3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   weighted walk vest? anyone use one? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/135932-weighted-walk-vest-anyone-use-one.html)

walking2lose 03-02-2008 12:09 PM

weighted walk vest? anyone use one?

Hi there,

Does anyone have and use Debbie Rocker's walk vest? They look interesting, and I'm considering making it my spring work out purchase. I looked on her site - 49.95 plus 14.95 tax - not cheap, but if worthwhile, I'm going to get one. They do have several on ebay; however, on ebay they ar 99.95!!! How odd that they are double the price on ebay!

Wonder if there are any different brands that are good too?

If you use one, or are considering one, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

walking2lose 03-02-2008 12:11 PM

I forgot to mention that on her site, it says every size is backordered. Maybe that's how ebay sellers are getting away with doubling the price.

Maybe they carry them at sports authority or somewhere like that? I might need to shop around...

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this item...thanks :-)

Cheree 03-02-2008 02:57 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I did look closely at the weight vest when I saw Valerie Bertinelli wearing it on Oprah (I think it was her appearance on Oprah). I wonder if the hard core eBayers figured out it would probably be a hot item so they bought a bunch of them to be able to sell on eBay (in addition to a lot of non eBayers who probably bought them too). :mad:

Meg 03-02-2008 03:06 PM

When you wear a weighted vest to walk or run, you're adding a lot of stress to your joints for not much in the way of an increased calorie burn. Every additional pound that we carry adds FOUR pounds of stress to our hips, knees, feet, and ankles (which is why weight loss is so beneficial to those of us with joint issues!) If you have any problems with your joints, you might want to reconsider the vest. Increasing exercise intensity instead of increasing bodyweight can boost your calorie burn without damaging your knees, hips, or ankles. :)

scandalouschicky 03-02-2008 03:33 PM

Well... if you have joint issues you probably don't want to get one but they carry one at Wal-Mart...

If you go to Wal-Mart's web page and search weighted walk vest there's a 10 and 20lb model that pop up -I'd link directly but I haven't posted enough.
I'm still such a lurker! :D

walking2lose 03-02-2008 09:20 PM

Meg - I had not thought about that... thanks for sharing.

Scenestealer 03-03-2008 09:40 AM

Someone posted in another thread that you can get a cheap vest with lots of pockets, and just add heavy things into the pockets. Bags of beans, etc. I've never tried it, but it sounded like a good idea.