Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Default Small Houses

I have limited mobility into town to access gyms or fitness classes.

I also live in the UK, where the weather can be a pain in the bum to the extent where it rains almost 85% of a given week.

I have a small house as well, so trying to find a decent form of exercise that is low impact is very hard for me.

I was just wondering, given my situation, can anybody offer me some suggestions? I was thinking an Elliptical might be the right way to go, but measuring up, they're too long for me to have in my dinky home.

I think the smallest I've found is 100cm long, but at £199 ($400) its out of budget for me.

Any thoughts?
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

We have a gazelle and my hubby and son love it. It does not take up much space and it's low impact. Hope that helps!
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I have a folding treadmill. Love it!
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

What about a mini trampoline? I live in a tiny house too and this is the best choice for me at this time.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #5  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, and there are some good exercise videos that you can do with very little space.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #6  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

I too have a folding treadmill... which is currently squeezed into my bedroom as we live in a small 3 bedroom house on base with 3 kids and an 80 lb dog. I actually have to close the bedroom door and lock it to be able to unfold the treadmill... I love it though.

Last edited by NavyWifeDee; 01-26-2008 at 09:26 PM.
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have quite a few options for when space has been an issue. We have a larger home now though and I've added some larger equipment. But I still use all of it. One is a simple step and hand weights and I will do some low impact step aerobics while watching TV. It takes just a few feet of space to step up and lift the weights. A little more to step up and kick.

I also have an Easy Strider from Wal*Mart. It fits in a closet when not in use. It's about $50. It stands about 1 foot high and is about 3' x 3' max. It's 2 pedals that you stand on and kinda stride/walk, with a battery operated calorie counter. My daughter got one similar that is a stair stepper. Same size, looks the same, but instead of a back and forth motion, the pedals go up and down.

Situps, pushups, squats, lunges, etc. All just take the space of your own body. And speaking of body...invest in a body ball.

As someone else mentioned, a mini trampoline is good too.

And then videos. You can have umpteen workouts by using videos. I prefer the WATP series. I've done them in tight spaces, like the few feet between my bed and dresser. I just turn sideways to do the sidesteps along the length of the bed, then turn back around to do the kicks.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote