Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #1  
GG

Question What Is In Your Home Gym?

Hi all I just bought a tredmill, but I am looking for another piece of equipment to go with it. I have two little boys and I teach 2nd grade so I have to go the at home exercise route. I have not exercised in years and I am scared to death. That is why I want two pieces of equipment for variety. I spent 600.00 on the tredmill so I am not sure how much I want to spend on the second. Thank you for helping me.

I have a Pro Form 615 trainer from Sears
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I have and love my treadmill - couldn't live without it! I also have a 3-station home gym for strength training, and hubby has weights... we're going out to get some free weights for me today! I also have a big ball, but it doesn't get much use, to be honest!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're very smart to provide yourself with variety. I too like to mix things up. I'd get bored stiff if I only had one choice of exercise.

My ball is pretty negected too. Although it was cheap and was fun for a while.

My best bet? Dumbells! Little ones only cost a couple of dollars. You can play around with them and as you get stronger, buy heavier ones.
People like bands too. There's a thread around here somewhere ...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96976

And there's a site I like
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=3
She has advice for those with no equipment, some or lots! And she's a riot!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #4  
Token Vulcan

I neglected my ball, too, so I ended up deflating it. I have the Total Body Trainer by Jake, an inflatable punching bag, and I bought some things from Leslie Sansone's site--the 2lb hand weights, walk away belt, lex loop and stretchie. I like the belt the least. The punching bag I got for about $21 at drugstore.com.

Sometimes the only equipment I use is my stereo.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have an elliptical (life fitness x5i), a set of dumbbells ranging from 5-25 lbs, an adjustable dumbbell with plates (I think it can go to 50 lbs), a set of resistance bands, a (deflated) ball, an adjustable step, an adjustable weight bench, kettlebells ranging from 10-35 lbs and most important, a TV (and dvd player)

I'd like to add a bosu at some point but not sure when. I think I rather have more kettebells since that is mostly what I'm using these days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Gazelle, resistance bands, stretchies, dumbbells, walk-away belt (WATP), yoga blocks, strap & mat, a Body Solid 3 station weight machine, and a boatload of videos to walk me through routines using all of the above.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I too have a treadmill but don't use it a lot, I think because it's kind of small for my long stride. I also have a spinning bike, an adjustable step (my favorite item), 2, 3, 5, 8 & 10lb hand weights, ankle and wrist weights, bands & about 30 videos. I do have a weight bench but don't have anywhere right now to put it! Maybe someday I'll figure that one out or I'll have to get rid of it.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I have a neglected Weighted Hula hoop(5 lbs), a very much used resistance ball, girls, it's wonderful for ab work! Air them balls up! 2 and 5 lb weights, an adjustable step aerobics bench, and LOTS of work out tapes and DVD's.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well I haven't had a lot of money to put into a home gym, so I go with what is affordable. I managed to pick up a stair stepper for $25 at a yard sale. It's a "Tri-Stepper". Gives a very good workout on the legs. I also have a $50 Strider from Wal*Mart. It's kinda like a 1 foot tall quasi elliptical. I have something similar to a Gazelle that my mom didn't use and passed on to me, and the rest is all small stuff like hand weights, videos, exercise ball, step for aerobics, hoola hoop, and leg weights.

One piece of outdoors equipment I did invest good money in...a jogging stroller. I have a little one myself (2 yo). You can get double joggers. Take the kids to the park and get in some running while they sit back and take in the scenery.

As for the treadmill. I'd love one. But for now, I'm content in the winter to simply run in a figure eight pattern from one corner of my livingroom to the other. LOL It works for me.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #10  
diamondgeog

Gazelle, urban rebounder (insanely hard cardio workout IMHO but I hope to use it more as I get more fit), dumbells, exercise big ball, various exercise bands.

I had this nifty little piece of exercise equipment called a bullworker which I loved. Great for resistance workouts. But I have not been able to find it lately.

Oh and also my body. One of the 'advantages' of being the weight I am is that pushups are a very good workout. Pumping a lot of 'iron' there.