Exercising: Military Wife and Mother

• I am wondering if there are any military wives out there that also have young children. I ask this because I am a military wife with a son that will be 2 next month and my husband is leaving next month for an underway period. Right now, I work out at my gym here in my complex while my husband babysits our son, but I am not sure how I am going to confine a 2 year old for a hour while I work out. I was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas for me?
  • Hi! My husband is Air Force. We have a six year old, a three year old, and a one year old.

My best friend - when Tom is away or unavailable to watch the kids while I exercise - is DVDs. I did The Firm series with the two steps for years because I couldn't get to the gym with the kids and him working strange hours. It was wonderful! I would get up early and do it before the kids got up, so they wouldn't be underfoot. Now that they're a little older, I can exercise at home with them. They love to do Walk Away the Pounds with me! "Hey Mom, are we going to walk away the pounds today?!"

The other suggestion I'd have for you is to find an exercise buddy with kids and you guys could trade kid-watching during each others' exercise sessions.

Good luck!

Kara
  • Ah...
    I am another military wife (Go Navy!), with 3 small children. They are a bit older now and almost all in school (just one more to go) but last deployment I had both my little ones home with me. The trading with a buddy suggestion is awesome, or if you can afford it find a local gym with daycare. I actually found one last sea duty that was only $35 a month, and the daycare was available everyday but sunday. It was a lifesaver for me. If not, I agree with Kara, get some good dvds. There are also quite a few exercises out there that you can use your little one as your weights and he'll think it's great fun playing with mommy. My kids still like to make me do leg lifts with them as weights and stuff.

Good luck, and nice to see more military wives around here. We are facing our first deployment in 3 years and it's going to be a doozy, my husband will be doing an IA in Iraq for a year to 15 months.

Dee
  • I'm an Army wife with a hubby who is basically never around thanks to deployments. Our last duty station I joined the YMCA in town for $30/month and it had free childcare. This duty station has a gym on post with free child care, so I don't have to pay this time around. But the $30/month was definately worth it. I also bought a lot of at-home stuff for extra workouts or if my kiddos are sick and can't go to the gym with me so I have no excuses.
  • When my dh was deployed I traded care with other Navy spouses. It was a win-win situation.
  • I'm a Marines wife. While my husband was deployed I got a membership to the YMCA & it included childcare for free! Up to 2 hours a day! It was such a lifesaver. The one here offered 6 free months to spouses of deployed military members also, so it was free for 6 months. You should check into the one by you [if you have one] and see what they offer!

You could also find another mom and trade childcare.

Or workout at home after your children go to bed.

Or find a babysitter.

Just a few ideas that popped into my head.
  • Hi, I am an Army wife. The gym I go to is like a parent room. There is exercising equipment, and then there is a a play area. While you work out your children can go in there. You can see and hear everything they are doing. It works out great!!
  • Does your base gym offer child care? I know in Hawaii, our base gym offered child care for $2 or $3 an hour or something like that. Which when you're getting a free gym membership, is a really good deal.