Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Elliptical Junkies

This is so counteracting on my previous posts..

This is my 2nd week of working out. I think I am absolutely hooked on this machine!! Today wasn't even a cardio day for me, it's my weight lifting day. I am so glad I got on the elliptical today. I was able to stay on it for my longest time yet!!

Here is my progress so far on the elliptical :
1/28 5 mins
1/29 8 mins
2/4 14 mins
2/5 20 mins!!!!

I am almost done with the 30min program that's built in. I am so proud of myself! I planned to do cardio only 3 days a week, but I am excited to see what the results of 5 days a week may be. I just put a towel over the timer and close my eyes and go.

Who else is hooked on this machine???
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #2  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

I love my elliptical!! I only workout on it 2 times a week for 30 mins. I also do TBL Cardio Max 2 times a week. It's a great machine and it's soo easy on the joints.
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #3  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

I tend to alternate 20 min. and 40 minute days and take a break from it one day a week. Not counting my strength training and the running with the dog.

I started really noticing calf muscles of awesome after about 2 weeks. It definitely makes me put on the high heels more.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

We just got one two and a half weeks ago and I'm hooked. My first day I managed 12 minutes, and I went up from there. We use it every day! The past two days I did an hour each

DH is doing less time than me because he has less free time, but he's really upped the resistance.

Today was the first day we didn't do it, because we had to go out and run a bazillion errands, and we have company coming over this evening so there's just no time. I really miss it, but I probably burned more calories running around all day on icy sidewalks and lugging home a bunch of stuff.

I don't know why it's so much fun - you just stand there and pedaling away, but with some music going, it's almost as if you're dancing. Maybe that's it - I've always loved dancing...

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'm hooked too. My girls are sick today so I couldn't do my regular gym trip and instead did a 55 min cardio video and a 30 min pilates video. I just called Dh and told him that as soon as he gets home I'm outta here for the gym...really the elliptical! Working out at home to dvd's just isn't my thing.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #6  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I wish I had the exuberance you guys do!! I've mostly just done the treadmill, but tried the elliptical - and it just kills my knees and upper thighs. I mean, I have pretty slender/muscular legs, but - maybe it's because I'm new to it. Was it hard at first? Did anyone else have to kind of get your body used to it? I know that it's really a great machine - I just don't know if I can get there!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisluv View Post
I wish I had the exuberance you guys do!! I've mostly just done the treadmill, but tried the elliptical - and it just kills my knees and upper thighs. I mean, I have pretty slender/muscular legs, but - maybe it's because I'm new to it. Was it hard at first? Did anyone else have to kind of get your body used to it? I know that it's really a great machine - I just don't know if I can get there!
My first couple of days on it were very hard on my knees and hips, but I have mild arthritis in those joints. Once I worked the kinks out it's been great - no joint pains. I did find that my leg muscles were screaming to stop at about the two minute mark for the first week and a bit, but I just ignored them and they stopped complaining after another half a minute. It's not that it's easy - I'm definitely out of 'go go go' by the end of my session, but during the time I'm on it, I feel like I'm half dancing and half flying. It's the only exercise I've loved doing, other than swimming.

I think it's likely that different people have bodies suited to different activities - maybe elliptical junkies have a particular body type? I'm tallish, but I'm all legs. When I stand next to my 6'2" father, my waist is even with his.

BP
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I love the elliptical. Like Sneeks, I just put on the music, close my eyes, and go. It's amazing how quickly 20 mins or 30 mins can pass.

When I first started doing it, it really got me in my upper thighs especially. Even now, the first 10 mins is a push, but once I get past those 10 mins, I'm golden.

I do try to mix it up with the treadmill (which I'm not so fond of) and changing up the intensity and so forth.

But yeah, I'm addicted. I'm currently doing 45 mins a day on the elliptical and weights on every other day.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #9  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Quote:
I wish I had the exuberance you guys do!! I've mostly just done the treadmill, but tried the elliptical - and it just kills my knees and upper thighs. I mean, I have pretty slender/muscular legs, but - maybe it's because I'm new to it.
In my experience, the machine itself can make a HUGE difference. When we were looking to buy one, I tried out several at different stores. The cheapie at Shopko made my knees hurt within seconds. When I tried better quality machines, they didn't hurt at all. I ended up with a mid-range one, and I love it.

Even if you use an expensive elliptical (are you doing this at a gym?), it could just be that the size or motion of that particular machine just isn't suited well to your body. So it's probably not your fault! Although, of course, with any new exercise, it shocks our body at first.
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 207/202.5/145

Height: 5'5

I'm the same way. I love THAT thing! I try to go to the gym everyday (I really have to push myself to the limit). But I just bring my mp3 player along and work away. I do the quick start which goes in 20 minute increments. I'll do the elliptical trainer for 20 minutes, stretch, 20 minutes on the bike, stretch, and another 20 minutes on the bike. And usually do a lil weight trainin. BUT I'm not seeing any resultS. . I really wanna bump it up a notch a lil more cardio and weight traing. I'm usually at the gym for about 3 hours. I think I need to change my eating habits. Any suggestions? I am reading the 3 hour diet by Jorge Cruise.
nharden1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisluv View Post
it just kills my knees and upper thighs.
Another thought on this - maybe you aren't using a stride that is best for your legs? Noob that I am, I may be completely off base in this guess Our elliptical has an adjustable stride - you can set it for 14", 16" or 18". We tried it on all of them and settled for the 18" stride. As I mentioned earlier, I'm all legs, and my DH is similar, we obviously need to use the longer stride. But I notice that many of the higher end ones and the ones in gyms have a long stride too (some are 20") - maybe you need a shorter stride?

BP
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharden1984 View Post
I'm the same way. I love THAT thing! I try to go to the gym everyday (I really have to push myself to the limit). But I just bring my mp3 player along and work away. I do the quick start which goes in 20 minute increments. I'll do the elliptical trainer for 20 minutes, stretch, 20 minutes on the bike, stretch, and another 20 minutes on the bike. And usually do a lil weight trainin. BUT I'm not seeing any resultS. . I really wanna bump it up a notch a lil more cardio and weight traing. I'm usually at the gym for about 3 hours. I think I need to change my eating habits. Any suggestions? I am reading the 3 hour diet by Jorge Cruise.
Are you eating more? I have noticed that I'm a lot hungrier since I got serious about losing this weight and started exercising more, and I'm *really* tempted to eat a bit more. The fat side of my brain is saying, "you just burned lots of calories on the elliptical, you can eat a second helping of that tasty pasta." The skinny side of my brain isn't very assertive yet, but it's getting better at reminding me that the whole point of exercising isn't so that I can eat more, it's so that I can lose weight and that isn't going to happen if I give in.

I have noticed that it's getting easier to shut the fat side up if I have a little thing to look forward to. This weekend I'm having people over for dinner and I'm making chocolate mousse for dessert, and I'm going to have some!!!!!!

BP
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #13  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

THanks for the suggestions everyone!! Yes, I'm going to the gym for this -- and there appear to be 3 or 4 different "brands/types" of elliptical machines, but everyone looks about the same doing them. I haven't noticed the stride settings, so I'll check that out...and I will just keep pushing myself, because it does look like fun, and obviously, it works for you guys!! Thanks again for the help!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #14  
Size 10 or BUST!!

S/C/G: 266/261.5/150

Height: 5' 10"

I am so Hooked on this machine!! I started out doing 30 minutes at
incline of 4-10 and resistance of 8 and now Im doing 45 minutes at incline of 4-10 and resistance of 10. Talk about making you tired!! I lost 1 1/2 inches off my thighs in 8 days....Awesome! And this is only my 3rd week!! Woohoo!!
tired of the size 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

Height: 5'3"

I have just gotten past the stage of burning legs while i on the elliptical..its still tough but at least i know im doing something. I think its time to up the level..lol
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote