Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Bicycling Chicks!

So my thread detailing my saga of getting on a bike after decades of anxiety is gone.....probably a good thing! But I loved all of ya'll's support and stories and a few of us talked about starting a bicycling thread....

So here we go!

Feel free to post your miles, trips, joys, crashes (wear those helmets!), challenges, etc. We can all learn from each other and progress together on a bicycle built for 3 fat chicks!

midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I find it to be an omen when I was researching bikes online and happenned to check out 3fc, since it was down most of the day.

My main reason for getting a bike is that i work about 2 miles away, and can use it in place of a vehicle when the weather is ok. I can get in more exercise, save gas, be green, and also I won't spend as much money because I can't really carry too much on a bike.

I've excited. I hope to take the leap and make the purchase this weekend. Nothing overly expensive, I'm not doing the tour de france, just a nice bike, with a comfortable seat. ( no banana seats here )
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

You girls be careful....I won't let Angie ride hers!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Bikes are very safe if you know what you're doing, as a bicyclist. I commuted by bike for a few years in college, and only ever had one accident (a driver exiting a parking garage did not see me, pulled out and hit me), and I was not hurt.

I will be beginning to commute by bike and bus again soon (planning on this coming Monday, June 9th). It's 18 miles one-way, so I will need to use the bus for a stretch of the commute...to START with. I plan eventually to do it all, both ways.

I'm pretty stoked about getting back to it.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #5  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I'm glad to see the thread. I'm glad you're not giving up on your biking!! It's lots of fun! I plan to start commuting to work soon, the weathers still been a little unpredictable around here. I only work 3 miles away, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, and should help save in gas! I'm planning on going on a bike ride on Sunday. Have fun riding!!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
You girls be careful....I won't let Angie ride hers!
Why??
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

It's really hot here today so I biked about 15k, I just cannot run in hot weather...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Why??

I was only kidding...a little

If you knew Angie you would know I can't "make" her do or not do anything! She owns me

However, I discourage her from riding in the streets in our busy area. I am all for bike riding....but safety first!

Enjoy your ride gals...be safe!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

I was only kidding...a little

If you knew Angie you would know I can't "make" her do or not do anything! She owns me

However, I discourage her from riding in the streets in our busy area. I am all for bike riding....but safety first!

Enjoy your ride gals...be safe!!
I see
Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #10  

I just got done from riding for about 45 minutes. I rode up and down my street a bunch, practicing starting and stopping and practicing balancing while standing on the pedals. Then I rode into my neighborhood and did some turns! DH and DS rode their bikes with me and DD ran along side (I was on her bike). I couldn't believe that I was out riding bikes with my family.

I never ever thought it would happen. I get so much inspiration from 3FC, to try new things and to have confidence in our bodies. Thanks so much!

I think I am going to go ahead and buy myself a bike now. Then we can all really go as a family.

I was really tense the first couple of trips up and down the block. I had a death grip on the bike and I asked DH, "When does this start to get fun?" But then later I was really going and.....I actually had fun! Until a bug flew into my eye. But then I had fun again!

Watch out world!!

(And EZ I will be as safe as I can )
Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #11  
aka Sarah

My husband took the kids out shopping this afternoon, and I asked him to pick me up a bicycle helmet, because it's been about 15 years since I rode regularly and my old one is just trashed and far too cobwebby for me to contemplate putting it on my head. I requested a purple helmet, specifically. And that's what he brought home, whoo! Bicycle helmets didn't come in spiffy colors 20 years ago so much when I was really riding--my old one is boring white.

So then I got my bike out after the heat of the day had abated somewhat. It's been living on a covered patio and was QUITE cobwebby and dusty. Poor old girl, she deserves better. Cleaned her up and my husband attempted to pump up the tires enough--failed. I need a new pump.

But the tire pressure was reasonable enough for me to get out and ride on the streets for about 15 minutes, SLOWLY though. I only did about 1.5 miles in those 15 minutes due to the low tire pressure and, well, the fact that I'm in horrendous shape and 130 pounds overweight. I kicked my booty, aerobically-speaking. (Not to mention, OW bicycle seats hurt.)

Clearly I'm going to have to build back up to being able to do half an hour or more at a good pace. Well, and I really need a bicycle pump that's capable of putting enough air in the tires, or I'll never get any real speed.

Anyways, it was fun! And I've got a looooooong way to go toward my goal.

Oh, I also figured out that bicycle commuting will be completely impractical at this point in time, because the bus schedules utterly suck. I'd basically be out of the house for 13.5 hours every day due to the lameness of the bus I'd need to take for about 13 of the miles along the route. (Because there's no way I can ride the whole 18 miles at my current fitness level.)
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

So, yesterday I bought a bike. Just a 'generic' one, something to do the job....I was all ready to jaunt to work and back, lickity split. So, this morning I go to scope out the route...

Yeah, I'm not going to be going to work on my bike any time in the immediate future. Ouch! What a work out! I rode around ( not to work ), did maybe 5 miles. Kicked my butt, and not just the bike seat! So, I'm going to have to work up to my huge 2.5 miles to work, so I can do it in less time than if I was walking and not be dripping in sweat.

Does anyone have experience riding in heavily trafficked areas? There are bike paths and stuff around, but none that take me directly to work. If anyone has any tips on how to deal with traffic, let me know.

When I was a little kid, riding my bike was second nature. It was my main mode of transportation. I just jumped on and off I'd go. It was like starting over today.
The things we take for granted, and the level of fitness we (I) over estimate.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #13  

Yeah, WarMaiden and Goddess (clearly I need a much cooler user id! )!

I am so proud of both of you!

I am not sure what I am going to end up doing with speed and streets and all. Just take it one day, one ride at a time. I am pretty lucky that I do have bike paths and bike lanes, but I think I need a lot more practice before I risk life and limb (mine and other peoples!).

I pedaled pretty slow yesterday....I kind of felt like I was going faster at a certain point, but then my DD caught up to me running. In flip flops. So I am not faster than a 15 year old in flip flops (she CAN run a 6 minute mile, but I doubt she was going that fast yesterday).

Congrats on the new helmet, Sarah! And the new bike, Goddess.

I did get a little sore in the ol' crotch region yesterday....I need to go find proper shorts and getting a good seat will be vital. Baby steps, baby steps.

It's very fun to go through this with you guys! Yea for new cyclists!

I wanted to add though, that as with anything else, practice is the way to go. The first time I did the leg press at the gym, I couldn't sit for 4 days---my quads were soooo sore. But then I got better at it. So I know that when we keep trying and practicing, we will build endurance and muscles (and crotch calluses????) and be just fine.

Promise.

Last edited by midwife; 06-08-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
(clearly I need a much cooler user id! )!
Uh, no. A Midwife IS a Warrior, a Goddess and a Super Hero, thank you very much.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #15  
aka Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
Does anyone have experience riding in heavily trafficked areas? There are bike paths and stuff around, but none that take me directly to work. If anyone has any tips on how to deal with traffic, let me know.
Yep, I used to ride all the time in traffic. Tips:

1. Plot a route with streets that have wide, paved bike lanes, if possible. I'm not talking about sidewalks or bike paths that are like sidewalks; I mean the area between the car lane and the curb which is specifically for bikes. Sometimes finding a route like this means taking a street that you wouldn't necessarily go down if you're driving. That's OK; it's better to go a little bit out of your way and have a safer and less-stressful ride. Do NOT ever ride on the sidewalks; it's actually more dangerous to do so, because car drivers don't anticipate you being there.

2. Often, neighborhood streets are more relaxing, less polluted, and have slower traffic than the big thoroughfare streets that may be just a block away. It's possible you can go the whole way on a parallel street and avoid the heavy-traffic places.

3. Act like a car. This means following the traffic laws just like a car would: stop at stop signs and stoplights, give cars the right-of-way when it's their turn, when you want to turn left get in the left turn lane just like a car would. In most places, it's the law that you have to act like a car. Also, you will make motorists angry if you're not following the laws, and they don't have to; making motorists angry creates problems potentially not only for you, but for all bicyclists. (Because it makes car-drivers think we're all jerks.)

4. Think like a car-driver, and realize that you are mostly invisible to them. Places where you need to really watch out are at intersections when cars are turning (and you're not turning), and when someone is sitting in a car at the curb (and may potentially open their door right in your face as you're cruising by). Drivers are not looking for you and don't expect you to be where they want to go, so you must bike defensively and assume that whatever could go wrong, may go wrong.

5. Always wear your helmet!!!

That's most of my tips. There's a lot of good sites on the web for more info on bicycle commuting, just do a Google search and you'll find plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
The things we take for granted, and the level of fitness we (I) over estimate.
No kidding, I used to ride 30 to 45 mins at a good clip with no problems. Oh man I'm out of shape now

Quote:
I pedaled pretty slow yesterday....I kind of felt like I was going faster at a certain point, but then my DD caught up to me running. In flip flops. So I am not faster than a 15 year old in flip flops (she CAN run a 6 minute mile, but I doubt she was going that fast yesterday).
Good work on the whole, you'll speed up soon as you get comfortable.

Quote:
I did get a little sore in the ol' crotch region yesterday....I need to go find proper shorts and getting a good seat will be vital. Baby steps, baby steps.
My sweet old bike has a nice big seat that I purchased when I first got it, for better comfort. Have never worn bike shorts much, because my seat was plenty padded for me. Adjusting to any upright bicycle seat is definitely a getting-used-to-it process.

Quote:
So I know that when we keep trying and practicing, we will build endurance and muscles (and crotch calluses????) and be just fine.
Crotch calluses! I don't recall getting those previously, but you never know--I'm older and heavier now!