Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #1  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Curves anyone?

Alright.. so I joined the 30 days for 30 bucks program and did a 'guided workout' this morning.

Keeping in mind.. I partially tore a ligament in my left knee last fall. it still gives me grief.. so I skipped the hamstring curls and squat machines.. but I did this crappy leg isolated thigh thng.. and my left knee wont stop throbbing! (never again!)

What are your thoughts on the 'curves circuit'... I've always thought it was kind of a joke (I took women's classes on weight lifting in college) but I went with a friend and enjoyed it. I'm looking for opinions, thoughts. etc. I wont actually join because of the cost when my 30 days expires.

Last edited by valpal23; 06-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I joined about six weeks ago. I did lift weights in college a long time ago, but I have mostly been a couch potato in recent years. The reason I joined Curves was because my neighbor was going regularly, and since she'd already been going for years, maybe I'd stick with it going with her.

Like you, I was thinking Curves was better than nothing, but not much better. However, I've been very surprised. It really kicked my metabolism into gear and I'm losing weight much faster now. Also, I can see results in my strength and muscle tone.

It probably helps that I try hard to get my money/time worth on that circuit. I *paid* for access to those machines and I've got things to do, so there was no point in just going through the motions. I think it is easy to treat Curves as a kaffe klatch. But if you put your heart into it, you can get a decent workout.

At some point, I think I do want to add some more serious strength training. That would probably be with a few free weights at home in addition to Curves.

I may feel that I've hit a wall at Curves by the time my membership runs out (I paid for a full year), but for now, I am very happy with the results.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

how much does it cost after 30 days?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Thumbs up I like Curves

I've been a member at Curves for almost 3 years, although i continue to struggle to get there regularly. This is no fault of Curves, but my own.
I got in on a special deal where my joining fee was greatly reduced and currently pay $31 per month(including tax). As far as i know it's no more than 37 per month(including tax) if you join now and i'm in the Seattle area where we have a pretty high cost of living.

When i go 3x aweek and make sure that i'm keeping my heart rate elevated, not just going thru the motions, i lose inches and lbs and gain strength.

The way the machines work is the harder you push the more resistance you get and the more you work your muscles. Supplementing w/some free weights is helpful i'm sure depending on what muscles you feel need more work. I like that i can go and work hard and get a cardio and muscle workout all in about 30-35 minutes. I actually prefer it to the machines with the weights that you have to continually adjust and i like that it's for women only as i feel less self-conscious in that environment.

I've thought about quitting to save the money and just walk and work out on my own, but i know that i need the structure and support that i find there. Of course each owner manages in their own way so all curves are not created equal in that sense. I'm fortunate to have found a good one where the owner is very dedicated to helping her clients really get the most out of their membership.

I'd recommend really giving it a chance during those 30 days. There approach is backed by research. I think there can be more than one valid way to do a strengthening workout and i think Curves is a good one for a lot of women.
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

thank you, that was informative... i think i will try the 30 dollars for 30 days thing because i have a gym in mind that i want to join when i go back to school in september.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I know the place has received some harsh criticism- but I love it. I've lived a very sedentary life and often "ran" in the other direction at the mere thought of exercising. Now, I live for my 3 days a week, and sometimes extra if I have the time. I love that it's only 30 minutes, females only, and I don't have to adjust anything, feel self conscious, or worry about people being annoyed because I'm not the workout guru. Everyone there is so supportive and I feel like really accomplishing something (wait! I am!) It has springloaded my weight loss, helped me lose inches, and given me even more motivation than I ever thought possible. Sure, the repetition of the circuit might seem awful to some, and that's fine, but for me, it's just the kind of place I need to keep me active. I just wish I'd discovered it sooner. Good luck and I hope this helps a little!!!!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 376/see ticker/195

Height: 6'2"

For those of you who have tried it, can you tell me a little about the size restrictions on the machines? I am 350 pounds, and 6'2". I fear I will be either too wide (I wear a size 30) or too tall not exactly a normal height for a woman. I also feel too self-conscious to do it, but I often think if I am giving someone my money, I may be more commited. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Angie
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

You can go in and try the machines. Just call and ask.

I was a member before I got pregnant and I do recall we had some women there quite a bit larger than my then 250 pounds. And since everyone carries their weight differently that is hard to tell. I would be more concerned about your height and what your range of motion would be.

As for the workout itself, I agree with what others said. If you go in and DO it you can see results. If you go in and chat the whole time more than likely you won't be as focused and will only be going through the motions. I live in a retirement community and it seems more like a senior social than any gym.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 179/168/130

Height: 5'3"

You've chosen a 30-day package, so you'll see for yourself if it suits you. Depending on your activity goals, be careful about signing up for a long period.

I signed up at a Curves-type of place (independent place but with the same machines, along with classes and ellipticals/treadmills). It was great because it was not intimidating -- all women, mostly heavy and elderly women. No gym bunnies at the Ladies Fitness Center!

I went most days and used the cardio equipment. After about 2 months, I'd lost about 16 lbs and felt better about myself. But I didn't want to just run on a treadmill forever, and I don't like the Curves machines. The classes were also sub-par.

So I outgrew the place pretty quickly. I then joined a regular gym for the first time in my life and am really getting a lot out of all the services, classes, equipment, and locations that are available.

That said, I am *so* glad I joined the Curves-style place, because if I hadn't, I'd still be sitting on my couch and I'd probably be a few pounds fatter instead of *drum roll* 22.6 lbs lighter.

So good for you! Either way, it's a positive step.
yoyomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #10  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

thanks for the responses Ladies -- I have the impression curves is more suited for the type of person who wasnt already working out 6x a week.... but I actually cant raise my body temp too much.. so the walking in the spot thing might be alright....

It does feel too much like an older woman's social club... it didnt help that I'm not a morning person and my 'trainer' was a retired woman who liked to wiggle her hips to the beat of the cheesy curves music. Good thing I went with a friend so I couldnt just ditch out.

The inches will tell the story I suppose. I know how much I lose typically in a month... we'll see where I'm at end of July.

Last edited by valpal23; 07-01-2008 at 12:05 AM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote