: I used to get menstrual cramps so severe that I could oftentimes barely function. As I've posted before, I would literally have to take 4 ibuprofen every few hours just so I could get through the day. Otherwise, I would be reduced to a miserable, quivering mess curled into a fetal position all day.

That being said, I'm not sure why exercising would make your cramps come on so fiercly. Maybe you should schedule an appointment with your ob/gyn just to make sure there are no problems with your IUD.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote