Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #16  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I don't think that would work for me too well, I know myself. I work out at home, and right now, I really have no life, so I can't say that the exercise is in the way of anything important. But, I have to set a schedule and stick to it. So far, my plan was to work out every other day and I have been maintaining the plan for two months.
I do try to plan ahead if I need to - for example, I worked out on Saturday so today was supposed to be my next work out. But I knew that a few coworkers and I were to meet after work (one of my coworkers resigned and the management who has funky ideas sometimes, asked her to leave immediately, so we did not even a chance to say Bye). So knowing that, I worked out on Sunday instead to make up for today.

But hahaha, life is full of surprises! We actually did meet today at 4pm, just for an hour, and I ate a chicken pesto panini and now I am stuffed like the holiday turkey. So it looks like after I give myself an hour to digest the meal, I will have to get on the treadmill again, for a third day in the row.

But, to return to topic at hand, we are all different. I don't expect anyone to live by my own rules. As long as you are losing weight/inches (or whatever was your goal) it does not matter that much how you get there.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
As long as you are losing weight/inches (or whatever was your goal) it does not matter that much how you get there.
I kinda have to disagree with this. I see it expressed a lot here, but there are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight and I don't think that saying "no matter what you're doing, if you're losing, you're ok" is necessarily a good thing.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #18  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

PhotoChick -- in your earlier post you hit the nail right on the head. Exercising has many, many benefits other than to help in losing wt. I look at my 80 yr old rheumatoid arthritic mom and hope I never have to suffer the way she does. She was a stay at home mom and never exercised. Oh, there were diets -- I remember her going to WW and all -- but never, ever any exercise. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference in her getting RA --but it may have made it more bearable. I look at her 83 yr old sister (my aunt) who walked and swam w/her husband from the time she was 40 or so. She's broken more bones in the past few yrs and cannot walk at this point due to a recent fall that fractured several ribs and broke her arm. I've learned from her that cardio is not the be all end all and I've incorported wts into my life. I do NOT want to be like them at that age so I will get my butt up from whatever it is and JUST DO IT. No, I do not go gaily singing and shouting 'Yipee' everytime I go workout; but I go and I do it. I've learned that for me breaking it up into 30 minute w/outs is better than trying to do it all in one long shot. I've discovered yoga and pilates. I lift wts, I use a stability ball, I do TM intervals, I walk my dog, I wash the car, I pull weeds. I move.

You are so very right about having to incorporate exercise to lose wt when you're older. Ah, I remember the good old days when I could skip Friday night's dinner, drink a few beers and nibble on some popcorn instead, and by late afternoon on Sat the scale w/be down 2 or 3 lbs, and 1 of those lbs would stay off. *snort*, what I wouldn't give to go back and whap that fool upside the head and tell her to GET THE LEAD OUT and MOVE!!!

Liking exercise really has nothing to do with exercising. Move because you can. Go to the park and play frisbee, go to the beach and play in the sand, shovel some snow, try rock climbing, do silly walks in the mall, play flashlight tag -- just move and be strong and thank God that you have the ability to do these things. Not everyone does.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Some days I don't want to go to work, but I go anyways...... Some days I don't want to go to the gym, but I go anyways.... It's part of a daily routine like brushing my teeth, it's gotta get done....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #20  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I kinda have to disagree with this. I see it expressed a lot here, but there are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight and I don't think that saying "no matter what you're doing, if you're losing, you're ok" is necessarily a good thing.

You are right, of course. When I read your post, I realized right away where you were heading with this. I, of course, did not mean to imply to that purging, for example, would be ok even if it lead to weight loss. I should have been clearer - I meant something along the line 'no matter whether you exercise following a set plan or exercise when you feel like it' - something like that.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #21  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

its just part of my day! everything else is scheduled around work and the gym!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote