Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #1  
Carb fiend!

S/C/G: 246/232/140

Height: 5'8"

Default When is lots of exercise too much exercise?

Hey, I've just been typing up a table that i can put stickers in for my various activities and exercises. Looking at it i won't have a rest day as there is so much i'd want to fit in. I have 2 days at the gym where i do about 25/30 minutes of cardio on various machines and then some weights (program made my personal trainer) then i want to do the C25K which would be another 3 days. I have timetables games on a wednesday afternoon for 2 hours then a 45 minute riding lesson in the evening. So that makes up 6 days. I also bought the pump it up dance workout DVD which i'd want to do once a week! Is doing exercise 7 days a week a good thing? I'm not going to be totally wreckless and do the hardest intensities but start slow then build up. Could not having a rest day be detrimental to my weight loss?
Thanks
FakeFrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I take sundays off from exercise. I work out with weights for 20 m-w-f and then jump on a minitramp for 20 t-thr. I am still working up my endurance. When the weather is nice I plan on walking also outside.
I feel like my body needs the day off.
good luck and go slow
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's too much physically, as long as you're not doing the same exercise/same muscles groups every single day without rest. I'd probably do a crash and burn trying to jump into that much activity if most of it is new, but if you've been doing most of that and are just adding in the running program, you'll probably be fine, or you might do fine anyway, since you're not me, lol.

If it does seem too much, one thing you could do is put a couple of the C25K workouts in at the gym alongside your weight training days: like warm up walking, and/or 10 mins of your run/walk intervals, then do the weights, then do the rest of your C25K workout and cool down. When you get into the longer jog/run intervals, then you might just do that on days you're not working your lower body with the weights, and maybe just warm up with a walk or slow jog, then weights, then your long run, and cool down walk...I'm not sure on that, but you could ask on the weight lifting forum to be sure. I'm still learning about weight lifting and may have confused the facts there.

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I don't think what you're mentioning is too much. Exercise every day is great for you, but I wouldn't say that working out more than 5 days a week will increase your weight loss, but like I said, everyday exercise is great for your overall health. As long as you don't run 20miles a day then lift weights for 2 hours. If your body gets too tired then you know to take it down a notch, just listen to yourself and I bet you'll be fine.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #5  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I'm just gonna say that I have been downloading and listening to Jillian Michaels (trainer from the biggest loser) radio shows and listening to them at work, and I have listened to probably a dozen shows so far, and almost in every show someone calls in and talks about working out every single day of the week, and Jillian says that is not a good thing. She says you have to have at least one day of rest and 2 is even better. She said that working out every day might seem like a good thing because you are burning more calories, but that our muscles need a break once or twice a week for just complete rest, even if you are working different muscle groups every day. I'm sure a leisurely stroll around your neighborhood would be ok, just not anything more intense than a slow walk with the dog or something.

I personally think a rest day is a good idea - it will give your muscles a chance to recooperate from all of the hard work you are putting in all of the other days.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I was just gonna do a thread asking this same question. I workout m,w,f cardio intervals on the TM (sometimes I'll sub a cardio dvd for one TM w/o) and do strength stuff (a variety of things -- wts, stability ball, exercise bands, body wt circuits, etc. ) t, th, s. I'll do a yoga or pilates dvd after the cardio stuff once or twice a week or sometimes after the strength stuff. I've been OP about 80 - 85% of the time the past two weeks and I cannot get the scale to budge. No, no inch loss either. I was wondering if I needed two days of rest instead of one? I'd be happy to forgo the Saturday w/o. I'm definitely burning more than I'm eating and am really getting discouraged and ticked off that nothing seems to be happening. Any ideas?
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #7  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi Hat Trick,

Just the usual question - are you getting enough calories? Nine times out of 10 bumping up calories or calorie cycling helps get the scale moving in the right direction.

Cheers!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

There's nothing wrong with doing something active everyday. Personally, I do one day of stretching and one day of yoga in addition to the other days of heavy weight lifting and cardio. You can do something on your 'rest day' just make sure it's low-impact and geared towards recovery (such as stretching).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #9  
No surrender, no retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhljeanie View Post
Hi Hat Trick,

Just the usual question - are you getting enough calories? Nine times out of 10 bumping up calories or calorie cycling helps get the scale moving in the right direction.

Cheers!

Yup, I'm averaging 1500-1600 cals/day. I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't lost anything other than the initial 3 lbs -- and I know some of that was water wt cause I started this just at TOM started.

Maybe I'll change out Sats. strength w/o for just yoga or pilates and see if that helps. <sigh> I'm just so frustrated cause I'm working so hard at this and I really don't feel like anything is happening.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #10  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

I usually take 1 to 2 days off a week. It helps my sore muscles revive themselves and then I run my next weeks cycle. I do 60 minutes of intense cardio m, w, f and resistance training on t, th ... although sometimes I take thursday off and do it saturday to break up the weeks a little bit but ingeneral I usually leave the weekend to rest, but I still do go for a nice long stroll on sat and sun with my dog but I really don't consider that work, hehe he loves it!
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Hat Trick - how long have you been doing this. It took me a little longer than 6 weeks of really hard, consistent workouts before the weight started. So keep at it - if you're doing the right things it will come. Also, I wouldn't drop the weightlifting for yoga. Weightlifting will build muscle which in turn will up your metabolism - much better in the long run for weightloss & the way you look.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #12  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Some other sly culprits can be stress and fatigue - both wreak havoc on your body's ability to drop. Also, how long have you been at it?
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally strive to do some form of exercise every day. I think it is better for you and I think it makes me feel better.

As for exercising/dieting and not losing weight, the year before last I went for 3 months of exercising and eating right without dropping a pound. Nothing changed, same diet, same exercise and then woosh I started dropping weight like crazy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I also exercise every day. If I take one rest day, soon it will be two rest days, then three rest days, then seven rest days... If I exercise every day, I never have to debate whether or not today is my rest day, or whether I'll just take two rest days this week and none next week. There are no rest days.

I do try to mix it up--weight training three days a week; intervals, cardio and abs a couple of days; swimming; endurance run; spinning; a cardio class at my gym--so that I am always doing something different and some days are easier than others.

As for exercising and not losing weight--you may still be losing body fat and inches. My sister started an exercise program a year ago, wearing a size ten. She did not change her diet but she exercised 3 to 4 times a week all year, a combination of cardio and weight training. She didn't lose a pound. But who cares because now she wears a size 4, sometimes even a size 2, and she looks FANTASTIC, completely thin and toned! If you could wear a size 4, would you care what the scale says? Take some body measurements and figure out your body fat %. The scale is fickle and misleading so it's good to have some other way to track your progress.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #15  
No surrender, no retreat

I've posted so much in here that I forgot to come back to this thread! I finally dropped 1 lb but in checking my measurements, I've lost an inch off my bust, waist and hips in the past 2 wks. Oh yeah, I'll take that anytime. I'm not scale obsessive at all but at my ht., my wt is just too, too much and I really needed to see a drop.

I'm still doing 6 days/wk but I'm thinking about upping the cardio to 4 days instead of 3, doing TM intervals (they are great btw) 2 days, 1 day steady state and one day something else. Wts (free wts, stability ball w/wts (OMG -- try this!) and tubes 2 days/wk and fitting in yoga and pilates (don't underestimate these -- they make you flexible, work the muscles differently than w/wts and you feel great to boot!)

Still have quite a ways to go but for the first time today, I no longer feel like a puffer fish.