Rowing Machines: What's your take?

• I went to the gym today and decided to try the rowing machine for the first time. I saw a man using it the other day and it looked like fun. I strapped myself in and rowed for 20 minutes. While working on it, it felt like cardio.... but when I got off, my muscles made it feel more like resistence training (I think I might be sore tomorrow, lol.) So, is the rowing machine a little bit of both? Have any of you used it? Do you love it or hate it? I would love to hear people's takes on the machine since it's my first time using it, and I am not sure whether to add it in as a staple in my usual exercise program. Does anyone know how many calories it burns? It didn't have any kind of calorie display- only speed, time and meters. Thanks in advance for your insight!
  • I use it and love it. As for how it fits into my exercise plan, I have a three day rotation of arms/chest, abs/back, and legs/butt, where I do resistance training that targets each of those on their respective days, and then some kind of cardio every day. I do the rower on arms days, but count it partially toward my cardio. What I mean by partially is, I normally aim for 30-40 minutes cardio, but on the rower I can only do 15-20 minutes, so I supplement it with other cardio. Hope that helps!
  • Ah. The erg machine. It's popularity is truely growing in the weightloss world.
    My take: You use it right and it's torture.

I'm on the crew team. We work out on the ergs (the rowing machine you speak of, the true name is "ergometer") usually 3-4 days a week. It depends on the workout you do if it's cardio or strength training or both.

And... to scenestealer: Yes, it's good for your arms too, but it's really supposed to work the legs more than anything else, especially in women.
  • Hmm, I never really feel it in my legs... just in my upper back. Am I doing something wrong?
  • I felt it mostly in my legs. Scenestealer- maybe you already have really strong legs? I personally really enjoyed using the "erg". It was a nice change, and I felt like it gave me a good workout.
  • I loved it when my OLD gym had one, but the new gym doesnt.....grrrrr
  • I like to hop on it from time to time for a quick 2000m dash - usually count it towards my cardio, but I also feel my arm, leg and core muscles doing some nice work.
  • I do have strong legs, but they're not like scary strong. However, I also make an effort to use my arms/back more than my legs, so maybe that's why.
  • I used to use it at the end of my weight workout or a little bit of HIIT. I would 2-4 250m or 500m rows trying to always beat my best time. It was HARD but I loved getting it done & then I would move on for some steady state cardio to finish up. My gym doesn't have one & I miss it dearly!