Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone have luck with the Gazelle?

I got one for $30 off Craigs List. It's fun, and I like it but sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting my time. I've had it for 3 weeks, using it about 5x a week. I FEEL better, but I don't know if it's really burning any fat (I wasn't eating right, but I am now). I don't really get out of breath and I'm never sore (although I do warm up/cool down/stretch).

I have a 13 m/o so I need a way to work out at home. Couln't afford a treadmill. I also have WATP on DVD, but I like listening to my MP3 player while I work out. Music is a HUGE motivator for me.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I also got my Gazelle off of craiglist and I LOVE IT!! I really feel that I am working out pretty good on it. I also went to Tony Little's site and ordered the 3 DVD's that he has in the set and they really help you with what you can do on it. I bought the power plus one and right now I have it on no resistance but plan to push it up to the first level next week. Good luck!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #3  
Meg

Zep, we have a member named Boiaby who lost more than 190 pounds with her Gazelle. She hasn't posted for a while but I can remember that she was a devoted Gazelle fan. So it absolutely works! And you got a great bargain!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #4  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

"You can do it!" lol I had to!

My neighbor has it and she absolutely loves it! Good luck!
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Zep, we have a member named Boiaby who lost more than 190 pounds with her Gazelle. She hasn't posted for a while but I can remember that she was a devoted Gazelle fan. So it absolutely works! And you got a great bargain!

Too bad I did not know this earlier. I have had the Gazelle for a couple of years but it mostly collected dusts (which, of course, is not the Gazelle's fault ).
Somehow, I could not motivate myself to get on it. I still have it, but I got a treadmill a month ago (maybe I could have saved myself eleven hundred dollars ?) and I am actually using it. Maybe I should use the gazelle here and there as I would get a better workout for my arms. At least it is easier to pull it up (I would not want to do that with a treadmill on a regular basis).

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I had one a couple of years ago and had wonderful results. I loved it! I used it 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week and on other days did other things, but I felt like I got a really good workout on it. I lost 12 lbs (I've since gained it back ). I sold it to my neightbor because we ran out of room for it, and she lost 20 lbs in 2 months.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

my mom loves her gazelle. She does it an hour every night watching tv. I wouldn't say she works up a sweat but she does get her heart going and she did lose some weight. Most of all, it has helped me gain quite a bit of energy and also she says that she hasn't used pain meds in quite a while which she attributes to her gazelle usage.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #8  
diamondgeog

It is a pretty darn good piece of exercise equipment especially for the money. It has helped me lose weight and get more energy. In the long run though I think it has some limitations. Unless you get the top-line it doesn't have variable resistence and it is difficult but not impossible to get an intense cardio workout.

So I do think it is worth every penny. My wife and I are 'upgrading' to an elliptical since we seemed to be 'plateauing' on the gazelle. It has a dozen or more built in programs and 8 resistence levels. Ellipticals btw are suppose to be one of the best workouts around. You can burn 700-800 calories on one in an hour. We will see, but very excited about it.

But good ellipticals and treadmills cost much more than a gazelle. So it definetly has a place until or unless you want to move to a much more expensive 'upgrade'.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I recently did a lot of research about ellipticals and similar machines. I think there's a lot to be said for a good sturdy piece of exercise equipment, but they cost $$$ and take up lots of space, things many people are short of . I've read lots of negative reviews about the Gazelle, but they're mostly about a tendency to get noisy and from people expecting elliptical features. Even at full price, it's not a bad investment if it gets you moving and gets you in the exercise habit. For $30, it's a great buy!

They definitely work - you have to move the pedals back and forth and that takes energy, which comes from you. They're not as intensive as a treadmill or an elliptical, but they make you move and that's what counts.

I would not expect a Gazelle to last for years, and I would expect that one would outgrow it at some point (need something more intensive). But other than that, they're pretty good for what they cost.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #10  

Thanks for the replies. It's the only workout I haven't dreaded doing every day. I can kind of feel it in my lower abs when I really get going, so that is appealing. I'm wondering if I can just attach hand weights to the bars when it gets to easy to add resistance, lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #11  

Hi, I bought the Power Plus Gazelle off of craigslist and it has the resistance you can set. I really love it. I just paid $75 for mine and it was just like new! At Walmart I think they are selling for around $300. I've also thought of adding hand weights while on it. Guess we just need to try it and see how it works. Glad that you are enjoying yours too.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #12  
diamondgeog

I will report back on the 418 Schwinn elliptical which was rated a consumer best buy the last few years. For the month of April it is $499 with free shipping from Amazon.

It is shipping today or tomorrow from Dallas so should be here in the Austin area next week. It is suppose to take 2-3 hours to put together but me and my wife are pretty handy on these things. Well she is.

Will let people know before the March deal is up how it was to put together and my impressions (will have to be new first impressions) of the differences with the gazelle. BTW our gazelle footpad, one of them, has 'cracked' slightly. And it is a bit noisy, not overwhelmingly so though. When we first got it we tried WD40 a lot on it but after a minute or two it would just squeak again.

For us though not only has it helped our fitness but it 'proved' to us that we could use a piece of exercise equipment every day before spending more money. The more I hear about ellipticals though the more and more I like them. Because there is a running and a stair climbing motion they are working almost every muscle in your upper and lower leg. The gazelle is just back and forth back and forth. The gazelle does do a lot of good...but we will see if for us the elliptical does even more good.

For $30 though, great deal, no-brainer to get it.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Hi, I bought the Power Plus Gazelle off of craigslist and it has the resistance you can set. I really love it. I just paid $75 for mine and it was just like new! At Walmart I think they are selling for around $300. I've also thought of adding hand weights while on it. Guess we just need to try it and see how it works. Glad that you are enjoying yours too.
They had one on craigslist here, too. I went for the cheapy. Does the resistance levels work pretty good?

Diamond: I've looked at ellipticals, too. They seem to take up a lot of room, although I bet they're an excellent workout! I had to go for the cheapy though, there were no ellipticals on craigslist when I looked (which is a good thing)! When I get a bigger place I wouldn't mind owning one. I hope yours workouts out for you.

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 03-06-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I bought a gazelle at a garage sale - best money I could have spent. It was low impact and let me set my own pace so it helped me strenghten my lower back which has always been my excuse for not exercising. Mine didn`t get loud, but I have loaned it to my mom since I was also able to get an elliptical at a garage sale (which did get loud!) I love my elliptical, but I could not have done it without using my gazelle first. My mom also loves it. She is partially paralyzed in one leg, and due to a fall has limited mobility in one arm - but this is a cardio exercise she can do. It has also helped her get some mobility back, which is huge for her!

Well, hope it all goes well - the best thing about any equipment is being able to use it and stick with it!
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #15  

On the first level of resistance it is a pretty good workout. On the next level I can hardly move it! So I would say yes it is really worth it to have the resistance levels. When I first got it it was on the first level and I could barely do 15 minutes..... But I have been doing 45 minutes daily with no resistance and loving it!