Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #31  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
I could be like Josephine and run in the wee early hours when it's a bit cooler, but unfortunately I am a night owl and don't get to sleep until about 2 a.m. No way I'm going to wake up 3 hours later, run, then go back to sleep!
No need, since you're a night owl you would enjoy running at about 1 am. It is lovely out then! Looks alot like 5 am!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #32  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I'd be too worried about the freaky-freaks out there.

The bike/jogging trails near my house aren't lit at night (and they are a little isolated) , and I'm not comfortable being on the streets alone at that hour.

It just seems too risky.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #33  
Michelle the Vegan

oops weird double post!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #34  
Michelle the Vegan

I ran 5.08 this morning, and MAN was the humidity bad. Any true trace of coolness that I used to get in the morning is pretty much gone and all I'm benefiting from is the absence of the sun. It is really hard for me when it gets this way. Ick.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #35  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I managed to get through W3D1 today. I slowed way down and it wasn't to bad. Normally I would do the recovery at 3.5 and the jogs at 5-5.3mph. I slowed down to 3.3 and 4.5 and I did it.

On a totally unrelated note I broke down today and bought a ball. I have decided that if my a$$ is gonna be perched in front of the computer or at the kitchen table I am going to sit on it instead. DH hates it already. :/
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #36  
Michelle the Vegan

I ran 6.02 mile this morning and when I came back and stepped on the scale it said I'd lost over 4 pounds of sweat in that time, it was just brutally humid.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #37  
Michelle the Vegan

I did 8.07 miles this morning. Felt really strong, if the weather were cooler and less humid I think I'd have no problems going over 10, but I'm just gonna wait for some perfect weather. It is just so hot and miserable and I have no desire to bonk on a really long run and ruin a whole day feeling crappy.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #38  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

After taking it kind of easy this past week I got back into running mode and did two 6 milers this weekend. Felt great! And no sign of wear and tear other than feel good muscle fatigue.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 224/221/160

Height: 5' 7"

Compared to some of you guys I am a newbie! I am doing the C25K and I am about week three, repeating some days and weeks.
I run around 4-4.5mph and walk 3mph on the treadmill, i am able to talk, not a complete sentence, but not huffing and puffing, is that a good spead? I would like to go outside and run, but I am strapped for time and jumping on the treadmill and running/walking 30 minutes is perfect to me! I am getting smaller, no great difference on the scale, need to throw that out I think!
Tyler you are a inspiration with how much you run, i can barely do 1.5miles in the 30 minutes!
Parveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #40  
Michelle the Vegan

Just keep it up, I couldn't run half a block when I started and wasn't sure I would EVER be able to. You WILL get there. Your speed sounds perfect, the "talk/sing test" is also what I use to judge proper speed. You're doing great!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #41  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Can I join??? I'm really focusing on my running (since losing the majority of the fatty fat!) and would love to race competitively (another FL girl here!!) Currently I run on the treadmill (when I started a year ago, I didn't last 5 minutes on the elliptical) and am doing a minimum of 5K 5 nights a week...but tonight I did 4.25 miles in 50:30. Would like to get under an 11 minute mile. Would also like to incorporate outdoor running - bascially cause I know it is more difficult (esp. in humid filled FL)....

So anyways, I run at night so I'll check in and post my times/distances and would love to hear any tips you might have for moving from the treadmill to outdoors...might go run the beach with a guy from the gym in the next couple of weeks....but I'm headed out of town this weekend, so it won't happen too soon!
~Amanda
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #42  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Well, I ended up running on my treadmill last night for 40 minutes!

I've only been doing 30 minutes, up from 25, for about 2 weeks. I didn't intend to go so long, but I was watching a subtitled movie, and was paying more attention to reading the lines (while listening to songs on my iPod) than keeping an eye on my time.

I normally will listen to 8 songs before I'll allow myself to look at the timer on the treadmill, and it usually comes out to a little over 30 minutes. Well, I must have missed counting a song or two while I was watching the movie, since I was stunned to see I'd been at it for 40 minutes when I thought my 8 songs were up!

And, funny enough, I was watching "Run, Lola, Run."

Even though it was a mistake, I'm happy that this puts me closer to my goal of getting back to running 45 minutes a day like I used to do years ago.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #43  
Michelle the Vegan

Welcome, Amanda! My main advice to transitioning to running outside is to do it a bit at a time so your feet, joints, tendons etc. get used to the road at the same time as you acclimatize to the weather. No need to rush it. If you start now, you'll be ready for all the fall/winter 5k races when the weather is much nicer here in Florida.

Way to go AC, I loved the movie Run, Lola, Run! Great job!

I ran 4.20 this morning, and was wondering how my legs would feel after the Monday long run (and swimming & biking yesterday), but they felt great, no residual soreness, yay! I really think cross training is helping to work out any possible soreness.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #44  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I'm exhausted this morning - I tossed and turned all night last night - I really hope that does not effect my run tonight. I'd like to get another 4.25 miles under my belt!

Apple - like you, I watch the tv at the gym, reading subtitles, while listening to music...I use a magazine to cover the timer and the mileage and just allow myself to check the mileage every so often.

Tyler - thanks for the ideas. I think you are right - just with any change, we need to work our ways into it. Can't leap the hurdle yet, but will try to run outside 2 days/week. Have an offer from one of the guys at the gym that checks me out (and actually speaks to me!) to run the beach a couple times a week....with his side comment of "when it gets to hot, you can just splash in the water" haha - fun - he actually is quite a nice guy. I may take him up on it in a couple of weeks. I really would have to switch my gym schedule around in order to take up running outside - or only run outside on the weekends. Currently I'm at the gym Mon-Fri 7:30-9:30pm or thereabouts....so I definitely want to move to outside running - but will have to do that on Sat/Sun - not willing to change my gym routine at this point.

Well...I gotta work - boo hoo!

I'll let you know how I fare tonight - hopefully get a good nap in before I go!
~Amanda
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #45  
Music and Faith

S/C/G: 241/234/160

Height: 5'11"

It is soooo hard for me to run for long periods of time...I do many walk/jogs but I can never go more than half a mile without stopping to walk, although I am constantly doing cardio (elliptical, precore, volleyball, softball). I think it might be a mind block or something. How long did it take you guys to build up to running for a long period of time?
singerlmz is offline   Reply With Quote