Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Default What to expect/look for in a gym???

I'm hoping to get over to my local gym this afternoon (though it may get put off til next week) to check them out and try to decide if I should join. I don't really know what to expect though... Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not even really sure what to do. Walk in and say "Show me whatcha got!"?

Does anyone have any advice on how the "scoping a gym out" process works and what I should look for, what I should ask, etc? I'm planning to ask about their pricing structure (ie if I can pay month by month - I refuse to join a gym that makes me commit to a year) and hours and if they have people who can show me how to use the equipment. Should I ask if they have a trial period of some kind? I feel kind of like a jerk asking for free stuff, but I know that's probably silly since it's one of those products most people won't buy til they try and they know and expect that.

I probably sound way too concerned about how to do this, but I'm a very socially awkward/anxious person and tend to get confused as to what's expected in situations I've never been in before.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I looked for a place whose pricing was OK, that was clean, had lots of the type of equipment I was looking for, and where the staff was friendly. A lot of places may give you a free trial before you decide to join. You just have to ask.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I agree w/ modkitten. Clean, Friendly and a lot of variety is key. What's most important to me is that you feel comfortable and motivated when you're there. Don't join if the gym makes you feel intimidated or if you don't feel insipired to be fit.

Once you start.. you'll be hooked...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I belong to the local gym (LA Fitness is one of the bigger chains)....they send a 2 week freebie trial in the mail. I joined because.

the hours work for me 7 days a week 5AM-12midnight (10Pm on weekends).

it's really clean, locker rooms/showers/ sauna/pool gym itself, there is a staff cleaning most of the day.

has a huge variety of equipment....and cardio variety. Lots of TVs, but i just use my Ipod

Discount membership for firemen/police/hospital because I'm employed there, its about $32.00 a month, billed to my CC....you can suspend the membership for a small fee if needed (like the summer).

Personal training is once and then they try to sell you their plan, BUT the trainers will also work you privately as needed for cash if you are discreet about paying them....so we all get to be a little *sneaky*, otherwise it's $112.00 a month for 5 1/2 hour session.

the thing to remember about a gym is that most people are self-absorbed, they aren't judging you. I just stick my earphones in and do my thing...I'm not unfriendly, but I don't socialize, i'm there to enjoy MY workout!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #5  
I like to move it,move it

S/C/G: 330/275/160

Height: 5'6"

Mine has a fantastic children's area, which is important to me. It is clean and the staff is friendly. It also has plenty of cardio machines so I have never had to wait for one---which is so important to me. Almost all reputible gyms will offer a trial period.
November2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Things I'd look for a gym include
1) Environment - Is it clean? Look at the machines, the bathrooms, etc. Is the music too loud? Does it seem like an inspiring place to work out?

2) Crowded ? - I'd always check out a gym around 5pm in the evening, possibly on a Monday (busiest day) before signing up. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are the least busiest days. 4-6pm should be the busiest time Monday through Thursday. It would also depend on when you plan to exercise.

3) Free weights section - If I was going to join a gym, it'd have a nice free weight section. Machines are nice but really you should look to stray away from the weight machines.

4) Classes - This is only if you are interested in classes. Look at the classes they offer, the times, etc.

5) Pool - Pools are awesome and good exercise but then again you might not be interested.

6) Initial personal training sessions - I think every gym should offer at least 1 personal training session to any new member.

7) Cost of personal training - How much will personal training be in the future?

8) Cost of the gym - How much does it cost?

9) Any free trial? Money back guarantee? etc? Some gyms have month to month plans, others have long contracts.

Last edited by nelie; 06-13-2008 at 11:25 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Hiya Betsi,

Most gym have somebody (in my gym, the person is called a "membership co-ordinator") who will take you around the gym to show you what's there, where the facilities are, etc. plus he/she will tell you what the cost is. (In a true sales people fashion, they usually don't spit out the price until the very end).

Ask if they have a trial membership or if you can get a free pass for a few days. My gym has two types of membership - one, where you pay each month and the other is that you sign up for a year. The "non-commital" membership is more costly but well worth if you are really unsure. I sprang for the annual because I had a really good vibe about my gym (that first night) and I have regretted.

I have to admit that I did not even check out the ladies' locker room and I did not get there until last week (I come already dressed for exercise and in summer, there is no need to put anything into a locker) and I was very nicely surprised. The locker room (that includes toilets and showers) is spotlessly clean and there are always fresh flowers on the washroom counter. I think it is a really nice touch. BTW, my gym is not a chain gym, this is a family owned business.

Don't fee bad about writing all your questions down and bringing them with you. You can check them off as you go. Nothing worse than having to find out you forgot something that is really important to you.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Eh, silly me, I forgot to add: ask if you will get some orientation session (once you sign up) with somebody who will show you how to use the individual machines.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I agree. I'm big on friendliness, cleanliness and ample space and equipment.

Check out a few gyms. Ask for a trial pass, good for 1-5 visits usually. If you don't like it, no problem, just try them until you find one you do like.

I'm big on the "community", friendly feel and tried a higher end gym near my home. No one wiped down the machines after they used them (and I mean no one) and the staff was very snooty. That doesn't cut it for me, even though the locker rooms were super nice.

Then I tried the Y. They have a very friendly staff, plenty of cardio, more than one weight area, and a variety of classes I can try at no extra charge. They also have the little things like a steam room, which I like.

I don't think gyms are one size fits all, so don't be afraid to get that free trial and ask lots of questions!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #10  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

As others have said: cleanliness, variety in machines and organization in free weight area, pool, adequate showers & lockers, children's area (I don't have children, but that is a really great feature, imo), classes, LOCATION and pricing.

But also, look around and see what the atmosphere is like -- do the other people there seem friendly and welcoming? etc.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I'm big on the "community", friendly feel and tried a higher end gym near my home. No one wiped down the machines after they used them (and I mean no one) and the staff was very snooty. That doesn't cut it for me, even though the locker rooms were super nice.

Then I tried the Y. They have a very friendly staff, plenty of cardio, more than one weight area, and a variety of classes I can try at no extra charge. They also have the little things like a steam room, which I like.
See, my experience was totally different. Our Y smelled horrible, it was dirty, and there wasn't a lot of variety for machines or classes. It was cheaper than the one I joined, though.

The one I joined is a higher end private company gym (its a local one to this area). Everyone wipes the machines, and the staff is super nice!

Just goes to show you that you really need to check out the places before you commit

And FYI location apparently doesn't matter much to me because mine is 3 blocks away and I STILL don't go as often as I should or plan to. But you could be different!

Last edited by modkittn; 06-13-2008 at 12:53 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Do some thinking - what are you going to use the gym for NOW, and what might you want to use it for in the future? You want to make sure they have lots of weights/equipment, and enough variety, to keep you challenged. And those machines you plan to use should be available at the time you'll normally be going to the gym.

Clean is big for me. Are there stations with towels around so that you can wipe equipment down? If not, people tend not to and...ick.

Courtesy is another. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to throw my water bottle at someone yammering on a cellphone while on the elliptical. Our gym had a "no cellphones" rule and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Nothing worse than being trapped next to someone while they talk about their boy troubles loudly enough you can hear it through your earphones.

Do you think you'll be the type to take exercise classes? If so, look at a schedule...figure out if any of the classes sound fun and are at a convenient time for you. My gym just gave me a list of what they offered, and I didn't think to check if the classes would actually be at times I could attend. So check that out.

I'd also want to know about the personal training staff and their credentials.

Finally, I'd check to make sure the locker rooms are clean, and that you feel comfortable in them (as comfortable as you can as a gym newbie!).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Good for you for working up the courage to check out your local gym! I think most people are a little (or a lot) intimidated the first time they go to a gym. It took me two years of sneaking sideways glances as I drove by before I actually worked up the walk through the doors of my gym (and I made my SO come with me so I wouldn't have to do it alone).

Don't feel like a jerk asking for free stuff. It's really smart to do that; I wish I had. A lot of gyms are willing to give you special deals if you don't jump at their first offer. If they want a year commitment, ask if there's any way you can reduce that. If they want a initial start-up fee, ask if that can be reduced or eliminated. Find out if they can reduce your monthly dues--you can say something like "this is a little more expensive than I was expecting, is there any way to reduce the fees?" Ask if there's any way you can get more than one free personal training session or a reduced rate on personal training. Some times the best way to negotiate is to act like you aren't really sure you're interested (I once got $500 off on a mattress with this approach--it was an accident; we were really "just looking" but once they cut the price by 1/3 we were buying).

Having belonged to a gym for three years, here is what I would look for:

1. Convenient location. I picked my gym because I can walk to it from my house. This trumps all other considerations for me. Having my gym so close has really been key to my continuing to go to it.

2. Personal training at a reasonable rate. Having worked with a personal trainer for three years now, I doubt I would ever join a gym that doesn't offer this. It has hands down been the number one factor in my success.

3. A wide variety of equipment and lots of cardio equipment. Variety has also been key to keeping myself motivated, so having lots of different types of cardio equipment is really important to me. And have lots of machines so that I don't have to wait to use the cardio equipment is also important. Go at the time you normally expect to go--are the cardio machines that you want to use available or would you have to wait for them?

4. Lots free weights (so you don't have to compete with others for them) and free weights in 5lb, 8lb, 10lb, 12lb, and 15lb increments. I've been to gyms where the lightest free weight they have is 15lb. That's great for guys, but I still need lighter weights for some of my exercises.

5. Other equipment available like BOSUs, exercise balls, medicine balls, resistance bands, etc. The more "toys" they have for you to work with, the better.

5. Equipment that is in working order. How many machines are broken when you walk around the gym. A lot of broken machines is probably a bad sign.

6. A clean locker room is nice but, I'm surprised to discover, not a deal-breaker for me. My gym actually is very clean, but the locker room where I swim is disgusting and I still swim there. The pool is truly fantastic, much better than the average pool, and that makes up for the disgusting locker room (and showers--I try never to touch anything in there--ick).

7. Perks like a sauna, steam room, etc. are nice to have (but their absence wouldn't be a deal breaker for me). If they do have these things, check them out to see how crowded they are.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
See, my experience was totally different. Our Y smelled horrible, it was dirty, and there wasn't a lot of variety for machines or classes. It was cheaper than the one I joined, though.

The one I joined is a higher end private company gym (its a local one to this area). Everyone wipes the machines, and the staff is super nice!

Just goes to show you that you really need to check out the places before you commit

And FYI location apparently doesn't matter much to me because mine is 3 blocks away and I STILL don't go as often as I should or plan to. But you could be different!
Very true. Y's vary so much on area. When I was in Nashville last summer, their Y's put my friendly local ones to shame with their state of the art cardio equipment with individual televisions. My Y here in Denver just went through a remodel a couple of years ago and was a real dump before that.

Oh, one more thing... as someone who has worked in a fitness center- you CAN haggle. Don't be afraid to ask for limited memberships, a waived initiation fee, etc...

Last edited by junebug41; 06-13-2008 at 01:10 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, yes! Seconding Barbara on the "toys".

I've discovered so many neat new things at my gym (and now that I work at home, I'm building my collection).

And I'd try to find a gym where they don't focus overly much on selling you stuff. 24-Hour, where I was, threw tons of sales pitches at me every time I went. The gym I ended up joining sold water and powerbars...period.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote