Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #46  
Keep on Moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticHarpie View Post
I'm thinking of buying the Zumba Wii disk. Has anyone tried this? I'm interested in getting into Zumba, but there aren't any classes nearby and this is a much less expensive way to do it.
Yes, I've got the Zumba Wii and I thoroughly recommend it.It's great fun. You have to match the instructor's moves so that they change colour from orange to green. You get a belt to wear, which holds the Wii remote. The game includes lots of tutorials and different routines - calypso, mambo, salsa etc. Unlike a lot of fitness games, you get both a warm-up and a cool down as part of the routines.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #47  
Beware the Harpie

S/C/G: 225.4/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

So I bought the Wii Zumba and just got done my first attempt. Posterior? Meet foot.

Wow!

It was lots of fun, and when I couldn't keep up, I just free-formed (and fooled the Wii remote into changing the instructor green)! Aside from the puzzled looks from the dogs, there was no audience. Didn't even seem like "working out" aside from the fact that my heart was pounding and I was sweating.

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow.
CelticHarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I will be taking a zumba class this summer. I am really excited for it. I took one try me class and loved it!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 223/204/160

I am getting the Zumba DVDs.
I know lot of you have taken the classes and seem to love them.
What about the DVDs?
Whats you impression?
Are they worth it.
Do they keep your interest?
Easy to follow?
hhaffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 196/154.4/130

Height: 5'2

hhaffner, I enjoyed it a lot. I know that a few of the gyms near me offer the class, but I got the dvds instead. They're awesome and if you're a fan of aerobics dvds, in general, I think you'll like it.

BTW, there's a new Zumba system out. I've got The Total Body Transformation set, but Zumba Exhilarate looks awesome. Has anyone tried that set yet?
petitefleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #51  

I have done 2 Zumba classes and one SH-Bam class, and love them both. Only problem I have is my feet hurt for days after them, so it limits me to how often I do them, I can usually fit in 2x a week as long as there are several days in between because of my feet. They are fun and fast paced, and I do agree on the different instructors, I take the classes at my golds gym. Anyone else have hurting feet after?
LindsaysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #52  

Thanks petitefleur.
I have them. Now i just have to try them out
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #53  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I LOVE zumba. I like doing it with a coin belt at home. Makes you shake your hips even more. My friend and I did classes with it last year. I lose a lot of weight with it and you really break a sweat but don't even realize an hour has gone by until the cool down starts.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I want to try it! I need a zumba buddy!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #55  

kurisitaru thanks so much.
I plan to start the DVD's this week
Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

I miss doing Zumba.. Time to get back with it! I have the Cardio Party & 20-Minute Express dvds and the Zumba game on Kinect.. all great ways to work out & sweat at home. You can definitely get the full workout effect with the videos. I love the dvds.

Smashley, I used to go to classes alone. It was a good experience. Everyone tries to keep up with the instructor and the dances are fun. All ages, all body sizes.

Kaspara, all zumba instructors are taught the same basic steps and are also allowed to choreograph their own songs. In a zumba class, 70% of the music should be a blend of latin and international songs and 30% of the music is up to the instructor (learned this at a level 1 instructor training).

I agree with Tomato- if you have a choice, try out different classes and see who's you like best, since each instructor will add in their own style/flavor.

kma415, for zumba, definitely wear a sports bra and non-restrictive clothes (comfortable, maybe cotton).. tank top or tee shirt and shorts or sports pants/leggings. Sneakers with socks. Bring water! (late reponse, but for other newbies) Zumba has definitely helped the most with me losing weight. In 1 year, I've went from 140 to 115.. I give at least half of the credit to zumba (classes, dvds or game, 3-5x/week).

OakCliffMom, I hope you do give Zumba a try. I've tried getting my Mom to come with me in the past. Off-topic, but a fun, easy-for-beginners workout is Burlesque.. DFW offers some fun classes. Or go to the Zumba website and look for a Zumba Gold class, those are easier than regular zumba (they're made for older people & people new to exercise).

I can definitely say Zumba is one of the FUNNEST workouts I've done, making it easier to stick with (& come back to class).

petitefleur, I haven't tried Exhilarate but if you "Like/Fan" Zumba on Facebook, you'll see a few new song routines from Beto and other instructors.

LindsaysMommy, my feet have hurt a couple of times after class, but I probably jumped rope the same day. You might need better shoes (for absorbing impact) or add some gel inserts to give your feet more padding.

mhill0823, I'm like you, I need a zumba buddy! We should make a zumba challenge thread, so we can set goals and hold accountable

Y'all take care!
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote