exercises to do at your desk/work?

• I'm brainstorming various exercises that I can do while sitting or standing around at work. I work in a lab, so half of the time I'm sitting at a computer and the other half I'm standing up doing experiments. So far I've thought about doing butt clenches and ankle rotations while seated, and standing up on my toes. Does anyone here do covert exercises at work? Anyone ever get caught ("What are you doing with your BUTT??") ?
  • We "shoot the loop". Instead of just walking to the restroom and back, we continue on and make a loop of the whole floor.
  • Isometrics?
  • This is a great thread. I am hoping for lots of suggestions. I do 'desk pushups'. My hands are on a desk so they are not full pushups but I can still feel them. I also turn and face away from the desk put my hands on it and do squats. This helps legs and triceps.

I am also starting to do the 'windmill' things we probably all did in gym class to get warmed up. Keeps the circulation going. I am also stretching more, which literally takes half a minute or less.

I have moved beyond the 'getting caught'. Everyone day dreams or fitters away time here or there. If you are productive, taking a few spare moments throughout the day to stay healthy is probably, from an employers point of view, the best use of time possible. And good for you as well.
  • What's the windmill thing? Haha I must not have been paying enough attention in gym class, no wonder I never lost the baby fat.
  • Just holding out your arms and moving them in circles. Can go forward and backward. I can do them 2 minutes plus now at least forward. When I started I could not even do 30 seconds.
  • Try replacing your desk chair with an exercise ball.
  • There are certain steppers you can get that are small and made to fit under a desk so you can be working your legs while you do work. It's supposed to work well if your desk is covered so no one can see your feet.
  • Sit on an exercise ball when you're working at the computer, it works your core...
  • Denise Austin has tips in her book on losing the last 10 lbs, she calls it fidgetizing, constantly moving as much as you can, even while working. Pacing around while on the phone. Sitting against a wall while on the phone. Stretching. Getting up and walking. Running up stairs. You name it... she says to come up with at least 5 per day, even when brushing your teeth, cooking, etc and you'll burn hundreds more calories. You might find that book at your library it really does have some great ideas in it, I'm going to make note of them at my desk - and come up with my own some I'm moving more throughout the day rather then sitting at a desk getting fat.
  • Luckily I'm the only one in my office and its not often the guys in the shop come into my office but I keep the tunes cranked up and jam at my desk or get up and groove to a good song that comes on, I also get up and stretch or do a few moves off turbojam and since i drink a ton of water i run tot he bathroom about every hour or so. I keep a 5lb weight under my desk and squeeze in about 3 sets of 10 or 12 reps of curls a couple times of day. I'm going to look into the bike thing for under the desk I'm a leg shaker as it is
  • Quote: Denise Austin has tips in her book on losing the last 10 lbs, she calls it fidgetizing, constantly moving as much as you can, even while working. Pacing around while on the phone. Sitting against a wall while on the phone. Stretching. Getting up and walking. Running up stairs. You name it... she says to come up with at least 5 per day, even when brushing your teeth, cooking, etc and you'll burn hundreds more calories. You might find that book at your library it really does have some great ideas in it, I'm going to make note of them at my desk - and come up with my own some I'm moving more throughout the day rather then sitting at a desk getting fat.
    I love Denise Austin! Great tips! Thanks!