Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Question Nordic Walking - Does anyone do this?

Anyone? I'm really curious but not yet curious enough to risk the wrath of DH by asking for $70 poles!
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Yes. And I really enjoy it! We use our poles for hiking as well. They work GREAT! There are several ski walkers in our town that use their poles, so it is becoming common. While we were hiking in Yosemite over Christmas, several people commented that they wished they had poles.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, I have been doing NORDIC OR SKI-WALKING for two years now; and I love it too; and as COUNTING says, they are great for hiking as well (very popular in Europe). The poles give me balance and strength so that I can walk much better in snow and sand (I have Spina Bifida and the related weak back issues; spine not closed).

$$$ ~ And you don't have to pay a fortune for good poles either; I got two pairs like new from our local second-hand shop during the winter season for only a buck a pair (got some for both Dh and myself). You can try goodwill, the Salvation Army, eBay, second-hand shops, or check out your local classifieds or run an ad: many people have them sitting around in their attics or basements collecting dust; and the money you will save will more than pay for the ad many times over.

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
SkiWalking

S/C/G: 200/190/180

Default YES - Nordic Ski Walking Is The Real Deal!

Over 6 million Europeans are walking with poles everyday - in the cities, in the country and in the mountains! The Europeans picked up on this great outdoor exercise that burns more calories than regular walking and makes walking more effective.

I have had students drop over 100 pounds - thanks to improved diet, swimming and Nordic Ski Walking! It really works.

Be sure to use the correct length poles and proper Nordic Ski Walking technique. Perfect length poles help us to automatically walk with a super straight back - better walking posture is biomechanically a good thing. This improved walking posture when combined with the unique 4-Wheel-Drive type action of walking with poles radically reduces the stress to the shins, knees, hips and back. Nordic Walking is low impact and yet provides a highly effective workout - burning more calories and working more muscle groups than regular walking.

We are all supposed to walk for at least a 1/2 hour a day - why not bring some poles along, burn more calories and reduce the pounding to the weight bearing joints.

Even folks with MS, Parkensin's and Neuropathy have found huge success with Nordic Ski Walking - they hate their canes and walkers, but LOVE their poles.

Avoid twist-locking adjustable poles that can collapse unexpectedly and look for quality one-piece poles from SWIX or EXEL - both companies include real Nordic Ski Walking straps with their Nordic Ski Walking Poles.

Have FUN Nordic Ski Walking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOPS Ski Walking Clinic - Kings Court.jpg (44.7 KB, 12 views)
SkiWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've actually heard and read many things for and against using poles while hiking. In my own personal experience, I found that my own balance has improved greatly by hiking without poles. I used to have really poor balance. I understand if people have real difficulty walking for various reasons using poles but I would also consider not using them all the time in terms of cross training, if you don't need them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #6  

If you want to try Nordic ski walking without spending lots of money for the poles, I bought some through the Harriet Carter catalog, Item No. E6199, price: 2 for $18.50. I saw the same poles in another catalog for $16 each. For now these walking sticks work well for me. They are the adjustable poles but I'm walking around my neighborhood and am not putting a lot of stress on the poles where there may be a chance of them collapsing. In the future I will likely buy the fancier, more expensive sticks. Check around.
cmakela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I'd say go for it! I personally don't use them because when I walk I'm the majority of the time pushing a stroller. They are a big deal in Germany, I see a lot of people using them not only in hiking in the alps, but also in the suburbs! From what I've heard it makes it easier on the joints, and it can't hurt to try, especially at the price cmakela quoted!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote